Racism Part two

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive been stopped and searched on a few ocacsions i really dont see what the big issue with this is. If you abide the law they will let you go. Its been by white officers mainky but on one occasion it was a black copper.  Didnt even cross my mind it was racist.

Police have a tough enough job. I have no problem with that aspect.  

But you're white aren't you, Dem?

So why would you think it was racist when you're not in the demographic of people who would be affected by racism with stop and search?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nobody is punishin Cleese or Lucas or Walliams. Nobody is saying oh my god they were **** racist weren't they?!

I agree wholeheartedly with most of your post, times change and I can see why companies don't want to broadcast content that could reflect poorly on them, but I've actually seen loads of people saying this! A vocal minority, though, certainly.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I agree wholeheartedly with most of your post, times change and I can see why companies don't want to broadcast content that could reflect poorly on them, but I've actually seen loads of people saying this! 

Fair enough. I haven't. I'd disagree with people who say that. I don't think those people should be punished for those scenes. Some of them are a bit close to the line but they were acceptable at the time. 

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But you're white aren't you, Dem?

So why would you think it was racist when you're not in the demographic of people who would be affected by racism with stop and search?

I think i am 😁

But the point of stop and search is to take off potnetial weapons people are carrying. I dont think its sole purpose is racism.

I don't know how we are expecting police to do their job if we are providing them with absolute no power to do anything to try confiscate weapons. 

If a police officer gets a call and says a armed black or white guy has threatened somone in a area how are police suppose to identify the person if they see someone behaving erractic? If your unarmed you ahve nothing to worry about.

Ita a very tough job. Anyone either worked as a policeman or woman recently? 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive been stopped and searched on a few ocacsions i really dont see what the big issue with this is. If you abide the law they will let you go. 

I’m white and I know this not to be wholly the case.

As a younger person living in a rough part of town I was regularly stopped by the police and it was not always a straight forward experience.

To the point, I knew that if and when my kids got in to trouble, I would definitely not automatically presume they must have done something.

If that was the experience of a white person, I can sort of imagine it could be amplified if I was of a different ethnic background.

Not always, not 100%, but we really can’t presume that law abiding citizens have no problems. They demonstrably do.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m white and I know this not to be wholly the case.

As a younger person living in a rough part of town I was regularly stopped by the police and it was not always a straight forward experience.

To the point, I knew that if and when my kids got in to trouble, I would definitely not automatically presume they must have done something.

If that was the experience of a white person, I can sort of imagine it could be amplified if I was of a different ethnic background.

Not always, not 100%, but we really can’t presume that law abiding citizens have no problems. They demonstrably do.

Dont get me wrong im not saying it doesnt happen but i think the cases are kn a much smaller scale then what they use to be. 

Your experience is different to mine i can beleive that.  I certainly lived in rough parts of london growing up and i am currently living in a rough part of london now. But as i started earlier i dont see how we can expect police to do their job effectively with taking retsrictions off them and having less power. 

I have to say, my most recent experience with the police was quite different.

They didn’t actually do a particularly good job and I got a bit caught up in some internal politics on whether or not they were going to come and take forensics from my garage after a half arsed aborted break in.

But the guys that (eventually) turned up were really nice and it turned out had been to the same Super Furries gig as me. I had a poster up on the wall and we had a good long chat about the gig and a few others we’d all been at.

So my experience as a middle aged white bloke living in a nicer part of town in (roughly) 2015 was far better than 25 years earlier, living in a rougher part of town.

I do think the police have an incredibly difficult job, I think overall the relationship between ‘the people’ and the police is a good one. There’s definitely room for improvement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterw said:

Everyone gets labelled for ease of reference as much as anything. my point being that they aren't 'Indian' as they aren't from India. 

Fair enough.  Guess its up to them what they identify themselves as.   Whether they are from India or not is not quite the point I was trying to make and I think we both know that.  My point was they both had racial barriers to face.  Priti has spoken about the racism she faced in school.  It would not have been as easy for them to get where they are as it would have been for a  'White' person.  

Whatever your opinions are on both of them.  They should be an inspiration to a lot BAME people in this country in my opinion.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

The most recent thing I've watched with excess use of the N word was The Wire, that will need to be edited down to a 90 minute movie I think.

I've not watched the show so have no idea on the context of its use  , but presumably it won't actually need any editing ?

As per my little Britain answer yesterday  and even if it was actually removed a few years ago   , Fawlty Towers the word was clearly put in it to show Major Fawcett was racist , they were exposing an English upper class bigot  ... It's removal , removes the chance to laugh at the absurdity of such a person and those views .... was anyone actually ever offended by that sketch ?  its removal probably caused more offence and that sorta highlights the point that good intentions can have the adverse effect  .. 

If its used with malice then , yep remove it , no question .. but let's maybe not remove stuff just for the sake of removing stuff  

Well I doubt Priti patel is an inspiration to BAME given how she is tightening the restrictions on those from overseas coming to the UK  meaning that her parents wouldn't have even met her new benchmarks.But that's quite a different conversation for another lockdown day.

• Like 1

Just now, peterw said:

Well I doubt Priti patel is an inspiration to BAME given how she is tightening the restrictions on those from overseas coming to the UK  meaning that her parents wouldn't have even met her new benchmarks.But that's quite a different conversation for another lockdown day.

Yep, inspiration at face value.  What she is doing now she is in that position is a different story. 

23 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

The most recent thing I've watched with excess use of the N word was The Wire, that will need to be edited down to a 90 minute movie I think.

'What about black people, they say the n word.'

I don't know. Maybe you're joking! For the record, I'd remove the racist statues, but it goes without saying that I'd leave the shows because these two things are completely different. Because one puts racists up on pedestals and whitewashes their history to the same degree as a North-Korean personality cult. The other is TV. It's an actual relic of our history and something that can and should be preserved. Nobody wants to pretend that racism doesn't and didn't exist—they just don't think that in any modern country mass murderers should have statues and buildings and schools and whatever else named after them.

We can put statues up and name schools after people who actually did good things (no, philanthropy paid for by a tiny fraction of a man's wealth, a man who made his money on the premise that black lives really don't matter doesn't count). Dublin does it well—Joyce, Beckett, Lynott, Lady Gregory, Molly Malone (so not actually real), Kavanagh, Famine Memorial, End of Civil War memorial, Lady Markievicz, and plenty of other figures I am no expert on but it would be good to learn about.

Edited by Rolta

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Fawlty Towers the word was clearly put in it to show Major Fawcett was racist , they were exposing an English upper class bigot  ... It's removal , removes the chance to laugh at the absurdity of such a person and those views .... was anyone actually ever offended by that sketch ?  its removal probably caused more offence and that sorta highlights the point that good intentions can have the adverse effect  .. 

If its used with malice then , yep remove it , no question .. but let's maybe not remove stuff just for the sake of removing stuff  

You can show bigotry without using that word though. It isn't the only way to show bigotry and laugh at people like him.

19 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

well it depends on the context in how is using it and for what purpose. it is a word widely used by black folk in US when either talking to each other or about someone. We can't just throw around arguments along the line of, 'well you can't say that if we can't say this then' as it clouds what is a very serious point. For far too long BAME people have clearly suffered racism and disproportionate segregation of their rights. Yes it happens to white people but we are not overly in fear of our life and/or liberties because of it. Yes we share poverty, violence, maltreatement, police prejudice but on many levels, very rarely because of the colour of our skin. take that away and we can start to look at how we tackle poverty with a fair and open mind.

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I've not watched the show so have no idea on the context of its use  , but presumably it won't actually need any editing ?

As per my little Britain answer yesterday  and even if it was actually removed a few years ago   , Fawlty Towers the word was clearly put in it to show Major Fawcett was racist , they were exposing an English upper class bigot  ... It's removal , removes the chance to laugh at the absurdity of such a person and those views .... was anyone actually ever offended by that sketch ?  its removal probably caused more offence and that sorta highlights the point that good intentions can have the adverse effect  .. 

I'd be interested to know what is driving the decisions for these shows to be removed.   Is it knee jerk reactions to the whole BLM movement or have their been genuine calls for certain shows to be removed?

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I'd be interested to know what is driving the decisions for these shows to be removed.   Is it knee jerk reactions to the whole BLM movement or have their been genuine calls for certain shows to be removed?

Likely nervous execs, nothing to do with BLM or anyone in their movements, not wanting reduced sales or bad publicity tbh.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep, inspiration at face value.  What she is doing now she is in that position is a different story. 

Still not convinced. Because of her opinions to date many people with an Asian background aren't jumping up and down because she's the Home secretary but dislike her because of her policies. She isn't the first person of colour in a cabinet, she isn't the first person with a South Asian heritage in the cabinet, nor the first woman of South-Asian heritage in the cabinet. I get your point but I think your over evaluating her heritage to find your point. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive been stopped and searched on a few ocacsions i really dont see what the big issue with this is. If you abide the law they will let you go.

I expect that will be a big comfort to Dalian Atkinson.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Likely nervous execs, nothing to do with BLM or anyone in their movements, not wanting reduced sales or bad publicity tbh.

Yeah I thought as much.  Its getting a lot of publicity though. Maybe broadcasters should have been a bit discreet about it.

Â