Selling Villa Park?

MikeMcKenna

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

OK. Which of the following is incorrect.

Which company currently has Villa Park on its balance sheet?

Edit: And for an explanation of separate legal entities:

The term “separate legal entity” is a fundamental concept in law that underlies business law and legal liability.

Edited by snowychap

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I haven’t got faith in our owners because I think they have the clubs best interests at heart. I just think its very unlikely they would behave in a matter that could tarnish their reputations.  

Now the last owner and his CEO were a different story. 

Maybe, maybe not. They are billionaires, their reputation is based in the main part on their wealth. We wouldn't be the first sports club to be screwed over by billionaire owners with wealth to protect. 

They may not even mean to screw us (or their reputation) over. It could be an unintended consequence down the line. The overwhelming evidence however is that billionaires are bad people and separating football clubs from their stadia is a bad idea, why would we ignore that?

I'd see the issue if they were selling it to anyone besides themselves.

If the owners own the club and stadium under one company or two companies, it doesn't make a difference. Its a technicality. Still the same owner. We have to have faith  that they have our club interest at heart. And if they don't, it doesn't matter whether its listed under one or two coampanies, they're still the owners. 

I'd be more worried that there isn't a certain percentage of the club that's owned by the fans. Take any owner, they can break the club apart and sell it asset by asset if they like it. Its out of our hands. 

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 3

Surely the people who run FFP and do the investigations can see beyond such a trick?

I think we are jumping to conclusions, personally I think this new company "NSWE Stadium" is more likely to do with ground improvements to keep the funds separate from running Aston Villa as a whole, as after all stadium improvements are exempt from FFP so they probably need a separate joint account with both their names so they can split the cost evenly. Either for a new stadium or a new North stand.

Its not a case of seeing beyond anything. If theres a loophole in the rules, a technicality, there's nothing they can do about it except issue new regulations. 

To make my position clear, I don't know for sure if there are any such loopholes. I know that if anybody will find them, super rich people experienced in sports, allied to the guy that wrote the regualtions will find them.

And I agree that VP being sold beyond control of the owners is a big no no. I very much doubt that would ever happen tough as it makes little sense. They would sell commercial naming rights first.

I dont trust these new guys implicitly, but their reputation is excellent. Seeing how they basically saved this club and have made mostly if not exclusively good calls since, I would be inclined to give them some respect and trust.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I find it astounding the level of faith people seem willing to place in our owners after the last couple of wide boys who rolled through. Truly remarkable. There's a ton of evidence out there as to why this is a bad idea, we would be wise not to ignore it.

What are you thinking they will do though?

Surely anything negative that they could do with this move could be done at absolutely any point of their ownership if they chose to. 

If in 5 years they have the idea to sell the ground and the club separately, they could do still do that regardless of what happens now? I don't see what difference it makes providing that they own both assets. 

It's shit that FFP forces them to make these kind of decisions, and as a matter of principle i'd rather the ground and the club didn't get separated, but I don't see it as a huge risk given the fact that they will still own everything.

I know hindsight us a wonderful thing but let's look at our last two wide boys.

One a billionaire through inheritance that showed with 2 Sports teams that he couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. 

One a supposed billionaire (though nothing could be traced) who tried to use the villa brand to get commercial building rights into Birmingham and the UK who transferred all the debts onto the club whilst looking like he was 'investing'.

Now let's look at NSWE. Both self made billionaires with traceable/transparent  accounts to show their actual worth.  Plus proven track record of turning around a sports team (Bucks). They don't cone across as the wideboy sort to me.

• Like 3

On 18/05/2019 at 23:30, briny_ear said:

Think what happened at Coventry was a consequence of the nature of the company who “bought” them, not any specific deal on the ground, although obviously the ground has featured large in the drama. The lesson is don’t invite crooks to run your club.

Sorry I haven't been on to respond, Coventry would have been my first example as they are the biggest at the moment. The owners essentially stripped the assets out for a quick buck. Not saying that is what is happening here but the ground would no longer be owned by the club, that means we have to rent indefinitely and renting is dead money. Another example would be (on a much smaller scale) Worcester City.

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I haven’t got faith in our owners because I think they have the clubs best interests at heart. I just think its very unlikely they would behave in a matter that could tarnish their reputations.  

Now the last owner and his CEO were a different story. 

People probably thought the same thing about Sisu and Owen Oyston at some point or other. 

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

People probably thought the same thing about Sisu and Owen Oyston at some point or other. 

I don’t know who either are but a google search of Owen Oyston suggest he was small fry next to our owners.  More of Dr Xia. 

Whos Sisu?

edit: I see it’s a hedge fund. Still nowhere near the level of our owners in my opinion. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t know who either are but a google search of Owen Oyston suggest he was small fry next to our owners.  More of Dr Xia. 

Whos Sisu?

The company who own Coventry. 

Our owners are not necessarily more virtuous just because they're richer. 

• Like 3

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

The company who own Coventry. 

Our owners are not necessarily more virtuous just because they're richer. 

Maybe not and I’m probably being naive. 

But if you a multi billionaire what would you gain out of mismanageming an Internationally recognised historic English football club and being responsible for their demise. I just can’t see it. 

9 hours ago, New_Hope said:

I know hindsight us a wonderful thing but let's look at our last two wide boys.

One a billionaire through inheritance that showed with 2 Sports teams that he couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. 

One a supposed billionaire (though nothing could be traced) who tried to use the villa brand to get commercial building rights into Birmingham and the UK who transferred all the debts onto the club whilst looking like he was 'investing'.

Now let's look at NSWE. Both self made billionaires with traceable/transparent  accounts to show their actual worth.  Plus proven track record of turning around a sports team (Bucks). They don't cone across as the wideboy sort to me.

Not to mention one of them is on the board of directors and the largest shareholder of the 2nd largest sports brand in the world.  

Why on the earth would he have sinister intentions to make a quick book from our football club?

These guys are the real deal in my opinion and we’re very lucky they own the club. I’m not comcerned in the slightest.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But if you a multi billionaire what would you gain out of mismanageming an Internationally recognised historic English football club and being responsible for their demise. I just can’t see it. 

What did Randy Lerner get out of it?

'Mismanaging' doesn't have to be deliberate neglect, it could just be being useless at running a football club. The experience of the three owners who've held this club through my lifetime has led me to the firm belief that owners don't have to be evil to be crap at it, but crap they often were anyway. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What did Randy Lerner get out of it?

'Mismanaging' doesn't have to be deliberate neglect, it could just be being useless at running a football club. The experience of the three owners who've held this club through my lifetime has led me to the firm belief that owners don't have to be evil to be crap at it, but crap they often were anyway. 

I guess only time will tell. 

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't think anyone purposely goes out to mismanage. Sometimes they just aren't up to the task or circumstances change

Take our own Lerner for example, the first few years were unbelievable and it seemed he could do no wrong (charity shirt sponsor, free coaches etc), with a little bit of luck (or a better manager) he could have taken us into the champions league.

Then he either lost interest (didnt he go through a divorce?) or couldnt afford to carry on spending the way he did anymore. I genuinely believe he was sincere, but things got so bad we ended up getting relegated and now he's remembered as a disaster.

I don't remember too many concerns or people asking questions when only Man City had spent more money than Randy over a number of years at one point.

I don't think anyone buys a club with the plan of destroying it.

• Like 1

Â