Selling Villa Park?

MikeMcKenna

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

I don't think anyone purposely goes out to mismanage. Sometimes they just aren't up to the task or circumstances change

Take our own Lerner for example, the first few years were unbelievable and it seemed he could do no wrong (charity shirt sponsor, free coaches etc), with a little bit of luck (or a better manager) he could have taken us into the champions league.

Then he either lost interest (didnt he go through a divorce?) or couldnt afford to carry on spending the way he did anymore. I genuinely believe he was sincere, but things got so bad we ended up getting relegated and now he's remembered as a disaster.

I don't remember too many concerns or people asking questions when only Man City had spent more money than Randy over a number of years at one point.

I don't think anyone buys a club with the plan of destroying it.

Lerner was just an idiot. It all went downhill the day he appointed Mcliesh. I’ll never get over that. 

• Like 2

I think some of those comments on Lerner are a bit harsh.....I don't think he was liked just because he wasn't Doug.

When he came in, we'd just appointed a good Manager who most people were relatively happy with, he got his chequebook out for players and we signed some good ones too, early on. Carew, Young etc.

Then came the sponsorship/partnership with Acorns which actually made me really proud, and I'm not nor have I been personally affected by what goes in in a hospice, he renovated the Holte Hotel which again resonated with me as for pretty much the entirety of my time supporting the club I'd become accustomed to walking past it in it's dilapidated and often graffiti covered state.

That MoN ultimately wasted a lot of money isn't something to directly blame Lerner for, he was taking advice from someone he thought could trust. Of course it all went downhill and we'll probably never know the ins and outs of it all but I think to write off his entire tenure based on the last 5 years of it is a little harsh.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

People probably thought the same thing about Sisu and Owen Oyston at some point or other. 

Don’t think anyone ever thought that Sisu were anything but asset strippers.

Is that what people really think of our current owners?

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Don’t think anyone ever thought that Sisu were anything but asset strippers.

Is that what people really think of our current owners?

I'm not really going to die on a hill for these specific examples, if you don't think they're suitable. Just replace them with 'Randy Lerner' if you prefer, it doesn't change the point. 

3 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Along came Learner who was instantly liked (by all) because he wasn't Doug. I think Learner was well intentioned but naive and . . . also knew nothing about football and running a football club.

Along comes "Dr" Charlaton, who was instantly liked (by many) because he wasn't Learner.

Along come Sawiris and Edens . . .

I've removed what you actually wrote, which I appreciate is unfair, and you do make some good points. However, *my* point is you could equally well replace '. . .' with 'who were instantly liked by all because they weren't Xia' and it would fit just as well. 

Nobody knows our owners' intentions. Not one of us. They never said a word about our club before they bought us, they aren't fans, and nobody here knows them. 

• Like 2

Truth of the matter is, if our new owners are intent on asset stripping, us having the ground wouldn’t be much use. Having a ground would be pointless if there was no functioning club to play matches on it. 

17 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Yeah. The Milwaukee Bucks are moving in next week. 

Can we have their stadium then?

It's all swanky and new.

Travel might be a hassle thou.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, sne said:

It's all swanky and new.

I'm a Packers fan so Villa moving to Wisconsin works for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 21/05/2019 at 16:25, HanoiVillan said:

I've removed what you actually wrote, which I appreciate is unfair, and you do make some good points. However, *my* point is you could equally well replace '. . .' with 'who were instantly liked by all because they weren't Xia' and it would fit just as well. 

Nobody knows our owners' intentions. Not one of us. They never said a word about our club before they bought us, they aren't fans, and nobody here knows them. 

But they haven't been instantly liked by all, in fact there were quite a few reservations bandied around at takeover time. True, we dont know their true intentions (just like we didnt know Randy's or Xia's) but shall we just decide they are in it to destroy us (because for some reason our thought process is they might) or shall we look at what they have actually done since they took over and judge them on that, rather than fears about what they *might* do?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sne said:

It's all swanky and new.

Can't be worse than getting off the Aston expressway 😂

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 2

I dont think Lerner was an asset striper at all but that he stopped wanting to fund Villa out of his own pocket (Maybe due to his wealth going down due to the divorce).  He lost interest and tried to bring in people who would manage it for him. Then due to his bad appointments the club was struggling to survive.  But at least Lerner wasnt as bad as Ellis Short up in Sunderland.

The Doc got carried away and gambled upon us getting promotion.  He ran out of money as there were no issues when he was transferring money from China during the first season to pay and keep Villa running.  He has also swallowed his pride and found better owners to take over, and the way it worked helped them take over quickly and easily.  See Bury currently for an Owner who has run the club into the ground but will not sell to buyers who are enabling him to make a profit.

The new guys do seem totally different but only time will tell.

On 22/05/2019 at 05:55, Mazrim said:

I'm a Packers fan so Villa moving to Wisconsin works for me.

As someone from Detroit, this is complete blasphemy!!!  You think supporting Villa is tough?  Try growing up watching the Detroit Lions consistently be the worst run NFL team for 30 years!

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

As someone from Detroit, this is complete blasphemy!!!  You think supporting Villa is tough?  Try growing up watching the Detroit Lions consistently be the worst run NFL team for 30 years!

You’ve got MC5 and we’ve got Black Sabbath . We should both be very grateful. 

5 hours ago, KMitch said:

Worse than Cleveland? At least you had Megatron for a while. But yeah, you're in tough company in our division.

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You’ve got MC5 and we’ve got Black Sabbath . We should both be very grateful. 

Detroit and Birmingham are probably 2 of the most important cities in music history.

Â