Racism Part two

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Are all the foreign comedians who joke about the English/British going to be sacked for fear of causing offence?

Is this the end of Live at the Apollo?

No

• Like 1

Lived in a shared flat at the top of Brixton Hill in my early twenties, 4 white guys and a girl.

We were all in one evening, watching the local news. Community leaders in Brixton were complaining that the black populace were being unfairly discriminated against when it came to being stopped and searched. They interviewed some lad on the street. He'd been stopped by the police four times, it was disgusting etc etc. My flatmates and I were underwhelmed, we'd all individually been stopped way more than that. I've been stopped in vehicles, on foot, on suspicion of carrying drugs and best of all, with special terrorism powers (that was a clear abuse of power by plod). On one occasion I was stripped down to my boxers outside Hamleys on Regent St at 4pm on a Saturday, scores of mums and kids around. As a result I'd always taken accusations of police racism, when it came to stop and search, with a pinch of salt.

Moving on twenty years. Walking through backstreets to a restaurant with friends of hers, a couple, white. He pulls out a joint, lights up. It's absolutely minging weed, the chronic in US parlance. We come to a popular cut through, a black guy is walking a few meters in front of us as we traverse an estate. I'm chatting to my dinner companion about weed. He said he'd never been stopped smoking buds on the street. I explained to him that I'd never smoked stinky stuff out, as it's just a wind up for passing police and I'd been stopped so many times as a younger man. 

The black guy in front of us had obviously heard much of the conversation. He turned to us and said ruefully, if you're black? It doesn't matter how old you are, the police just keep stopping and searching you.

• Like 1

I'm really not getting the constant whataboutery on statues, comedies etc, the idea that it has to be all or nothing.

As far as i'm aware the tv shows that have been taken down haven't been done so because a few people on twitter have 'taken offence' at some jokes, it's for way more serious stuff like blackface and words like N****r and W*g.

Now there are absolutely morons out there who have nothing better to do than find offence in everything and demand complete removal/censorship for the smallest thing (see the Robert Peel statue debate for example). But most people i think are fine with taking a nuanced view on a case by case basis, which is how it should be imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't like this because its ONE example of a stop and search going wrong (very wrong) - how can that be used as an example when it's such a rare occurrence?  Dem's story (whilst anecdotal) is probably way more of a commonality than Breonna Taylor,  we both know this

While someone innocent dying during a stop and search is comparatively rare (so are "regular" police killings, for lack of a better word), I think the contention is they are likelier to happen to black people for no good reason other than who they are, and not that they are a regular occurrence by any means.

Beyond that though, what I imagine is more common than Dem's story is unnecessary arrests and force used by police during these searches. For example, look at the statistics for stop and frisk in NYC, they make for very grim reading. Keep in mind, around 88% of people stopped and frisked were innocent.

CCRStpFrskImg-copy.png

I think the most glaring issue here is the stop chart (keeping in mind that blacks/latinos/whites make up 23/29/33% of the NYC population respectively), but perhaps more understated (and more alarming in my opinion) are the arrests made/summons given vs times force used.

HR2D56FIX43TPBXZEBJ5P7MKGE.png

The disparity here is outrageous.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Genie said:

Are all the foreign comedians who joke about the English/British going to be sacked for fear of causing offence?

Is this the end of Live at the Apollo?

Had a bit of a twitter spat a while back with Omid Djalili.

He was taking the piss out of Welsh place names and pronunciation. Something about Welsh being like a dyslexic with a stutter. So in fairness, offensive to a broad variety of groups. A few people asked him what he’d think if people took the piss out of his funny sounding name and he absolutely couldn’t see how he was being offensive. As far as he was concerned, making up variations of Omid Djalili could be racist, him making up nonsense Welsh sounds was just a laugh and people should toughen up.

Nobody has the exclusive rights on being an ignorant cock. 

But it doesn’t really level the score in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Yeah, I don't live in the UK so I mean the bloke being a primadonna woman until he eats a Snickers ad.

They've just released a new one where it's Elton John at first and becomes a rapper when he's eaten his Snickers.

I shit you not.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Why long term and not now?  It's pretty cut and dried.  If you're going through some comedies then surely you have to do them all.

So when we banning all racist gangster films with the N word?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You literally said being stopped and searched never came across as racist to you. 

The point was of course it didn’t if you’re white

Yeah when i was stopped by a black officer for stop and search. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

He was taking the piss out of Welsh place names and pronunciation. Something about Welsh being like a dyslexic with a stutter. So in fairness, offensive to a broad variety of groups. A few people asked him what he’d think if people took the piss out of his funny sounding name and he absolutely couldn’t see how he was being offensive. As far as he was concerned, making up variations of Omid Djalili could be racist, him making up nonsense Welsh sounds was just a laugh and people should toughen up.

It's kind of intriguing, if that;'s the right word.

If it's wrong to take the mick out of Iranian names, because offence, and it's wrong to take the mick out of welsh people's language because it might offend welsh folk...  and if it's wrong to take the mick out of..this religion...or that background.... then eventually no one can take the mick out of anyone without fear of offence. I mean, they say "punch down, not up" but money doesn't prevent rich people with mental struggles from being hurt by people taking the mick from feeling low self esteem or vicitimised because they're posh...

So no humour any more. I mean I don't like Fawlty Towers or Little Britain and never have, nor Ricky Gervais' sitcom things...but if everything is deemed offensive to someone or other then we've maybe gone a bit too far? Surely where intent isn't to be harmful or hurtful, where intent isn't to "put down and offend" there's got to be room for people accepting of particular traits of a language, or of a set of habits, or of everyday stuff being gently laughed at by those who find it funny? "The English and them saying sorry, through their terrible dentistry, when you bump into them in a queue, and boy do they love a queue..."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

And I bet none of them are funnier than Bangor anyway.

I am an honorary Taff so I can say that. (Rwy'n gweithio yno lawer)

Bang'er lol.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You literally said being stopped and searched never came across as racist to you. 

The point was of course it didn’t if you’re white

Wasn't there at least one phase in al lthis stop and search wher in order not to make the stats appear to victimise Back people, the Police started randomly stopping and searching white folk so the figures looked less bad? So then we ended up with the ludicrous situation that basically most everyone was being targetted based on their colour?

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We trying to say that it cant happen the other way around? Of course it can.

I’m not saying that racism can’t happen the other way round. 

Im saying that the problem with stop and search is that it disproportionately targets black people. 

As a white male, your assumption that your particular stop and search by a black officer wasn’t racially motivated means basically nothing because you don’t fit into the demographic that is racially discriminated against.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’m not saying that racism can’t happen the other way round. 

Im saying that the problem with stop and search is that it disproportionately targets black people. 

As a white male, your assumption that your particular stop and search by a black officer wasn’t racially motivated means basically nothing because you don’t fit into the demographic that is racially discriminated against.

Im not sure i agree with that so we are back as we were not agreeing 😁

Â