Christchurch terror attack

Chindie

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

His weapons were covered in references to Nazi/white supremacist causes, and to other white supremacist attacks as well as victims of Islamist atrocities.

His 'manifesto', between the spattering of references to memes, has the same stuff in it.

including "for Rotherham"

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

I've been to New Zealand a fair few years ago now, but I found it a rather racist (and sexist) place to be blunt. Not openly. But it's right under the surface.

The Maori had deep rooted issues with the settlers, The white people were often appalling in their treatment/opinions on Asians and Everyone seemed to make a scapegoat of the Bangladeshi's was my opinion on how it appeared when I left.

Not that it isn't also populated by some of the most lovely people I've ever met, but it's not all Sheep Farming and Bungee Jumping.

That's interesting, compared to Aussies I found Kiwis to be much more generous and laid-back, and historically they seemed to get on with Maoris better than the Aussies have the aboriginals.  I had one particularly unpleasant racist taxi driver in Sydney that may have skewed my thinking, and the terrorist here was Australian anyway.  Ultimately it's hard to stop an angry murderous bastard doing this kind of thing, and it's not restricted to any particular nation, culture or religion.

ISIS produced a number of videos filmed via go-pro on top of the gun used to brutally murder their victims. These utter words removed have done the same. Honestly it;s just absolute horrendous, deeply saddening event, really have no meaningful words for it. The individuals who did this deserve to die in the most heinous imaginable way.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

That's interesting, compared to Aussies I found Kiwis to be much more generous and laid-back, and historically they seemed to get on with Maoris better than the Aussies have the aboriginals.  I had one particularly unpleasant racist taxi driver in Sydney that may have skewed my thinking, and the terrorist here was Australian anyway.  Ultimately it's hard to stop an angry murderous bastard doing this kind of thing, and it's not restricted to any particular nation, culture or religion.

There is no point trying to profile whole countries based on people you met on a holiday (For the record I met a racist black cab driver in London once). Australia, New Zealand and the UK are all peaceful multicultural societies.

Every country has racist people, it seems to be a base human reaction, group in things in your mind based on perceived similarities. 

Most people on this planet are happy to treat others on their merits as they find them whilst a small number of people get hung up on this preformed prejudice that they can’t move past in their minds. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, momo said:

Very few posts here. Is it because the victims are Muslims?

Harsh. Most people, me included, probably found out about in on the way to work this morning. I can't access this forum at work as I'm sure a lot of others cant, hence why it probably seemed quiet. 

Horrific event. What a nasty world we live in. :(

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mottaloo said:

This is appalling. Black, brown or white....slaughter is slaughter. A soft target, a place of worship. What next ? A revenge attack on a church/synagogue/other public gathering ? Probably.

Happens already the world over. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

without defending White Nationalist communities , I don't think they are comparable

ISIS have been carrying out ethnic cleansing  , raping , sexual violence and slavery  , beheading  , mass executions  , attacks with chemical weapons .. destroying monuments they believe to be Idolatry  , kidnappings  , with an aim of idea of a forming its own Caliphate 

the right wing nutters haven't regressed to that level ...yet

Sorry didn't realise this was a thread about the British Empire. 

In all seriousness sad to say but I'm not surprised. The likes of Robinson, Hopkins, Trump, Farage, Liddle, Phillips etc have a lot to answer for. 

• Like 2

Our world seems to be in a downward spiral fueled by ignorance, hate and intolerance. The fact people are watching this unfold in real time....... it's just horrific.  I feel deeply saddened by the lack of humanity shown by people I regard as friends . 

12 hours ago, momo said:

Very few posts here. Is it because the victims are Muslims?

It's because people are weary of these mass killings now - they happen virtually every week, and it just washes over me now. 

It would only really resonate to me if it happened in the UK or affected someone linked to me. 

New Zealand is as far removed from me as i can imagine. 

1000's of Muslims are probably dying in Syria all the time and 'bad news fatigue' means people don't pay attention anymore.

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

It's because people are weary of these mass killings now - they happen virtually every week, and it just washes over me now. 

It would only really resonate to me if it happened in the UK or affected someone linked to me. 

New Zealand is as far removed from me as i can imagine. 

1000's of Muslims are probably dying in Syria all the time and 'bad news fatigue' means people don't pay attention anymore.

Honestly the general vibe at work and in town at night in Auckland( over 1000km and large sea apart) was one of shock and disgust but not huge panic or fear of friends or family being killed because Muslims were targeted. I've felt sad and angry but never in fear

Edited by Kiwivillan

8 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I've been to New Zealand a fair few years ago now, but I found it a rather racist (and sexist) place to be blunt. Not openly. But it's right under the surface.

The Maori had deep rooted issues with the settlers, The white people were often appalling in their treatment/opinions on Asians and Everyone seemed to make a scapegoat of the Bangladeshi's was my opinion on how it appeared when I left.

Not that it isn't also populated by some of the most lovely people I've ever met, but it's not all Sheep Farming and Bungee Jumping.

I've lived and worked in NZ and Australia for the last twenty years, and the countries are like chalk and cheese when it comes to racism. NZ has it's problems with race just like anywhere, but it has a relatively benign media, a progressive outlook on just about everything and a mostly rational government. The Maori have a lot of power which they have fought hard for, and while there are still issues, it's generally a very peaceful harmonious society.

Australia on the other hand - while being full of some lovely people - has a government full of racist dog-whistlers and actual dumb-**** nazis, is still only one step away from genocidal treatment of the indigenous people, and has a media predominantly run by Murdoch and his white-supremacist cronies.Sadly it came as no surprise at all to discover the shooter in Christchurch was an Aussie. Even our PM has been pushing his own anti-muslim agenda very publicly for a while now.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, MrDuck said:

... has a media predominantly run by Murdoch and his white-supremacist cronies.Sadly it came as no surprise at all to discover the shooter in Christchurch was an Aussie. Even our PM has been pushing his own anti-muslim agenda very publicly for a while now.

2,891 Murdoch Media Stories Trashing Islam In A Single Year, Study Reveals

By Michael Brull on March 3, 2018

New Matilda

There is some grey area in the criteria, but the volume is 😮 

• Like 1

Â