Christchurch terror attack

Chindie

my first thought watching the video was wow i cant believe he filmed it, my 2nd was i didnt know you were allowed that kind of weapon in NZ, my main thought while watching it all was probably on the weapon, trying to see what was written on it, trying to see what options he'd added to it, trying to think of any reason / justification for someone owning that kind of gun outside of the military, after that it was why did he only travel between the 2 rooms rather than kicking in the doors or going in to the other areas (hopefully some people managed to hide and survive), then i look at the reaction to see if they label him as a "gunman" rather than a terrorist and who tries to claim him as mental rather than racist 

the violence, the religion of the victims, the horror of it all....i'm not shocked by it anymore, its the shit world we have created

1 hour ago, momo said:

Very few posts here. Is it because the victims are Muslims?

Think it has just become normal now, Unless something happens in England/France/Spain a mass shooting bareley raises an eyebrow anymore. It's just become something bad that happens miles away. If he hadn't filmed it,with stills from that now being on all news outlets i'm not sure it would even have got as much attention as it is getting.

Not saying it's right but when tens/hundreds of people are getting slaughtered every week all over the world people just stop noticing/caring.

A JeM suicide bomber killed 40 police/security staff in India a couple of weeks ago, barely even made the news.

The only real surprising thing anymore is that the words "thoughts & prayers" are not the top trending thing worldwide on twitter every single day

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

What next ? A revenge attack on a church/synagogue/other public gathering ? Probably. That's what this piece of filth doesn't realise.

Oh, I think he does. It's the exact same mentality as the jihadis - escalation is precisely what they want, they get a kick out of the whole idea of 'race war' and armageddon. Bloodlust, and not bothered about whose blood it is. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

ISIS and these White Nationalist communities are identical.

without defending White Nationalist communities , I don't think they are comparable

ISIS have been carrying out ethnic cleansing  , raping , sexual violence and slavery  , beheading  , mass executions  , attacks with chemical weapons .. destroying monuments they believe to be Idolatry  , kidnappings  , with an aim of idea of a forming its own Caliphate 

the right wing nutters haven't regressed to that level ...yet

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm just glad it's all over now. 

I think this attack is probably the end of all future attacks. 

Not sure if serious. 

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

without defending White Nationalist communities , I don't think they are comparable

ISIS have been carrying out ethnic cleansing  , raping , sexual violence and slavery  , beheading  , mass executions  , attacks with chemical weapons .. destroying monuments they believe to be Idolatry  , kidnappings  , with an aim of idea of a forming its own Caliphate 

Does it not being on the same level mean they can't be compared?

It's the same ideology. Regardless of the scale.

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Not sure if serious. 

I'm not. 

But it wasn't meant to be funny either, I'm not joking about this.

But this shit is **** tiring. 

How hard is it for people to NOT go out of their way to kill each other in the name of a God, a belief or an opinion? 

**** morons, from all spectrums, cultures and backgrounds - are everywhere. 

My 4 year old and soon to be born lads are coming into a wonderful world, these morons keep **** it up. **** off morons.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm not really surprised by events like this any more

I am. Every single time. And in New Zealand, even more so. The ability for terrorost metalists to do horrific terrorism oughtn't, I suppose to be a surprise, but it still always is to me. It's just grim upon grim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

A revenge attack on a church/synagogue/other public gathering ?

Attacks on these targets have been happening.  Not as "revenge" by a group that feels its own place of worship has been attacked, but for example with the Pittsburgh synagogue, the Charleston church, the Charlottesville attack, a very common factor is white supremacists.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

If you look at the white nationalist community of the American South over a long period of time, your list would be pretty accurate, recognising that you would need to substitute "lunchings" for "beheading", that chemical weapons as we know them hadn't yet been devised, and that an equivalent Christian term for "Caliphate" would be required.

There is a direct line of descent from the people who did these things, their ideology, and the white supremacist ideology now in play.

• Like 1

I don't think the internet helps.

We all pigeon hole ourselves into little corners of the internet, get involved with little communities and become accustomed to that way of thinking, it's a really basic human trait - community.

But when people become involved and wrapped up in certain sections of the internet, it's really easy to drop into the rabbit hole. 

From coming on VT for the last 13(!) years, I'm one step away from jumping in front of a horse in the name of Corbyn for christs sake. 

You go on places like 4chan (and I did for about 6 months when in my early 20s and you see and hear some horrible shit and it becomes so "normal". 

I don't see a way back now, but as people become more virtualised and these nasty things become more normalised, I can't see anything getting better, only worse tbh. 

51 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, I think he does. It's the exact same mentality as the jihadis - escalation is precisely what they want, they get a kick out of the whole idea of 'race war' and armageddon. Bloodlust, and not bothered about whose blood it is. 

I believe his 'manifesto' notes that he hopes that the response to his actions will fuel conflict through things like increased demand for gun control.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

my first thought watching the video was wow i cant believe he filmed it, my 2nd was i didnt know you were allowed that kind of weapon in NZ, my main thought while watching it all was probably on the weapon, trying to see what was written on it, trying to see what options he'd added to it, trying to think of any reason / justification for someone owning that kind of gun outside of the military, after that it was why did he only travel between the 2 rooms rather than kicking in the doors or going in to the other areas (hopefully some people managed to hide and survive), then i look at the reaction to see if they label him as a "gunman" rather than a terrorist and who tries to claim him as mental rather than racist 

the violence, the religion of the victims, the horror of it all....i'm not shocked by it anymore, its the shit world we have created

His weapons were covered in references to Nazi/white supremacist causes, and to other white supremacist attacks as well as victims of Islamist atrocities.

His 'manifesto', between the spattering of references to memes, has the same stuff in it.

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't think the internet helps.

We all pigeon hole ourselves into little corners of the internet, get involved with little communities and become accustomed to that way of thinking, it's a really basic human trait - community.

But when people become involved and wrapped up in certain sections of the internet, it's really easy to drop into the rabbit hole. 

From coming on VT for the last 13(!) years, I'm one step away from jumping in front of a horse in the name of Corbyn for christs sake. 

You go on places like 4chan (and I did for about 6 months when in my early 20s and you see and hear some horrible shit and it becomes so "normal". 

I don't see a way back now, but as people become more virtualised and these nasty things become more normalised, I can't see anything getting better, only worse tbh. 

He was a poster on 8chan, which is 4chan for people who thought 4chan was too moderate. Responses on there include people being flattered, praising the actions and taking pride he was from the community and referenced memes and humour the site has in its DNA.

• Sad 1

Another repulsive attack. The perpetrator sounds like a strange mix of infantile memes and mass murder. The streaming of it and letting his little online clique know beforehand, it's so modern and disturbing.

Â