Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Well there are only two teams, West Ham and Watford, between us and Brighton in fifteenth. That people are pining after Potter shows how far we've fallen and how far people's expectations for the club have fallen, should have much more ambition than that, I was going to say that he'd be a similar appointment to Smith, Lambert, Bruce and McLeish but those have actually achieved more than him.

And all that's not to say he won't become a very good manager, he's showing good promise, but we've been going for those types since O'Neill left and seen failure after failure. If we're going to let Smith go at least let it be for someone who's a genuine top manager that's achieved things at a decent level.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Well there are only two teams, West Ham and Watford, between us and Brighton in fifteenth. That people are pining after Potter shows how far we've fallen and how far people's expectations for the club have fallen, should have much more ambition than that, I was going to say that he'd be a similar appointment to Smith, Lambert, Bruce and McLeish but those have actually achieved more than him.

And all that's not to say he won't become a very good manager, he's showing good promise, but we've been going for those types since O'Neill left and seen failure after failure. If we're going to let Smith go at least let it be for someone who's a genuine top manager that's achieved things at a decent level.

Yeah I remember Paul Lamberts' amazing run in the Europa League a few seasons back.

I've followed Potter for years and he did an amazing job with Östersund, I know things that happens outside her majesties Isles doesn't count to some but I really rate Potter.

He's not someone I would have gone for now had we stayed in the PL, but 2 seasons back when we got new owners he was right up there with names I would have liked to replace Bruce.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

The Premier League can do one with the 5 sub rule. Worst decision ever.  It will be impossible for the smaller teams to beat the bigger ones. Oh hang on, that's what they want to happen.

The rigged game just got more rigged. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sne said:

They've also got a very good coach in Potter who has gotten his team to play the way he want's them to. They are a team.

I don't want a manager who stands there chewing gum the way he does. Close your mouth you disgusting pig. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mjvilla said:

I don't want a manager who stands there chewing gum the way he does. Close your mouth you disgusting pig. 

Guess Alex Ferguson is out of the picture then :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also saw Brighton concede two goals in the first 10 minutes yesterday playing out from the back and giving it away. They were nearly caught out several more times. Reminded me so much of us from the first half of this season. Decent football, good for a goal but mistakes at the back costly. There's a reason they have only just pulled away from the bottom 3 and this may be it. Would potter have got more than Smith with his style and our current crop of players? I doubt it. 

We have replaced an entire structure of football club from top to bottom, board room level, management, playing squad in 2 years.

Brighton have been spending premier league money in that same time and longer so is it any surprise they are a bit ahead of us? 

Edited by Mjvilla
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I also saw Brighton concede two goals in the first 10 minutes yesterday playing out from the back and giving it away. They were nearly caught out several more times. Reminded me so much of us from the first half of this season. Decent football, good for a goal but mistakes at the back costly. There's a reason they have only just pulled away from the bottom 3 and this may be it. Would potter have got more than Smith with his style and our current crop of players? I doubt it. 

We have replaced an entire structure of football club from top to bottom, board room level, management, playing squad in 2 years.

Brighton have been spending premier league money in that same time and longer so is it any surprise they are a bit ahead of us? 

We've also been spending PL money, even when we were in the Championship 

5 minutes ago, sne said:

We've also been spending PL money, even when we were in the Championship 

Attracting a different calibre of player whilst in the championship to the premier league though I'd argue. Even if we did spend it on shit.

13 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Attracting a different calibre of player whilst in the championship to the premier league though I'd argue. Even if we did spend it on shit.

Yeah, no one is arguing we didn't sign crap and threw money away.

12 hours ago, useless said:

There was similar fawning over David Wagner when he lifted Huddersfield out of the Championship. Didn't end up too well for him there in the end, and has been incredibly sketchy at Schalke once the Bundesliga resumed.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Bournemouth - Spurs will be a nice warm up game.

Bournemouth win here are we are in serious trouble.

To be honest I don't think Bournemouth winning is make or break. They have Leicester and Man City after this.

I mean it would be nice that they lose but regardless it's Watford or West Ham that we still need to catch. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I dunno, they have still got Leicester, Man City and Southampton left. 3 very tough games. Everton away last day also. Max I can see them getting is 5 points. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Anything you've seen to make you think Bournemouth are going to win? They've been much worse than us since the restart?

Just now, villalad21 said:

Spurs haven't looked convincing.

You didn't answer my question. If villa were playing spurs tonight, you'd be all over it saying spurs are going to win. What have Bournemouth done to make you think they may get a result against spurs?

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

You didn't answer my question. If villa were playing spurs tonight, you'd be all over it saying spurs are going to win. What have Bournemouth done to make you think they may get a result against spurs?

What did West Ham do to make you think they'd get a result against Chelsea?

Having watched Spurs twice since the break anything can happen really.

Edited by villalad21

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I didn't think they get a result against Chelsea? What? What on earth you going on about? We're talking about Bournemouth, not west ham.

The point I'm making is when it's villa, were guaranteed to lose. Every other team has got a potential result in them. It's a completely bizarre mindset to have. Bournemouth have been far worse than us since restart. They've just conceded 9 in the last 2 games. Yet you're thinking they may get a result.

They may, but the way you belittle villa and big up all the other side's is not the thinking of a villa fan. 

Edited by Mjvilla

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'll ask again, what have BOURNEMOUTH done, since the restart to make you think they may get a result?