Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 hours ago, useless said:

Heaton turned Burnley's  season around last year and they didn't want to sell him, most of their fans  wanted him as first choice this season, Bournemouth signed Mings as a wing-back which was the position he was playing for Ipswich, only reason he couldn't get in their team was because after his injuries he lost a bit of pace that meant he was no longer as affective in that position, we paid £20m plus for him no point in playing that signing down. Also this idea of us spending an average of £10m on each of our players doesn't really work as an excuse to play down our chances either we paid £20m plus for both Mings and Wesley, we paid £16m for Luiz and most were of the opinion that he was worth more, we paid paid £17m for Targett, if we were to sell either McGinn or Grealish you'd be looking at big money for the both of them. It's not as if our team is built up of players with a market value of £10m.

As I clearly said in my original post, I was very happy with the business we did in the transfer window and personally I highly rate Mings, Heaton etc and I am very very happy that we have them. 

My comment was in response to your view that given the amount spent we should now be able to “forget about relegation altogether” and maintain our focus on more “ambitious targets” 

Whichever way you cut it we bought 13 players for £135m - that’s around £10m per player on average (mentioning only those that cost more than £10m does not change the average). Tranfermarkt values our squad as the 18th most valuable in the premier league (above only Norwich and Sheffield) 

The crux of this discussion is that my opinion (in view of the above) is that whilst I would love us to do better, I believe we will have done brilliantly to finish 17th and your view is that having spent £135m relegation should not even be a concern for us - each to their own!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Whichever way you cut it we bought 13 players for £135m - that’s around £10m per player on average (mentioning only those that cost more than £10m does not change the average). Tranfermarkt values our squad as the 18th most valuable in the premier league (above only Norwich and Sheffield) 

The crux of this discussion is that my opinion (in view of the above) is that whilst I would love us to do better, I believe we will have done brilliantly to finish 17th and your view is that having spent £135m relegation should not even be a concern for us - each to their own!

You're being polite here, but your opinion is spot on, and anyone disagreeing is deluded and innumerate.

Spend in a single transfer window is irrelevant. We spent less than Man City in the 2019 window. Does that mean we should finish above them?

If you want to bring money into it, you have to look at squad value, wage bills, etc. and activity over multiple transfer windows. We're very clearly hovering around the relegation zone (15th to 18th) by those measures.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sne said:

Bournemouth seem jammy as f.

They stole the points against us and at least looking at the stats from yesterday against Southampton the did it again.

35% possession, 6 shots against 25, all 3 shots on target results in goals, much worse passing % and beaten in every other category except goals scored.

Will it last or will they run out of luck?

Teams who outperform their stats (shots, possession, xG, etc.) tend to be those with good strikers and keepers. In Bournemouth's case, when a decent chance falls to Callum Wilson or Josh King, you usually expect them to bury it, and then they have other threats in Solanke, Harry Wilson, etc.

It was a similar story with Leicester when Vardy was on fire. Regularly won games without doing well on any of the stats.

It does of course raise the question of whether we need another striker.

• Like 2

First of all I haven't said that given "the amount spent we should now be able to forget about relegation altogether” nor is it my "view", so that's a lie. I said if another team had have spent what we've spent in the same circumstances then people on here would be saying that that team should be good aiming to avoid a relegation battle, and if not people on here and pretty much every other football would be laughing at said football team for spending so much but still having a poor season which is pretty much what happened to Fulham.

Also I haven't said "that having spent £135m relegation should not even be a concern for us" either, so that's another lie, so not sure how anyone can say you're being 'polite'. All I originally said is that if we finish the season having just avoided relegation then it will be a season well done but in the meantime we should be aiming for higher than that, which I'm pretty sure will be the mindset of Smith, the squad and everyone at the club.

1 hour ago, useless said:

First of all I haven't said that given "the amount spent we should now be able to forget about relegation altogether” nor is it my "view", so that's a lie. 

“........I bet if another team had have spent what we did in the summer in the same circumstances most on here would be saying that they should be looking to avoid a relegation fight altogether.......”  

Very confusing! So your main point was that given the amount spent “most on here” would be saying “that we should be looking to avoid the relegation fight altogether” but when someone argues against that you are claiming that this is not your personal view

The fact is that “most on here” realise that we have a young, relatively inexperienced playing and management team at this level and given the example of Fulham last year who tried enact a “similar” plan (badly) any sensible supporter would realise that survival during our first year in the PL will be a major achievement  

Also, I’m sure no one would disagree that the best way to take on the season is to take a positive approach and go into every game looking to try and win - of course a positive attitude is beneficial 

My argument with you is that you seem to imply that anyone who feels 17th will be a good return is negative and (your exact words) “needs to grow a heart”

We’ve done this one to death so let’s just agree to disagree

Again I haven't said that "the amount spent we should now be able to forget about relegation altogether” nor is such an idea my "view", and what you quote above doesn't contradict that no matter how much you change the size or put in bold. And I claim that it isn't my personal view is because it isn't my personal view I haven't said what you're saying I've said, I haven't said that we should avoid a relegation battle altogether because of the money spent, I've said numerous times including on this page and the pages before it, that if we finish seventeenth it we will have had a good season, that doesn't mean to say we can't hope for and aim for better. Also I haven't said that anyone who feels finishing 17th is a good return is negative or needs to grow a heart, again that's another lie. You're the one misquoting me and taking my words out of context.

14 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

My worry is we'll start clicking just as we start a shit run against the huge teams, lose every one by a goal or two which will then really destroy confidence 

Losing 1-0 or 2-1 to Man. City or Liverpool could be "good" results in the long run if we finish level on points with Watford at the end of the season.

4 hours ago, useless said:

Again I haven't said that "the amount spent we should now be able to forget about relegation altogether” nor is such an idea my "view", and what you quote above doesn't contradict that no matter how much you change the size or put in bold. And I claim that it isn't my personal view is because it isn't my personal view I haven't said what you're saying I've said, I haven't said that we should avoid a relegation battle altogether because of the money spent, I've said numerous times including on this page and the pages before it, that if we finish seventeenth it we will have had a good season, that doesn't mean to say we can't hope for and aim for better. Also I haven't said that anyone who feels finishing 17th is a good return is negative or needs to grow a heart, again that's another lie. You're the one misquoting me and taking my words out of context.

Great - it seems we’re now in full agreement then that 17th would be a good finish but we can hope for better and that the best way to tackle the season is with a positive approach. Thanks for the interesting discussion 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wolves are going down

Would be hilarious to see along with Fosun clearing off and their 'day in the sun' lasting 5 minutes. I really dont mind Wolves as a club, never have, always been irrelevant but their fans that have piped up over these last 2 years would make this scenario satisfying

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Would be hilarious to see along with Fosun clearing off and their 'day in the sun' lasting 5 minutes. I really dont mind Wolves as a club, never have, always been irrelevant but their fans that have piped up over these last 2 years would make this scenario satisfying

I think that is pretty unlikely sadly but I would be absolutely pissing myself. 

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Our results against Palace, West Ham and Bournemouth looking better with hindsight (despite the Wolves equaliser)

In this league I think results on an individual level mean very little. Its collecting the points, getting to the magic 40 number. There are surprising results every week, and its why we should never rule out a game as a potential 3 points, including today. 

• Like 1