Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Very poor? With a complete squad overhaul and having played 3 top half sides, I feel OK about having 4 points. Not good, not terrible. 

I don’t know how many points people were expecting from the opening five games. From the teams played, I don’t think any will be finishing in the bottom five or six.

It wouldn’t have been laughed at if it was said we’d lose to spurs and Everton, draw a couple and maybe nick a win from the other three. So maybe five points was a realistic shout.

But I know what it’ll be, Norwich beat Man City so why can’t we beat 10 man West Ham?

There are issues, some will work themselves out, others will need to be rectified in January. Not ecstatic,  but not panicking either. I think we’ll pick up points in games that we’re not expecting much.

• Like 1

Might only be 5 games in and it might be hasty but I don't care. We have a serious problem with the lack of goal threat, we don't look like scoring from anywhere on the pitch. 

Wingers don't look good enough at all, Wesley really doesn't inspire me with any confidence and McGinn and Grealish haven't been anywhere near there best so far. I'm hoping we just push through until January and then sign some actual goal scorers because christ we need it. 

We should be looking to beat West Ham at home regardless of what City do against Norwich. Plus if you only beat teams in the bottom five then that will only get you fifteen points over the season at the most, and considering that in that situation we'd be one of those bottom five teams, then not being able to play ourselves we'd only have twelve points. It seems some are too scared to admit that things aren't going very well at the moment, and too scared to hope for any better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

We should be looking to beat West Ham at home regardless of what City do against Norwich. Plus if you only beat teams in the bottom five then that will only get you fifteen points over the season at the most, and considering that in that situation we'd be one of those bottom five teams, then not being able to play ourselves we'd only have twelve points. It seems some are too scared to admit that things aren't going very well at the moment, and too scared to hope for any better.

West Ham are miles better team than us, wouldn't be shocked if a 20 point gap by May

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Very poor? With a complete squad overhaul and having played 3 top half sides, I feel OK about having 4 points. Not good, not terrible. 

Very poor is too strong. But it is relegation form if stretched over a season, so we need to improve.

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

On a positive note. We are meeting our target. Until we are miles away from 17th we just need to accept that this is what the season will be.

Yep, happy enough after 5 games.

Strangely exactly in the position i thought we’d be.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Very poor is too strong. But it is relegation form if stretched over a season, so we need to improve.

Its true but we did start 3 weeks behind other teams with a new squad with a difficult enough start. Except Palace all our opponents will prob be looking at top 10 finishes 

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Well that’s not really what I said, but take from it what you will.

And actually if you beat the bottom five teams, you can reach up to 30 points.

Don’t mind me, I’m too scared to hope for better, just not too scared enough to prevent me from knowing that we play everyone twice.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Its true but we did start 3 weeks behind other teams with a new squad with a difficult enough start. Except Palace all our opponents will prob be looking at top 10 finishes 

Fair point. But we've only played 1 of the 'big six' so far. After next week we'll have played 2, and we'll be 15% of the way through the season, so that might be a better measure. Hopefully we can nick a point off the Arse and we'll all be feeling better.

We still should be fancying our chances of beating them, as we should every team outside of the top six, outside of which everyone is much of a muchness. All this talk of playing down our chances against every team we play besides the worst three or four sides in the division is ridiculous, what's the point of beingin the Premier league if we're just going to accept bad results accept against two or three other teams. The thing to remember is that I'm the one being positive by saying we can and should be doing better, rather than those who talk as if we don't stand a chance.

• Like 1

Well thirty points would still leave us in the bottom five, again meaning that we can't play ourselves, meaning the most points we could get in that situation would still leave us with only 24 points, so my point still stands. If we're to stay up we're going to need to beat more than just the five or so worst teams in the division.

When McLeish was in charge I vowed to never drink another cup of coffee until we got another win, I waited that long that I ended up quitting coffee as I lost the taste for it.

Edited by useless

Just now, useless said:

Well thirty points would still leave us in the bottom five, again meaning that we can't play ourselves, meaning the most points we could get in that situation would still leave us with only 24 points, so my point still stands. If we're to stay up we're going to need to beat more than just the five or so worst teams in the division.

Really would help if you quoted posts if you’re going to reply.

Anyway....

Which is why I also said in my original post we’ll be picking up points against sides we’re maybe not expected to. I didn’t realise I had to explain it point by point.

Everton aren’t going to be in the bottom five. West Ham aren’t going to be in the bottom five. Yet we picked up four points there. 

The point about the teams we’ve played so far not likely ending up in a relegation battle is to highlight the notion that maybe the start hasn’t been super easy and we shouldn’t have expected our points tally to be double figures yet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

The simple way to think about it is we need roughly a point per game. That isn't enough to *guarantee* safety, but it's enough to be in with a shout of it at least. 4 points from 5 games isn't desperately far off that, though contrary to some I would argue we've had a fairly kind opening run of games, so I downweight it a bit. If we lose to Arsenal and beat Norwich, we'll have 7 from 7 and that would be okay.

• Like 2

Our biggest problem is pace and strength wide. Both sides of the pitch. Apart from that I think we are okay. Yes not bringing in another CF was a rick but we aren't in terrible shape... That being said I do worry that the lack of threat in wide areas is stifling the Team as a whole at the moment and if not addressed will have a massive impact on where we finish.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

We’ve already took 4 points and yet to play bottom 8.

It doesn’t work that way anyway. We have few issues mainly attacking. Anyway, nicking these points is important especially with clean sheets. We definitely are more confidence at the back.

5 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We’ve already took 4 points and yet to play bottom 8.

It doesn’t work that way anyway. We have few issues mainly attacking. Anyway, nicking these points is important especially with clean sheets. We definitely are more confidence at the back.

It hasn't been that hard either though. Three of our five games have been at home, and we've only played the 'top six' in 20% of the matches, instead of 30% over the season.

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The simple way to think about it is we need roughly a point per game. That isn't enough to *guarantee* safety, but it's enough to be in with a shout of it at least. 4 points from 5 games isn't desperately far off that, though contrary to some I would argue we've had a fairly kind opening run of games, so I downweight it a bit. If we lose to Arsenal and beat Norwich, we'll have 7 from 7 and that would be okay.

I think we’ve played a reasonable cross section. I don’t think we’ve played any out and out relegation candidates (and hence had no “six pointers”). We’ve also not played the big two whom I would suspect most will say we’ll pick up zero points from. 

A point a game is probably a decent rule of thumb for a safety target.

Edited by Shropshire Lad