Racism Part two

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I expect that will be a big comfort to Dalian Atkinson.

And its also worth noting that there needs to be probable cause to stop someone, i.e. you just can't just stop someone and search them or as for ID. for those that have been stopped the point is that the majority are black and therefore they are disproportionately discriminated against. racial profiling does not work on our streets and leads to tensions that should not be there. 

To note: that was in reference to Delmitri's post - just an epic quote fail.

Edited by peterw

2 minutes ago, peterw said:

Still not convinced. Because of her opinions to date many people with an Asian background aren't jumping up and down because she's the Home secretary but dislike her because of her policies. She isn't the first person of colour in a cabinet, she isn't the first person with a South Asian heritage in the cabinet, nor the first woman of South-Asian heritage in the cabinet. I get your point but I think your over evaluating her heritage to find your point. 

Maybe I am.  I'm personally inspired by her and every South Asian in high profile positions.  I like the fact my daughter can watch the news and see that brown faces running the country is a normal thing.  They may be words removed but its a big change from when I was a kid.  There wasn't that much inspiration out there.  We took what we could.

This isn't really about Priti though. 

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

This isn't the issue. The issue is that the majority in societies get stuck on things like losing 10 episodes from a crap comedy show from their ITV player till they're blue in their face rather than focusing on why they are removed. If society could think like you want it to it would not be a problem, the last year is testament that it doesn't. Knife crime, poverty and race riots in London is an idication that our society won't think those two thoughts at the same time.

I think this is broadly right, but I would suggest that it's not so much that 'society won't think these two thoughts at the same time', and more that 'the government and the media take every opportunity they can to focus on and amplify the ephemera because they have no interest in addressing the main issue, and doing so gets angry white olds nicely riled up'.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

The most recent thing I've watched with excess use of the N word was The Wire, that will need to be edited down to a 90 minute movie I think.

Again, this sort of thing shows a massive misunderstanding of why that word is offensive and how it can and can’t be used

• Like 2

My parents were very strict regarding foul language when we were kids and it extends though to today, I dare not say bloody in front of mother and I never heard Dad swear and I never swore in front of him, I always considered the word we are discussing as a swear word.

Don't get me wrong, I do swear in a fun way with mates, but that word and the C word actually, I never use and never hear, except for the vile crap I hear at football.

Here in lies my problem, I'm uneducated on the whole racism issue. I do not know what that word really means and why it can ever be used in any context regardless of what colour we are.

There are too many people like me who just don't really get it because its not in our faces, well it is now, its was the world has been crying out for to finally change for the better. 

32 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I've not watched the show so have no idea on the context of its use  , but presumably it won't actually need any editing ?

As per my little Britain answer yesterday  and even if it was actually removed a few years ago   , Fawlty Towers the word was clearly put in it to show Major Fawcett was racist , they were exposing an English upper class bigot  ... It's removal , removes the chance to laugh at the absurdity of such a person and those views .... was anyone actually ever offended by that sketch ?  its removal probably caused more offence and that sorta highlights the point that good intentions can have the adverse effect  .. 

If its used with malice then , yep remove it , no question .. but let's maybe not remove stuff just for the sake of removing stuff  

I don’t necessarily disagree, but you could say the same thing about Til Death Us Do Part. 

That was also satire in that you were laughing at Alf Garnett and how racist he was rather than it being malicious. 

But I don’t think anyone would watch that now and not understand why it’s no longer appropriate.

Times change. It’s not a bad thing for stuff to be constantly reviewed and edited due to changing environments. 

As has already been said, that episode of Fawlty Towers has been edited for years when it’s been shown on TV so this isn’t new. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've been talking about this with my family. They all love Fawlty towers but when my sister posted this story to our whatsapp group (outraged because they assumed it was for the german/war part) and I told them it was for using the N word, nobody even remembered that scene.

Because it's usually edited out when it's on TV.

It's a complete non story. The streaming service is taking it down, to review it and probably edit it before re-uploading it, which has already happened when it's aired on TV but nobody even noticed. 

Times change. Things that were acceptable at one point in time aren't acceptable now. There's nothing wrong with pulling or editing offensive TV shows 10 or 20 0r 50 years later due to changing opinions. Nobody is punishin Cleese or Lucas or Walliams. Nobody is saying oh my god they were **** racist weren't they?! They're just acknowledging that what was acceptable then isn't acceptable now.

It really is not a big deal. It is something that has happened for a long long time before this. I'm sure people were complaining when "Till Death Us Do Part" or "Love Thy Neighbour" got deemed inappropriate but there's not many people who would argue now that they should still be shown on TV.

In love they Neighbour though its the white guy that is the  fool and comes off second best. 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I do think the police have an incredibly difficult job, I think overall the relationship between ‘the people’ and the police is a good one. There’s definitely room for improvement.

I do agree with this and i think a lot of people seem to forget how hard it js to do policing.  Its so easy to criticise until ypu do that job yourself.

Is it perfect? Not at all but i do think my experience with the police has mainly been positive.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, but you could say the same thing about Til Death Us Do Part. 

That was also satire in that you were laughing at Alf Garnett and how racist he was rather than it being malicious. 

But I don’t think anyone would watch that now and not understand why it’s no longer appropriate.

Times change. It’s not a bad thing for stuff to be constantly reviewed and edited due to changing environments. 

As has already been said, that episode of Fawlty Towers has been edited for years when it’s been shown on TV so this isn’t new. 

Likewise , I don't disagree with the point you make 

the issue with Alf Garnett was people sympathised with him, and he was a "likeable " character .. I think an audience now would view it differently , if given the chance (bit like your comment about how VT has  evolved , to some extent)  ...  saying that my memory is a bit hazy on the show  it may have been far more racist than I recall.

Times do indeed change , I'm not quite at the point where I embrace the demise of Apu from the Siimpsons  , but presumably 30 years from now society will deem it no longer appropriate, and we will be discussing how on earth did anyone ever watch that show ?

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I do agree with this and i think a lot of people seem to forget how hard it js to do policing.  Its so easy to criticise until ypu do that job yourself.

Is it perfect? Not at all but i do think my experience with the police has mainly been positive.

As a fellow white man, I concur the police do an ok job, and I've experienced no racism whatsoever. I've also found the EDL to be a great bunch of lads, they never direct any racial slurs at me at all. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Silly post really what does dalian atkinson have to do with my experience? 

I think the general point is, Dem, that your positive experiences with the police don’t really mean shit when you’re a white male. 

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So?

I don't see that programme being offensive to black people, in fact it was their favourite show at the time because it took the piss out of an ignorant white man. So that could still be shown today. 

A timely example. You'd think with the protests going on at the moment, plod would be on their best behaviour, but driving while black still seems to be an offence in some areas.

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Silly post really what does dalian atkinson have to do with my experience? 

Basically, what Stevo said. 

"If you abide the law (sic) they will let you go" is quite clearly not always the case, however much it might be true in your thankfully, limited experience. 

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the general point is, Dem, that your positive experiences with the police don’t really mean shit when you’re a white male. 

Sorry stevo but  why? I dont agree with this at all. I have as much right as anyone else regardless of skin colour

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Basically, what Stevo said. 

"If you abide the law (sic) they will let you go" is quite clearly not always the case, however much it might be true in your thankfully, limited experience. 

I agree its not  always the case there will will be some cases. I didnt say there wasnt. But as i said earlier policing has got much better than where it was in terms of racism 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Sir Robert Peel statue in Tamworth being boarded up to protect it today (after a different Robert Peel was outed as being racist).

That was quite funny. His dad was a bit of a racist, but they share a name. The original petition was about Sir Robert Peel's racism and opposition to the abolition of slavery. People pointed out they were a bunch of morons who'd got the wrong guy, and instead of admitting their mistake, they went all in and started going on about **** da po-lees, and all of that nonsense. "We were wrong, but we hate the pigs, so let's take his statue down anyway".

I think it's safe to say that if police forces around the world adhered to Peelian principles, there would be much less opposition to them.

One of the problems with movements like BLM is with no actual leadership structure, absolutely any old idiot can do something in their name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â