Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

So who do we play in goal when Pepe Reina refuses to extend his contract? 

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Get some use out of Baston.

31 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

Nyland who for me is easily as good a keeper. 

My post was really about the nonsense and unfairness of playing after 30th June. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That really sound like an outlier though

Point is if you concede on average 2 goals per game it's damn hard to win football games and stay up..

Wigan 2010 ;) possibly others too

yes I get your point and it is hard yes but if football history tells us anything, it is that anything can happen 

27 minutes ago, useless said:

They have to be absolutely certain that it's safe before restarting, even with games behind closed doors, you're probably going to get groups of friends meeting up to watch the games in private as alternative to attending matches, which even if only happens in isloated incidents I imagine wouldn't be a good thing at all in terms of trying to stop the spread of the virus, football (the game that is, not the ball used to play the game) can be a very social thing even if not attending the actual game. Probably shouldn't be brought back at least until it's deemed safe enough to relax social distancing measures for society as an whole.

could you imagine the game where liverpool are likely to clinch the title. lets assume it's at anfield behind closed doors...there would be 50k fans lining the streets to greet the team coach with flares etc. behind closed doors means none in the stadiums..but as you say there will be numerous groups meeting up.

"lets just put a telly in the garden, it'll be easier to social distance"

"i had symptoms 2 months ago...dont worry lads i'm immune, come round mine"

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We are conceding 2 goals per game bro.

Staying up would be a miracle. I'd be amazed if any team in the PL history have survived while having the worst defensive record in the league.

So in the last quarter of the season we play a bit better and don't concede 2 a game? That stat isn't set in stone. McGinn is back, we will be better. We'll be taking the game to the opposition more instead of sitting back waiting for the opposition to run through us. 

France have cancelled ligue 1 and 2 

Government said no football until August so they pulled the plug on this season, they are meeting to discuss how it will end winner / Europe / relegation etc

Edited by villa4europe

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Watford chairman has said that football should be stopped until the stress on the NHS is eased. Finally someone with a bit of sense in the game. 

Knowing the Premier League I expect Watford to get a points deduction for not towing the party line

Isn’t that stating the obvious. Football isn’t going to return until the strain on the NHS has eased. Just depends on how long that will take 

All eyes will be on Angela Merkel and whether she gives the green light for Bundesliga to restart. If she goes the same way as the French then I can’t see this season restarting over here 

Yeah France is a massive game changer.

Think Germany will still give things a go given how far advanced they are but can see Italy and Spain voiding soon and then Premier league following suit.

Do PSG get given the league or is it no champion?

Just now, VillaChris said:

Yeah France is a massive game changer.

Think Germany will still give things a go given how far advanced they are but can see Italy and Spain voiding soon and then Premier league following suit.

Do PSG get given the league or is it no champion?

I agree Chris but France, Italy and Spain have all taken tougher lockdown measures than we have. Our govt have been quite soft here in enforcing them

I think it’s the big issue of Liverpool being so far clear at the top and ending a 30 year wait for a title that is preventing the season from being thrown out. 

Personally, I think the season should be postponed until it can be safe for BOTH players and fans, however long it takes to get to that stage. Selfishly as a villa supporter I don’t want our crucial games to be played behind closed doors, those are the sorts of games that the fans help win, but I also wouldn’t feel right with us getting a complete reprieve.

Edited by Woody1000
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Can see every other league cancelling it but Premier League just getting on with it.

I can. Our leaders are absolute rocket polishers both within the premier League and government. We didn't even let Europe help us get ventilators. This is another chance to assert our independence in a futile act of self harm, which at the end of the day is the sweet spot for BJ and his team of little Englanders.

Javier Tebas and La Liga would probably opt for a Weekend at Bernie's scenario with remote controlled corpses playing the games rather than cancelling the season.

Edited by sne
  • Haha 2