Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Big assumption by them! That they are all asymptomatic!

Looks like Arsenal players maybe contenders for the Darwin Awards 2020

Well I can't say I've gone into the scientific impacts but yeah given Arteta would've been in close quarters with them on the training pitch in the week he started displaying symptoms I'm surprised there's no reports of any other positive tests in the Arsenal squad from around that time. Same with us given our masseur had a very bad strain of it a few weeks ago and he would've been in even close quarters with our squad around the Leicester game, seems Reina was the only one to suffer.

Does seem odd to me when half the Juve squad went down with it and Lukaku was claiming that in January most of the Inter squad had it in some form (and they were still playing every week back then).

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think they will be, footballers get there enthusiasm from the fans. They wont be arsed playing in empty stadiums especially for teams that have nothing to play for. So Liverpool after 2 games wont be arsed, every team except the bottom 6 and maybe 2 or 3 chasing Europe. Thats it.

Going to be a lot of dead rubber games

I reckon the premier are praying two out of us, Bournemouth, Brighton and West Ham just lose all games on resumption and be down with 2-3 left to play. They'd end the season then imo and decide europe at later date (and european competitions probably won't happen next season anyway).

55 minutes ago, useless said:

I hope the players aren't as scared of the season recommencing as some of the fans, don't know why so many, our fans and those of other clubs, are taking it for granted that we will be relegated if the season continues, it's not as if we're cut adrift we're two points from safety with a game in hand, this break might mean we will have some of our better players back too.

I Agree useless,

My gripes are actually not with just us potentially getting relegated through all this (although obviously it's a major concern) but with any team being unfairly relegated from all of the divisions as it's just plain wrong. I actually do think we may benefit from it all with McGinn having had chance to get stronger and a few others who were flagging having some time to recover / rethink etc which could be huge for us. Then of course you would hope DS & JT would have had chance to analyse things a little deeper & come up with some fresh ideas too maybe, all of which could help.

Of course i know fans of other clubs will "ASSUME" that these things are said purely because of being a Villa fan but frankly who cares. Basically they would say that too wouldn't they!

I couldnt care less if we get relegated, a lot more important things in life. I just dont think football should be starting back up especially without fans. Football is pointless without fans and this will be noticeable about how dire behind closed doors games will be

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I couldnt care less if we get relegated, a lot more important things in life. I just dont think football should be starting back up especially without fans. Football is pointless without fans and this will be noticeable about how dire behind closed doors games will be

Nail on the head.

If we were playing for promotion or for a place in Europe then most on here would be talking up the prospect of the season restarting. And by the same token you will have fans of other clubs who are desperate for the season to restart but if they were in our position then they'd be saying the opposite, basically most are just biased towards what suits their team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

If we were playing for promotion or for a place in Europe then most on here would be talking up the prospect of the season restarting. And by the same token you will have fans of other clubs who are desperate for the season to restart but if they were in our position then they'd be saying the opposite, basically most are just biased towards what suits their team.

you keep saying that and its frankly untrue, people are dying at an alarming rate and football should be the last thing on peoples mind. 

Not sure really. On redcafe most Man. United fans think it's mad they're thinking of playing football this quickly, plenty of same POV as Zat and Zhan. This is club in quarters pretty much of europa, quarters of FA cup and had nice momentum going in premier league given they beat Man. City in last game. Mind you they obviously don't want Liverpool winning the league at any cost so think that plays a part.

Haven't looked at a Wolves forum for ages so would be interested what the mood is on there given they've been slogging away since July, all for probably nothing now in europa.

I keep saying it because it's undoubtly true, go on any forum of any team with something to play for like promotion, a place in Europe, or a league title and the majority of them will want the season to continue, most fans of midtable clubs will also say it's the right thing to do if possible, no point in pretending our fans would be any different if we were in their situation, just like if they were in our situation the majority of them instead would want the season voided. And I'm sure people are well aware of the fact that people are dying, no one wants the season to begin again if it's not safe to do so, they just want to finish the season whenever it is safe.

There is a part of me that's wondering if all this talk of restarting in June or whenever is just posturing for the sake of the TV deals, presumably they're going to have be in a position to say that they've did all they ccould to get the season completed if they have to renegotiate.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I know what you mean but if no football is played unless there’s fans how can the game realistically survive in this country. 

No football until late 2021 would surely mean all contracts are cancelled and teams that survive would have to start from scratch again. 

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, useless said:

Actually, I think football shouldn’t start up, because people might die. Compared to that, I couldn’t give a f***k where we are in the League be it top or bottom.

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 2

It's also pretty disagreeable to use the fact that people are dying to suggest that anyone that wants the season to restart is somehow uncaring or unsympathetic, of course nobody wants the season to restart whilst it's not safe to do so, all that those who want it to restart are saying is wait until it is safe, however long that takes, and whilst there would be exceptions, I think people are kidding themselves if they think Villa fans on the whole would be any different if we were on the verge of winning a title, or gaining promotion, in fact if the Premier league were turn around tomorrow and say that the two options are to either finish the season or no more games at all and work out the final table on PPG average then suddenly most would be in favour of finishing the season (again when safe) if at all possible, and what's more there wouldn't be anything wrong in feeling that way.

Also if the season did restart, looking at the bigger picture that in itself would be a sign that things are getting better overall with the whole situation, so regardless of whether you care about the football side of things or not, that would surely be a good thing, so maybe it is worth giving a damn about even if it's not for footballing reasons..

Just to be clear whilst it would be nice to see us earn our premier league safety on the pitch and prove everyone wrong, I'd be relieved to see the season null and voided, but can also appreciate that I'm biased in feeling that way.

• Like 2

Times reporting that several Premier league clubs are against the idea of playing at neutral grounds, and also that UEFA want a decision on what the Premier league are going to do before May 21st... Haven't got a link to the article I think it's behind a paywall, but have taken the information from this image of the back of The Times...

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

I'm starting to get around to playing behind closed doors. There are more important things, but people need other things to think about, and that's what playing behind closed doors would give. Just go ahead with it.

• Like 1

Watford chairman has said that football should be stopped until the stress on the NHS is eased. Finally someone with a bit of sense in the game. 

Knowing the Premier League I expect Watford to get a points deduction for not towing the party line

• Like 2

Whilst I hope the season is null and void, I don't go along with what seems to be the general opinion on here that we will be relegated if the season continues. 

I still think we'll stay up.