Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Berghuis is an interesting one. 4th best player in Eredivisie last season according to whoscored, 12 goals, 12 assists. Left footed right winger too. Would prefer Steven Bergwijn though but he's out of our range at the moment

Edited by Biskitt

26 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I did wonder this myself, our signings have a different formation suggestion

Does Smith have a history of that? I thought he was more of a 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 kinda guy, but I’ll happily admit to not being familiar with his approach at Walsall. I don’t remember Brentford playing 3 CB’s

35 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I think we are going to play 3 Cbs under Smith so we won’t have traditional wingers needing to track back.

No way. Smith has always played 4 at the back. 

Edit: I guess that doesn’t mean he couldn’t change his approach though. Maybe he likes the look of Wolves and what they achieved.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

People seem to think we're going to play with five at the back at the beginning of every season. I doubt it will happen this season, Smith has never played that formation, not sure about Guilbert, but Targett performs much better in a flat back four with a winger in front of him, and playing with wing-backs would also mean no place in the side for any of our wingers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

This level of negativity is laughable and unwarranted

Haha - What negativity? That i’d happily settle for 17th?  I actually think we will be a bit better than that but if you think we won’t be looking over our shoulders all season you’re sadly deluded 

Im very pleased with the level of ambition and can’t fault the investment but at the moment we are buying works in progress from the championship, from lesser leagues and players who can’t quite make PL squads. 

I trust Smith to work his magic and turn them into more than the sum of the parts. If you want to call that negative that’s your prerogative but for me it’s just being realistic - for me we will need another couple of seasons steady building before my ambitions will be much more than survival

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

Interestingly Dean Smith's son's friend had Phillips on his list, so maybe we're still in for him, we could certainly do with more than one more midfielder. If I remember rightly the wording was that we'd agreed fees for everyone on the list, or were in advanced talks with them.

If all these rumours and ITK is true.

Those who thought we came here just to tread water, are terribly mistaken.

Exciting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

As much as I love the business we are doing, I was really hoping we'd get Lolley this summer! I still think he would be a great option and someone who could make a difference

Based on the way things are going, we could end up getting ALL the Lolleys... lol

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Is this ITK or a guess? I thought Pitarchs would’ve been involved with all of them and Smith with the ones you say are Pitarchs. All players assessed home and abroad by Smith and Pitarch and then decisions made who to buy

I was actually thinking today, it would appear Dean Smith has more of a say than we initially believed.

Which also makes me think, he deserves more credit than he deserves, he KNOWS what he is trying to do, he has an eye for a player, and finally has the resources to do it.

All which he has earned the hard way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Haha - What negativity? That i’d happily settle for 17th?  I actually think we will be a bit better than that but if you think we won’t be looking over our shoulders all season you’re sadly deluded 

Im very pleased with the level of ambition and can’t fault the investment but at the moment we are buying works in progress from the championship, from lesser leagues and players who can’t quite make PL squads. 

I trust Smith to work his magic and turn them into more than the sum of the parts. If you want to call that negative that’s your prerogative but for me it’s just being realistic - for me we will need another couple of seasons steady building before my ambitions will be much more than survival

It's reaasonable to be cautious, but the evidence so far is that there is a level of strategic planning and coherent oversight that I've not seen here before.

That is enormously encouraging.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterms said:

It's reaasonable to be cautious, but the evidence so far is that there is a level of strategic planning and coherent oversight that I've not seen here before.

That is enormously encouraging.

Completely Agree

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think that chap is ITK. He's plucked a player and got lucky. Maybe Naive.

If he is, Dean Smith will be getting a wrist slap for telling his son club transfer plans. In turn, I'm sure Smith's son will be in a lot of trouble from daddio.

Or he is not really Dean Smiths son and he just blagged that to get people off his back?

there is no way you just pluck Luiz out of thin air and it blows up everywhere the next day.

I think THAT is naive to believe imo.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Right winger Steven Berghuis being mentioned [@theguardian]? Out statted Martin Odegaard last season who a few got excited about earlier this window? 

Berghuis? Hope we don't get fleeced on the deal...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I wonder if we use Hogan in any potential bid for Maupay? 

It would be bad decision to sell high quality international player like Bjarnason, Villa will need that kind of quality in PL. Championship is a bulldog division and player like Kodja, Bjarnason and many other dissapear in that kind of football which is totally different from Premier League. There are also lots of players who have been very good in Championship and have dissapear in PL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Ok remind me to check back in May