Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

The Dutch have the fairest solution. Deciding relegation this way is far beyond the Tevez/Mascherano debacle. We don’t even know when the next season will even begin. This would drag on in the court’s for months. We’ve got deep coffers. And well within our rights to argue that. 

Edited by The_Steve

If the season cannot complete, then I honestly don’t see any Premier League club being relegated. The legal ramifications would just be too time consuming, not to mention costly. I could, however, see two clubs being awarded promotion from the championship by the EFL if agreement can be made with the Premier League. I still believe the simplest legal route is to void the season completely and start the 2020/21 season as we started the 2019/20 season. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Well that will lead to us being relegated and it would be very hard to take, however, we are where we are and deserve to be where we are for a reason so.... **** knows ! 

Yeah but we haven’t failed yet! The season is a season for a reason.  It’s how you do over a season decides your position not 28 or 29 games.  A few games before we were 17th, it would’ve been unfair then.  

If we win our game in hand, it’s unfair then. More than half of the season we haven’t been in the bottom three...I think that is more for Bournemouth but yeah relegate now at a point....insane.

9F48A0D4-E99E-4F77-AD9C-F2D6C6EFB61F.jpeg

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What if they scrap the 29th fixture and base it on  28 games played and finalize the table by average point per game

Pretty sure that wouldn't help fix/solve the problem. They would just keep the four teams (us, Sheffield, City, and Arsenal) with an extra game in hand (27), as all 20 played match-week 29. 

The problem is that it’s what if’s, what’s fair.  If they decide to relegate teams without finishing the season without full fans with the current squads it’s going to be unfair whether that’s to any of the bottom six teams.  

It’s just arbitrary otherwise....level games, ppg, BCD....May as well just flip a coin or use a computer randomiser to guess results, or form a panel of experts to decide results....it just gets to the level of bizarreness.

Not sure how they will sort it out but we know it’s going to be unfair to somebody, I just hope it’s not us.

It doesn’t matter compared to the virus and deaths but at the same time I don’t want us to get shafted, we are good enough to do that to ourselves but so far we haven’t failed yet so shouldn’t be punished for it with relegation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

What if they scrap the 29th fixture and base it on  28 games played and finalize the table by average point per game

Because the weighting of games of who has played who and where is imbalanced.  

There is a reason we play every team home and away.  If every game in the season was as hard as the others your principle might apply but it isn’t.  Therefore 3/4 into a season, some teams will have had an easier run than others.  You might say that is minimal but in a league where one point or even goal difference can get you relegated, it’s enough.  

As I said on a previous post if we had played Palace at home (a fixture we still have to play) instead of Leicester away in our last game we may have won and therefore out of the relegation zone now still with a game in hand.  Under your system we would be safe, under your system now we are relegated......hence the season and weighting of games.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

The most unfair way of going about it would be to promote teams that haven't earned it and relegate teams before they deserve it. 

Until 38 games have been played the season isn't over and placings shouldn't be awarded. 

If you can't finish you cancel and void. 

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not sure how many times it needs to be explained that if every team has played an equal number of matches then you don't need to average anything, you just look at the league table 🤦‍♂️

Anyway, scrapping the 29th fixture (gameweek) doesn't help since we played that week too, so we'd still have a game in hand. You could cancel the gameweek of the League Cup final sure, but ultimately this sums it up best:

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Until 38 games have been played the season isn't over and placings shouldn't be awarded. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

I think it’s the big issue of Liverpool being so far clear at the top and ending a 30 year wait for a title that is preventing the season from being thrown out. 

Personally, I think the season should be postponed until it can be safe for BOTH players and fans, however long it takes to get to that stage. Selfishly as a villa supporter I don’t want our crucial games to be played behind closed doors, those are the sorts of games that the fans help win, but I also wouldn’t feel right with us getting a complete reprieve.

I agree with you, other than about it not feeling right for us to get a "complete reprieve".

I would feel the same about someone deciding that Norwich and Bournemouth, should accompany us down, with the season incomplete. I'm also confident that Watford, West Ham and Brighton, would be quite content to stay up at our expense. There isn't a fair way of deciding on relegation, without playing all the games in front of fans, so let's call the whole thing off. 😉

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I said it before I wouldn't be surprised if the next major football game will be Euro 2021

If we're waiting for a vaccine before resuming sport yes you might be right or just out by a month or two.

I'd like to think though eventually number of deaths and new cases will be below 100 although that will obviously take another few months. At that point with transmission so low and testing obviously scaled up  hopefully something can be worked out for football.

However I've always been of the opinion that next season is going to be disrupted and put on hold if you start a new season in August or September. Society will always have to be paused. I don't see any other outcome currently once winter fully hits.

I only fear that they would take the ppg decision. Other than that I don't think they can relegate. To be honest, adding two or even 3 teams won't be the worst decision. But even choosing them won't be an easy case.

Some are saying that the French League will decide about relegation and title, but I doubt they will. (Although Toulouse are far adrift and Amiens are almost as far as Norwich). So still it's different.

So let's say we get to a point in June where football can resume but it's in everyone's interest to wrap it up as soon as possible. This could be done in a week to decide promotion and relegation in a form of play-offs, pitting the top 3 of the Championship against the bottom 3 of the Premier League. But how do you decide who those teams will be?

Starting with the Premier League, as Villa have played one game less it would only be fair to look at where an extra 3pts would elevate us. That would be above Watford, in turn dropping them into the relegation zone. So, Watford vs Villa would decide who ends up in the drop zone (a draw would keep Watford up recognizing their 2pt advantage) and the bottom 3 would be decided. 

In the Championship, 3rd would play 6th and 4th would play 5th as in a normal play-off scenario with the winners meeting each other to decide on 3rd spot. The difference being that the semis would be single games.

Then top of Championship would play bottom of Premier League and so on and so forth in one off games, winner takes all.

28 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

So let's say we get to a point in June where football can resume but it's in everyone's interest to wrap it up as soon as possible. This could be done in a week to decide promotion and relegation in a form of play-offs, pitting the top 3 of the Championship against the bottom 3 of the Premier League. But how do you decide who those teams will be?

Starting with the Premier League, as Villa have played one game less it would only be fair to look at where an extra 3pts would elevate us. That would be above Watford, in turn dropping them into the relegation zone. So, Watford vs Villa would decide who ends up in the drop zone (a draw would keep Watford up recognizing their 2pt advantage) and the bottom 3 would be decided. 

In the Championship, 3rd would play 6th and 4th would play 5th as in a normal play-off scenario with the winners meeting each other to decide on 3rd spot. The difference being that the semis would be single games.

Then top of Championship would play bottom of Premier League and so on and so forth in one off games, winner takes all.

So much wrong with this but a few points;

1. Why would Watford play Aston Villa 3 times in a season?

2. Why would Championship teams ever play Premier League teams in a play-off?

3. If you're going to sort out relegation then surely you would have to sort out european places?

4. This would have to happen in all 4 divisions, so more games being played?

5. Who would get home advantage?

6. Would the games be behind closed doors?

7. What happens to Sheff Utd with their game in hand?

See @av1 post above - it's literally the fairest way bar none and I would say that whether we were first (ok, very unlikely), sixth, 11th or 20th. I know that's easy to say given our current position but these are crazy times (very sad) and football as much as we all love just isn't as important in the big picture! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

So much wrong with this but a few points;

1. Why would Watford play Aston Villa 3 times in a season?

2. Why would Championship teams ever play Premier League teams in a play-off?

3. If you're going to sort out relegation then surely you would have to sort out european places?

4. This would have to happen in all 4 divisions, so more games being played?

5. Who would get home advantage?

6. Would the games be behind closed doors?

7. What happens to Sheff Utd with their game in hand?

See @av1 post above - it's literally the fairest way bar none and I would say that whether we were first (ok, very unlikely), sixth, 11th or 20th. I know that's easy to say given our current position but these are crazy times (very sad) and football as much as we all love just isn't as important in the big picture! 

1 Because it's effectively a play-off

2 It represents a solution

3 Not really as they don't have a direct impact on the following season's league

4 Yes, but crucially over the same time period

5 The higher placed side. Pretty irrelevant anyway as they'll be no fans.

6 See 5

7 Play-off with Man Utd

It's a solution under extraordinary conditions. Not perfect, but perhaps a way of avoiding all the legal ramifications of cancelling the season. 

Sorry for offering an alternative suggestions to yours