Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Well it's all opinion, isn't it? :)

Personally, I would be pretty surprised to see us drop that much on one player - I obviously wouldn't mind but I think we're more likely to go for players that we can bring up to that level rather than ones who are already there. 

Well, in the case of Gomez he's 22. I just find it surprising people seem more than willing to pay £25m for potential rather than £35m for a player already doing it in one of the top 5 leagues, with the same room for growth. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Has anyone actually ran the numbers on that? Because that itself is just the TV deal. In fact, does anyone here actually know the rules for promoted clubs? My understanding is the clock is reset. Until we have a 3 year average to work from there's little they can/will do. 

I wouldn't be shocked if we spent £35m on a particular player, picking up what we perceive to be bargains elsewhere. 

I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't dismiss a link off hand because the price is 'high'. 

I think I read it's around £80m 'base' payment if we finish 20th. With it increasing a couple of million every place above 20th we finish. Then you'd add an extra £1m-£20m based on the amount of TV appearances we make. So somewhere between, £80m-£120m is TV income only. Then we need to add in the new 'front of shirt' sponsor, plus the potential of a sleeve sponsor. So we're now probably talking £90m-£135m.

Plus, I believe you're right. I don't think our losses in the EFL count towards losses in the PL. But, of course, we need to consider that we could fall straight back into the Championship next season.

With all the outgoing players, I'd hazard a guess that our wage 'losses' will be down to at least 2/3 of what it was last season.

All guesswork on my part, of course.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I am pretty sure I have a Sports Argus somewhere in the distant corner of my loft from when we won the League and there is an advert in there for an Aston Villa themed Austin Maxi you could order from a dealer.

They should make a commemorative Tony Xia Mini Metro that's all shiny on the outside but the wheels fall off after 12 months

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We do, but the same could be said next summer if we survive this season. And the next. At some point, we have to take the punt. We're Aston Villa. I don't mean that in an arrogant way, but it's fair to assume we can attract players (and CEO's) the likes of Bournemouth can't... So why not now? We're upgrading, so let's do it properly first time rather than equally risk being loaded with players who can't cut it thus hampering is in the future. 

Jimenez is costing Wolves £30m. That's the level of striker we need. 

I'm not disagreeing with you. I've been harping on about spending £35m on a player for the past 3 pages :D I was just playing Devil's Advocate, or perhaps adding a little realism into a dreamland post about our potential income.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Well it's all opinion, isn't it? :)

Personally, I would be pretty surprised to see us drop that much on one player - I obviously wouldn't mind but I think we're more likely to go for players that we can bring up to that level rather than ones who are already there. 

I agree we should be trying to get these types of players before their value increases so much. However, we are short of players and need some quality to help us stay up, so we will likely have to spend a little more than we would like to get in some players that are nearer the finished article, for this season at least.

In the case of Maxi Garcia he is only 22, there's actually a good chance his value will increase further, so it's not like it would be throwing £30m-£40m at a 29 year old, there's scope for us to have a great player for 2-3 years and make a huge profit at the end. Think of it like developing a player but on a much larger scale financially.

Obviously it's a risky deal though, it's not the type of signing you can't afford to get wrong...

I wouldn't be surprised if we made one signing of a real quality player for a decent fee, but the rest be more reasonably priced with a view to the future.

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. I've been harping on about spending £35m on a player for the past 3 pages :D I was just playing Devil's Advocate, or perhaps adding a little realism into a dreamland post about our potential income.

In which case I'm backing you up... 😁

Most people seemingly want to employ a Fulham type strategy, despite protesting otherwise. Sign a couple of Joe Bryan types, sprinkle a few £15-20m players in and call it a strategy. If done right I'm sure it can work, but if we're going to spend I'd rather see us go to more extreme ends of the spectrum. Get a couple of proper top class players in to complement our core and take those gambles elsewhere. 

So for example we have Hourihane and Jota slated to start. If the team around them were of a higher standard it wouldn't be the worst thing if they were our weakest links. So spend big on a striker and another centre half to complement Mings, then look to your French £5-10m additions or even the Championship to compete with Conor and Jota. 

Build the spine first, in other words. And make it a dead cert. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

At this time yesterday roughly 99% of this board didn't know about him.

Nobody knew about him because La Liga now comes on some crap internet site rather than sky sports. 

I’m sure all top scouts and clubs were aware of him. 

£35m isn't even a lot of money , a team like Wolves paid a similar fee for Jimenez. Our owners want to get into the Champions league, not be another team that's just happy to survive or finish mid table, I'm sure they'll spend what it takes, although obviously because pretty much our whole squad needs rebuilding this summer, we have to spread the money out a bit more to begin with, but one or two big money deals wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 3

Villa hit a lot of crosses. We need a physical striker who is good with his head. If he can hold the ball up and dominate CB's and is the right age (say about 22) that would be ideal even if he costs a fortune. I can't think of anyone like that off the top of my head.😀

Let's hope Suso knows someone.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we spent 40m on a top striker I’d be very excited. I just don’t think we’re anywhere near that place yet. Loved to be proven wrong though. 

Just because that amount of money is being spent, it doesn’t necessarily mean instant success. It also doesn’t mean that a £40m player would come here

I think we’re fortunate in that our football club is now able to compete with most for the signing of good players. The decks have now been largely cleared of players that could have been a weight around our ankles. 3yrs of Championship football has helped us find our soul again, and we have owners that any club would want. We have a Villa man in charge of the team. I think the owners are people who won’t burn money, like we’ve seen at ManCity or Chelsea, but do have the ability to pounce on an opportunity should it present itself. They might not be saying it but I think they’ve ambitions to challenge clubs such as Wolves & Everton straight away. Wolves have proven it’s possible. And so if the chance comes along to sign someone, such as a Maxi Gomez, then I’m thinking they’ll go for it. I’m pretty sure that mere survival is not on the agenda. Sit back and enjoy the ride!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Villa hit a lot of crosses. We need a physical striker who is good with his head. If he can hold the ball up and dominate CB's and is the right age (say about 22) that would be ideal even if he costs a fortune. I can't think of anyone like that off the top of my head.😀

Let's hope Suso knows someone.

Mitrovic? 

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we spent 40m on a top striker I’d be very excited. I just don’t think we’re anywhere near that place yet. Loved to be proven wrong though. 

Why not? Did anyone think Wolves were in a place to sign players such as Moutinho or Jiminez last summer? Aston Villa are a bigger club and bigger draw than Wolves. And many other current Premier League clubs. 

• Like 4