Christchurch terror attack

Chindie

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You just said there’s nothing more despicable than respect built on fear.

Obviously these people have no respect for other people’s religions for them to attack a mosque. But the point of my original post was I don’t think they quite realised the kind of people they are messing with by doing that. 

If they do then they are incredibly stupid as well as disrespectful.  

Firstly, whilst my ego would love to credit my inner philosopher, Albert Camus said that. ;)

Secondly, I don't think I missed the point of your OP at all. Vigilantism exists yes, but is that a thing we should encourage or sit by in 'tacet approval' of? Is that going to fix the problem?

I haven't followed that case so I have no idea who/if any suspects exist but where I grew up and where I live now all the churches have metal cages on their windows because teenagers go out vandalising them - notably by chucking stones through the windows. Are 13/14 yr olds to expect a visit from 'the boys'? And if so, what good would that do? Maybe there is something more sinister at play and for the sake of argument lets go to the other extreme of Yaxley-Lennon and his mates doing this as some sort of statement. Are people with an IQ lower than the average 10yr old to expect a visit from 'the boys'? And if so, what good would that do? The link between them being that fear, intimidation and the threat of violence would be being used and the MLKjr quote was my 2p's worth on that.

You followed that up with the consequence of your actions statement, which I found ironic in the context of your reference to vigilantism.

This reply leaves me wondering, yet kind of fearing the answer to the question - What 'kind of people' are they messing with Vive?

From my perspective, if I were to derive some respect from fear, I may very well have ended up Catholic

worship-me-or-ill-torture-you-forever-ha

Two men arrested over Birmingham mosque hammer attacks

• 5 minutes ago

Two men have been arrested in relation to a series of attacks on mosques in Birmingham.

Five mosques had their windows smashed on Thursday and a 34-year-old man from Perry Barr has handed himself into a police station.

A 38-year-old man from Yardley was arrested earlier after being detained by members of the community.

Both men were being held on suspicion of racially aggravated criminal damage, West Midlands Police said.

The force said its investigation continued to be supported by West Midlands Counter Terrorism Unit.

Three mosques in Aston and two others in Perry Barr and Erdington had their windows smashed between 01:25 GMT and 03:15.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47673881

In fact as I wrote that. Two morons are in police custody it seems.

32 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Firstly, whilst my ego would love to credit my inner philosopher, Albert Camus said that. ;)

Secondly, I don't think I missed the point of your OP at all. Vigilantism exists yes, but is that a thing we should encourage or sit by in 'tacet approval' of? Is that going to fix the problem?

I haven't followed that case so I have no idea who/if any suspects exist but where I grew up and where I live now all the churches have metal cages on their windows because teenagers go out vandalising them - notably by chucking stones through the windows. Are 13/14 yr olds to expect a visit from 'the boys'? And if so, what good would that do? Maybe there is something more sinister at play and for the sake of argument lets go to the other extreme of Yaxley-Lennon and his mates doing this as some sort of statement. Are people with an IQ lower than the average 10yr old to expect a visit from 'the boys'? And if so, what good would that do? The link between them being that fear, intimidation and the threat of violence would be being used and the MLKjr quote was my 2p's worth on that.

You followed that up with the consequence of your actions statement, which I found ironic in the context of your reference to vigilantism.

This reply leaves me wondering, yet kind of fearing the answer to the question - What 'kind of people' are they messing with Vive?

From my perspective, if I were to derive some respect from fear, I may very well have ended up Catholic

worship-me-or-ill-torture-you-forever-ha

I wasn’t condoning it and probably best not to go in to detail of the kind of people they are dealing with as it could get controversial. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://twitter.com/johnpilger/status/1107102384675647489

Those on the ‘left’ in Australia often claim that the Labor Party is much more moderate than the Liberals. Here’s former Labor Prime Minister Kevin Rudd describing people seeking asylum as “illegal immigrants”. And here’s his predecessor, Julia Gillard, blaming Aboriginal people for their own poverty.

Someone who might also return to the parliamentary benches at the upcoming federal election is Jacqui Lambie a former Senator with the Palmer United Party, another of Australia’s fringe-right parties.

Boosted by the media, Lambie reached folk-hero status during her term in office for being known as a ‘plain talker’. Here’s Lambie ‘talking plainly’ on television about the problems with ‘Shari Law’.

If you can’t stomach the clip – or more to the point, you simply can’t understand it – you can read a full transcript here. Or here’s a brief excerpt. Lambie is asked exactly what she thinks Sharia Law is: “‘Shari, Shari law, um, you know, to me it’s, um, it’s, ah, it obviously involves terrorism. It, it, it involves a, um, a power that, um, is not a healthy power.” Those are the exact words of a popularly elected Australian leader.

https://newmatilda.com/2019/03/16/tears-for-christchurch-australia-has-been-importing-hate-since-1788-now-were-in-the-export-business/

Quite a long read, but a good read imo.

Maybe @blandy he puts what I was getting at in another thread the other day re:Australia into better words than I did.

The Liberal-National Coalition in Australia has spent every election campaign for the past 2 decades scaremongering about race and "national security" concerns re immigration and refugees, and they've just called an election for May 18, so it's again going to get ugly.

A few elections ago, the Liberals had campaigned so hard on xenophobic border security that Labor, instead of taking the lead and doing something humane, decided to just match and even strengthen the Coalition border security policy, which puts refugees arriving by boat in indefinite offshore detenion camps. It's f***ed.

I guess Trump, Bolsonaro, Brexit et al shows that it's happening everywhere but it's incredibly grim.

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

https://twitter.com/johnpilger/status/1107102384675647489

https://newmatilda.com/2019/03/16/tears-for-christchurch-australia-has-been-importing-hate-since-1788-now-were-in-the-export-business/

Quite a long read, but a good read imo.

Maybe @blandy he puts what I was getting at in another thread the other day re:Australia into better words than I did.

I still say the same, MARV - the politicians might be a right bunch of words, but my experience is the people are great. Sort of like most places really, but more friendly than many places I've been. Obviously everywhere has its whoppers, but I love the place and the people.

• Like 1

Hasn't 'Australia is an absurdly racist country' been one of those things that 'everybody knows' for literally donkeys years?

I can remember comedians like John Oliver making barbed gags about it years ago.

• 1 year later...
Â