Racism Part two

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But as i said earlier policing has got much better than where it was in terms of racism 

I think this is the first thing you've posted all day that I agree with. There have been great strides in all aspects of society when it comes to reducing almost all forms of discrimination. It's not a won fight though, and just because things used to be worse doesn't mean we shouldn't still strive to be better. 

Where there are problems, "well, it used to be worse" might be true, but it isn't a reason to stand still.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I think this is the first thing you've posted all day that I agree with. There have been great strides in all aspects of society when it comes to reducing almost all forms of discrimination. It's not a won fight though, and just because things used to be worse doesn't mean we souldn't still strive to be better. 

What we agree on something ? 😁

And yes i agree its not won but certainly shouldnt be forgotten how far we have come

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

One of the problems with movements like BLM is with no actual leadership structure, absolutely any old idiot can do something in their name.

Which probably means that this current wave of "action" may do the black community more harm than good I the long run. I can see on social media already backlash at "them" suggesting they can pull down "our" statues and steal "our" history.

Edited by Genie

20 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don't see that programme being offensive to black people, in fact it was their favourite show at the time because it took the piss out of an ignorant white man. So that could still be shown today. 

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Breonna Taylor was sleeping.

I don't like this because its ONE example of a stop and search going wrong (very wrong) - how can that be used as an example when it's such a rare occurrence?  Dem's story (whilst anecdotal) is probably way more of a commonality than Breonna Taylor,  we both know this. 

Breonna Taylor was sleeping when cops battered her door down, to which her boyfriend responded with gun fire (thinking they were getting burgled), as a result she was shot 8 times and died. 

In the UK alone between mar/april 18/19 there were 375,588 stop and searches. 

I don't have data on USA stop and searches, but I imagine they dwarf the UK stats, but lets look anyway (these all found here https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/crime-justice-and-the-law/policing/stop-and-search/latest)

And Stop and Searches have fallen massively since 2009, so work is obviously being done, but perhaps unsurprisingly, knife crime has risen in those years. (bbc);

image.png.8caf54ea53b0016332dab750e1b4312e.png

- There were 7 stop and searches for every 1,000 people, down from 25 per 1,000 people between April 2009 and March 2010

- stop and search rates have fallen for every ethnic group, but at different rates

- between April 2018 and March 2019, there were 4 stop and searches for every 1,000 White people, compared with 38 for every 1,000 Black people

- almost half of all stop and searches took place in the Metropolitan Police force area in London

- there were 22 stop and searches for every 1,000 people in London, the highest rate out of all police force areas

- London had the highest stop and search rates for all ethnic groups apart from Black (Dorset) and White (Merseyside)

So the problem is that yea, more ethnic minorities are subjected to these searches - WHY? 

Well according to the stats, there is a knife crime issue in London and other metro areas, but particularly London.  

Of the knife crime in London in 2017, two thirds of under 25s were non-white (In London, 38% overall). 

So there does seem to be an issue, looking at the numbers of BAME people being involved in knife crime (in London). 

If you are a police officer, you're doing your rounds, you know the communities your beat covers, are you going to go out of your way NOT to stop and search a black person, because they are BAME?  Or are you mean to falsify the data by doing just as many stop and searches on white people?  

Using one instance of something going wrong when proportionally Breonna Taylor is 0.0000001% of all cases is a poor argument - she was more likely to die swallowing her own tongue in her sleep than getting shot 8 times, it's tragic and shouldn't have happened, but you can use it as an argument because the frequency of it happening is so minute, it's worthless. 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sorry stevo but  why? I dont agree with this at all. I have as much right as anyone else regardless of skin colour

Because you are not part of the demographic that is negatively affected by racism in the police. 

I also have very positive experiences with the police. Nothing but good things to say. But I’m a reasonably well off white male. 

You have every right to say that your experiences are positive. But you can’t use those experiences as evidence that there’s no racism in the police when you’re a white bloke. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because you are not part of the demographic that is negatively affected by racism in the police. 

I also have very positive experiences with the police. Nothing but good things to say. But I’m a reasonably well off white male. 

You have every right to say that your experiences are positive. But you can’t use those experiences as evidence that there’s no racism in the police when you’re a white bloke. 

Havent said that though stevo. Im highlighting my own experience. Ive merely said that the problem is not as bad as it once was. 

But i dont see what you expect white police officers to do if they have to uparm a black criminal? Last thjng you want is police becoming cowards and scared to use force to restrain someone then that person goes on to kill someone. 

Its very very difficult 

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Has Dem said there is no racism in the Police? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Havent said that though stevo. Im highlighting my own experience. Ive merely said that the problem is not as bad as it once was. 

But i dont see what you expect white police officers to do if they have to uparm a black criminal? Last thjng you want is police becoming cowards and scared to use force to restrain someone then that person goes on to kill someone. 

Its very very difficult 

You literally said being stopped and searched never came across as racist to you. 

The point was of course it didn’t if you’re white

6 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Has Dem said there is no racism in the Police? 

I worded that part badly. My bad. See below

Just now, Stevo985 said:

You literally said being stopped and searched never came across as racist to you. 

The point was of course it didn’t if you’re white

• Like 2

How did the people complaining about Lethal Weapon 6 ever get past the first episode of IASIP. ?  

Literally dropping N bombs straight out of the gate and they have been given the nod for season 15 !

I'm Watching "It's Always Sunny" For The First Time: The Gang Gets ...

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

Not racism, but directly linked to the topic of corporations self censoring.

I thought it was a parody at first. The irony of people like this always using 'snowflakes' 😂

The snowflake irony is amazing. It’s always the people who throw Snowflake around who get most offended

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, but you could say the same thing about Til Death Us Do Part. 

That was also satire in that you were laughing at Alf Garnett and how racist he was rather than it being malicious. 

But I don’t think anyone would watch that now and not understand why it’s no longer appropriate.

Times change. It’s not a bad thing for stuff to be constantly reviewed and edited due to changing environments. 

As has already been said, that episode of Fawlty Towers has been edited for years when it’s been shown on TV so this isn’t new. 

I know like me you're a big fan of The Office, I struggle to see how that can survive the same sort of scrutiny, the word Paki is used, oriental people referred to as yellow, black cock jokes, imitation of the black character having a spliff, dwarves shouldnt have forklift drivers jobs etc.  I don't hate any minority but I think I am actually a racist now as I found and continue to find racial stereotyping funny a lot of the time.  

13 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Not racism, but directly linked to the topic of corporations self censoring.

I thought it was a parody at first. The irony of people like this always using 'snowflakes' 😂

Does he . . . does he think that three adverts and the front cover of a magazine that - let's face it - was mainly intended for the polishing of the rocket represent the best that British culture has to offer or something?

How will I ever get over losing [checks to make sure] a Pot Noodle advert?

EDIT: I can't believe I actually bothered to check, but Unilever were banned from advertising Pot Noodle as 'the slag of all snacks' in 2002 (https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/pot-noodle-banned-calling-itself-slag-snacks/155509?src_site=brandrepublic). Eighteen years this poor lad has been nursing this wound.

Edited by HanoiVillan

Long ago we had a mini debate about sexism.

I said I knew someone that, as a kid, had been upset that Yorkies weren’t for girls and that it was mean that she wasn’t allowed some chocolate that boys could eat.

At the time, the general consensus on this male dominated ‘board, was that that was silly, and her problem.

We are all of us, edging towards greater understanding of others and this is a good thing.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I know like me you're a big fan of The Office, I struggle to see how that can survive the same sort of scrutiny, the word Paki is used, oriental people referred to as yellow, black cock jokes, imitation of the black character having a spliff, dwarves shouldnt have forklift drivers jobs etc.  I don't hate any minority but I think I am actually a racist now as I found and continue to find racial stereotyping funny a lot of the time.  

It probably won’t survive long term. 

Again it fits into that bracket if you’re laughing at him for saying racist things rather than it being actually racist. But long term it will probably eventually be deemed inappropriate 

Â