Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

4 hours ago, thunderball said:

That didn't include selling the stadium which we have done for £50m+, it was also based on very conservative constants, i.e. no player sales, finishing 20th, modest commercial retail sales, not selling 30,000 season tickets, no new negotiated club sponsor etc. I am sure the actual figure is now actually comfortably north of £150m

Even better then 😃

So Did anyone actually  think there was any chance of us potentially spending somewhere around two hundred million pounds this season? If yesterdays Twitter guy is anywhere near right along with some of the other rumours we could well be around the 150 mark by the start of the season, if not more. A couple more in Jan and we would have had one of the highest spending seasons ever, anywhere

Edited by LakotaDakota

Interestingly Dean Smith's son's friend had Phillips on his list, so maybe we're still in for him, we could certainly do with more than one more midfielder. If I remember rightly the wording was that we'd agreed fees for everyone on the list, or were in advanced talks with them.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

Interestingly Dean Smith's son's friend had Phillips on his list, so maybe we're still in for him, we could certainly do with more than one more midfielder. If I remember rightly the wording was that we'd agreed fees for everyone on the list, or were in advanced talks with them.

both mate

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

On the plus side he'll probably cost about 1/3 of what he would have 12 months ago

Fulham are a Championship club, so does that mean he's worth 20 Million now???

• Like 1

5 hours ago, omariqy said:

Got told a few weeks ago that we were also negotiating for a keeper from a European club as another option. Won't share a name as I read other clubs are in for him and we know journalists love to get their stories from VT. Hes a good player tho and I think he is 26 or 27 and I would be confident we wouldn't see many howlers from him if he signed. 

Alphonse Areola, Timo Horn ..?! 🤔.. cheeky DM 🤷🏻‍♂️😉

Edited by thabucks

31 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I think there is a danger of getting carried away. I’m very pleased with the signings but as we stand I don’t see us as markedly better than last season. 

Mings, Konsa, Jota and Wesley on paper are no better than Mings, Tuanzebe, Adomah and  Abraham for me. There is potential for improvement at fullbacks and if Luiz joins and lives up to expectation we will be decent in midfield (but not in my opinion “immense”)

To give me real confidence I’d like to be greedy and see Trezuguat/Beharama(?), Maupay and a new keeper and even then my expectation would be only extend to top of the bottom half of the table

I disagree: Mings>>Mings - He is now a fully fledged Villa players and has won a play off! Konsa starts for the England U-21s ahead of Tuanzebe so someone rates him more highly?  He is, at least, potentially on a par.  Jota >> Adomah - from what I have seen of Jota (not that much) and what I saw of Albert last year.  We will see with Wesley but I, and I am probably in the minority here, I did not want Abrahams back in the PL.  The three play off games show he can be bullied against strong CBs.  I don't think Wes will suffer from this but we clearly need to see the rest of his game.  Targett >>>> Taylor - No need to comment really.  Guilbert is an unknown but he has some very good reviews.  Luiz >>>> than anything we had in a holding role from what I have read (admittedly not seen) and, potentially, a huge step up in class.

I am greedy like you and would love Heaton, or similar, Benrahma and Maupay.  Trezeguet as well would be great.  I would also like Bayliss, or something similar, to cover Jack/McGinn in rotation with Lansbury.  In my ideal world, I would also like Gibbs to replace Taylor - we could probably get a £1.5m fee for the latter to a Championship side and Gibbs, I believe, is available for £3m.  Significant upgrade, loads of PL experience and can play the way DS wants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I’d have been happy replacing DMC and LB and having the same side at the end of last season for the next. For me, we’re stronger. For whatever reason, you keep excluding Targett over Taylor when you’re listing the new players too.

Perhaps read again because in both of my posts I’ve clearly stated that we have potential to be better at Fullback ie Guibert & Targett look like they could be better than Elmo and Taylor. At the moment for me that is the only area (First XI) where we should be stronger

4 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Perhaps read again because in both of my posts I’ve clearly stated that we have potential to be better at Fullback ie Guibert & Targett look like they could be better than Elmo and Taylor. At the moment for me that is the only area (First XI) where we should be stronger

Jota is a vast improvement on Green and Adomah  for the way DS wants to play.

i dont think you can compare Wesley and Abraham currently, could go wither way.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1