Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

I couldnt care less if we get relegated, a lot more important things in life. I just dont think football should be starting back up especially without fans. Football is pointless without fans and this will be noticeable about how dire behind closed doors games will be

Have to say that I do care about getting relegated, but that I also agree with everything else you say. My problem would be starting up the league again now behind closed doors, no fans. It’s not a level playing field and if we were relegated under those circumstances I will be bitter for quite some time, the utter unfairness of it. Football should not seek to complete the 2019/20 season until fans are allowed into the games, as per the 28 ties already played to date. If that proves impossible without impacting on any potential 2020/21 season then the choice has to be made between which season to shelve, the current season or next. No club should sign up to cramming in games, potentially getting relegated, no gate receipts, very small summer transfer window, no adjustments on FFP. If they do get underway again, as they are currently talking of, then there has to be some very special compensation scheme in place for any clubs being relegated from the Premier League. FWIW, I still can’t help thinking that most of this talk about starting again is just propaganda designed to make it look like everything possible is being done to complete the season, when the reality is that it can’t. “Everything has been done legally”........blah blah blah.

• Like 1

Apparently (according to the Telegraph), Bundesliga clubs are debating whether or not to scrap relegation this season, even if their league does resume, says that premier league clubs have been made aware of this and are looking towards Germany for a plan on how to restart.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nabby said:

Also under consideration 

No Var 

Handball rule changed , if ball hits on the t'shirt line its not handball ..ie Mings against Leicester 

No penalty for fielding weakened teams 

Its almost like they are making it up as it goes along

How can you have some rules for three quarters of a season and then different ones for the last quarter?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"The Bundesliga is set to be the first major league to come back in the Coronavirus crisis, with plans for a return on 9 May. What happens there, and in other countries, will be instructive. The Premier League plans to take ideas about what does and doesn’t work from competitions like Germany’s – if they are played at all... Some connected sources in the Bundesliga and European football are dubious. They feel Spain and Italy could yet be voided, and that the German league will – at least – be delayed. It is currently the subject of huge debate, right up to government level. One source feels the Bundesliga may have to wait until schools re-open in some way, and that “there’s no way they’re going to start on 9 May”.

Independent

• Like 1

i do think we're unanimous in saying that football should only resume when safe. however i do agree with @useless in that our opinions would be different if we weren't in the bottom 3. yes we will have mcginn back fit but take a look at the optimism gauge thread from before football was stopped. it was looking bleak to say the least and many of us accepted relegation. its not unsympathetic to admit that if we were chasing a title that we would want the season to be completed. liverpool will win the league, regardless of which ground/country games are played in and whether fans are present or not. we cannot say the same with regards to our survival chances.

so i'm going to say it...i dont want the season to be completed. i see absolutely no possibility of the home games being played at villa park in front of 40k villa fans so i dont see how we have a fair crack at survival. however if i was a liverpool fan, i'd be crying out for games to be played PROVIDING key resources are not taken away where they are still required (ambulances etc)

i accept relegation, providing we have a fair chance...which i dont see we will have.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i accept relegation, providing we have a fair chance...which i dont see we will have.

I concede to having played 1 less home game with a crowd is massively unfair.

Still. We've really f***ed up this season. All those games against 10 men + Bournemouth doing the double over us. Criminal.

Us and Norwich are 500 % the worst teams in the league. There's no question about it.

Edited by villalad21

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Still. We've really f***ed up this season. All those games against 10 men + Bournemouth doing the double over us. Criminal.

Us and Norwich are 500 % the worst teams in the league. There's no question about it.

Not really though, we haven't f**ked up anything yet - there are still 9 games to play. Most people on VTsaid they would snap your hand off for 17th place this season...we are 2 points away from 17th with a game in hand. I'd say we are meeting expectations. If we are so clearly the worst team in the league then why are 3 other teams sat only 2 points ahead of us having played 1 game more? Maybe try some realism? 

• Like 2

There does suddenly appear to be a mad rush to restart the season. This is despite the potential health risks to players and those in attendance at games played behind closed doors, the resultant need to deploy police and medical staff at games, and the need to use thousands of test kits that could otherwise be made available to the NHS.   

If games go ahead, FIFA may well recommend allowing 5 substitutes per game and imposing no penalty for club's that field weakened teams. That would give an unfair advantage to clubs with larger squads and would also allow clubs that are already "on the beach" to either take off first choice players en masse during games or start games with much weakened teams, thus potentially gifting crucial points to teams that are involved in relegation/promotion fights. 

Games shouldn't be played until it's safe to do so,  they shouldn't be played on neutral grounds or in front of empty stadiums just to secure television money and they shouldn't determine relegation or promotion, unless played between two full strength teams under the same rules the season began with. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen any polling on this or anything, but my feeling is that there probably isn't a massive clamor to get football back up and running as a way of lifting spirits. I expect most people would rightly see football as a luxury right now and for the foreseeable future when many people are still dying from the virus every day, and with some social distancing measures expected to remain in place until there's a vaccine.

• Like 1

They have to be absolutely certain that it's safe before restarting, even with games behind closed doors, you're probably going to get groups of friends meeting up to watch the games in private as alternative to attending matches, which even if only happens in isloated incidents I imagine wouldn't be a good thing at all in terms of trying to stop the spread of the virus, football (the game that is, not the ball used to play the game) can be a very social thing even if not attending the actual game. Probably shouldn't be brought back at least until it's deemed safe enough to relax social distancing measures for society as an whole.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Not really though, we haven't f**ked up anything yet - there are still 9 games to play. Most people on VTsaid they would snap your hand off for 17th place this season...we are 2 points away from 17th with a game in hand. I'd say we are meeting expectations. If we are so clearly the worst team in the league then why are 3 other teams sat only 2 points ahead of us having played 1 game more? Maybe try some realism? 

We are conceding 2 goals per game bro.

Staying up would be a miracle. I'd be amazed if any team in the PL history have survived while having the worst defensive record in the league.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We are conceding 2 goals per game bro.

Staying up would be a miracle. I'd be amazed if any team in the PL history have survived while having the worst defensive record in the league.

Oops - you only have to go back to 2017/18 where West Ham conceded 68 goals, exactly the same as Stoke who were relegated and were only 19th! West Ham finished 13th!!

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

Oops - you only have to go back to 2017/18 where West Ham conceded 68 goals, exactly the same as Stoke who were relegated and were only 19th! West Ham finished 13th!!

That really sound like an outlier though

Point is if you concede on average 2 goals per game it's damn hard to win football games and stay up..