Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

interesting point from glenn murray on bbc this morning that if there was no relegation then theoretically there would be 3 clubs worth of unused parachute payments that could be used to help the lower leagues

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

interesting point from glenn murray on bbc this morning that if there was no relegation then theoretically there would be 3 clubs worth of unused parachute payments that could be used to help the lower leagues

We were talking about that on this thread about a week ago, there is something like 120m in the first season.  Imagine using that to spread across the lower leagues to save the clubs in distress.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We were talking about that on this thread about a week ago, there is something like 120m in the first season.  Imagine using that to spread across the lower leagues to save the clubs in distress.

over 1.5m to each of the 72 outside of the premiership by my calcs...doesnt sound much but would go a long way

10 hours ago, tinker said:

We should play our outstanding game against Sheffield Utd  if both teams have fully tested and 14 day quarantined players. 

I don't think that any players should be expected to play until it's safe to do so, which is likely to be some time from now.

I see that the "integrity" of the game, is now being mentioned as a reason they still need to have clubs relegated, as well as a reason for playing out the season. It's also been said that getting football restarted, will act as a boost to the public. Don't they know by now, that everyone knows it's all about the money? Will the public still be boosted by games played in empty grounds, should players/officials or their families, become seriously ill, due to a rush to restart the season?

End all this idea of Project restart already. Everything about it is immoral. Declare the 19/20 season a dead parrot now. Forget relegation and pay the parachute payments to football clubs outside the PL to help them to stay in business. Focus on next season and on starting that when it's safe to do so. Doing anything else is an unnecessary risk, that's not worth taking.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

over 1.5m to each of the 72 outside of the premiership by my calcs...doesnt sound much but would go a long way

1.5m to championship clubs, no it doesn’t but further down the leagues it will be like winning the lottery and saves clubs.....which in my mind is it purpose.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

But Leeds and west brom would.miss out on payments for promotion. If that had happened to us then Jack would have gone and there is a strong chance thats Leeds's would have there best players leaving if they dont get promoted.

I really think there will be relegation and people have to accept it. At the moment we are sleep walking in hoping for the best but i believe we will be relegated without playing another game unless we make it possible for us to level the games played , Sheffield will be motivated to play the game as well so we need to get together and give ourselves a fair chance to get out of this mess 

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

But Leeds and west brom would.miss out on payments for promotion. If that had happened to us then Jack would have gone and there is a strong chance thats Leeds's would have there best players leaving if they dont get promoted.

I really think there will be relegation and people have to accept it. At the moment we are sleep walking in hoping for the best but i believe we will be relegated without playing another game unless we make it possible for us to level the games played , Sheffield will be motivated to play the game as well so we need to get together and give ourselves a fair chance to get out of this mess 

See, I don’t think we’ll be relegated.  This is all for show at the moment because of money and they won’t relegated based on positions now.  

I think the only way we can get relegated is if we complete the season and fail, which I still think we would climb out of the relegation zone.

if the season ended and relegation was confirmed i dont think any of the bottom 3 could have any complaints. we can argue the game in hand till the cows come home but the current bottom 3 are the worst in the league IMO. we've been abysmal for a lot of the season and deserve relegation if that's the decision that's made. i'd LOVE it if we are handed a get out of jail free card though

Just now, nick76 said:

See, I don’t think we’ll be relegated.  This is all for show at the moment because of money and they won’t relegated based on positions now.  

I think the only way we can get relegated is if we complete the season and fail, which I still think we would climb out of the relegation zone.

They wont complete the season, it will take one player to get covid then two teams will have to sit 2 weeks out of any concentrated season, a killer to that idea. If they wait until the decision has to be made then average points will be  used and that means, by my reckoning , we go down. 

If we isolate our squad now and Sheffield do the same then we have a chance to force them to let us play if average points are going to be used or of they are not . We cant let indecision get us relegated.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

The only snag in that plan is that next season there could be 6 teams relegated.

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

if the season ended and relegation was confirmed i dont think any of the bottom 3 could have any complaints. we can argue the game in hand till the cows come home but the current bottom 3 are the worst in the league IMO. we've been abysmal for a lot of the season and deserve relegation if that's the decision that's made. i'd LOVE it if we are handed a get out of jail free card though

In your opinion but that isn’t based on fact

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

They wont complete the season, it will take one player to get covid then two teams will have to sit 2 weeks out of any concentrated season, a killer to that idea. If they wait until the decision has to be made then average points will be  used and that means, by my reckoning , we go down. 

If we isolate our squad now and Sheffield do the same then we have a chance to force them to let us play if average points are going to be used or of they are not . We cant let indecision get us relegated.

Again I disagree.  I agree the season won’t be completed but they won’t relegate anybody by any calc.

It’s beginning to look like the only thing that will stop the Premier League restarting is government intervention, enough clubs voting against, or players refusing to play. In the space of a day or two we’ve gone from a story of no relegations, to talk this morning that there has to be relegations. For the integrity of the game, obviously. FWIW I’d agree that without relegation there is no integrity to the competition if it restarts, I never thought that kite would fly. We’re getting closer to the dirty, nitty gritty politics that will decide the outcome. And FWIW I think enough Premier League clubs would vote to throw a few Premier League clubs overboard and out of the league to save their “integrity”. It feels to me, now, that the Premier League will award placings whether football starts again or not, It doesn’t now feel like there is going to be a voiding of the season. I’m now, unfortunately, believing that Villa’s sole chance to remain a Premier League club is by playing the remaining games BCD at neutral venues and winning enough points to stay in the league. Grossly unfair and makes the task even harder than it would have been. But my belief is that if clubs vote to block a restart at this coming Fridays meeting, then the next step will be to hold a vote on awarding positions as they stand, and I feel fairly confident in saying that I think there’d be enough clubs voting for that for it to carry. There will undoubtedly be clubs talking to each other, and there will be back stabbings galore in the coming days as “understandings” between clubs are broken left, right, and centre. Things are close to getting ugly. Really ugly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

In your opinion but that isn’t based on fact

well...we're the 3 lowest placed teams in the league with 3/4 of the season gone, so sorta is based on some degree of fact

7 minutes ago, tinker said:

Well, to be fair...if the squads are tested and are negative, there is no reason for a 2 week isolation.

It's more what if we have Jack, Mings and McGinn all testing positive and ruled out for the season, would that be fair? 

As long as they cancel relegations I think we should be ok if they decide to play. But it won't be the Premier League. It will be the £750m summer tournament which would be the preseason for 2020/21 and nothing else.

Liverpool will play to get the points they have to get, and after that it's kids and squad players. The same goes for a lot of the other clubs as well. Especially if there is no relegation. 

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

well...we're the 3 lowest placed teams in the league with 3/4 of the season gone, so sorta is based on some degree of fact

Not really, we still have a game in hand.

we have spent more of the season outside the bottom 3 than in it, like I showed in a previous post.

Now is just a snapshot during a season and could’ve easily been at a different time.  That would’ve been unfair to other teams just as it is to us now.

• Like 3