Norwich City

TRO

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Think the owners need to make a decision one way or another about the club future.

Significant spend will be needed to improve the squad but the wage structure would go out of control.

Can see them buckling down for a bit before making another run at it.

You are correct, we need to pick a lane and then fully commit to staying in it. We were so good at that for the first 3-4 seasons of the Stuart Webber/Daniel Farke reign, unsurprisingly around when this 'Oh, Norwich are surprisingly good' thread popped up. I think the first Farke Premier League season scarred Webber and changed how has approached building the squad when it really needn't have anywhere near as much. 

I don't actually think we have to spend loads more, we just have to change our approach to spending. Next time we're promoted we need to sign 3 players that improve our 11 instead of 11 that improve our squad. If you work smartly It generally doesn't cost loads to build a competitive Championship squad so we should be okay here too.

Promotion via playoffs this season will still be the goal but I don't think that should be the next manager's deciding factor on if he's here next season. We have to start thinking longer term again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Naaaaarch said:

You are correct, we need to pick a lane and then fully commit to staying in it. We were so good at that for the first 3-4 seasons of the Stuart Webber/Daniel Farke reign, unsurprisingly around when this 'Oh, Norwich are surprisingly good' thread popped up. I think the first Farke Premier League season scarred Webber and changed how has approached building the squad when it really needn't have anywhere near as much. 

I don't actually think we have to spend loads more, we just have to change our approach to spending. Next time we're promoted we need to sign 3 players that improve our 11 instead of 11 that improve our squad. If you work smartly It generally doesn't cost loads to build a competitive Championship squad so we should be okay here too.

Promotion via playoffs this season will still be the goal but I don't think that should be the next manager's deciding factor on if he's here next season. We have to start thinking longer term again.

All good points - the jump and stay in the premier league is the hardest thing to do. 

I meant that significant spend would be needed to go up this season. I agree that the better thing to do is go back to the first iteration of building a squad for promotion. But I understand the temptation of trying to go back up immediately lest be lost in the midtable championship wilderness.

If Webber commits to it - they'll be back up soon, but has to grit his teeth and get on with it this season.

15 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

All good points - the jump and stay in the premier league is the hardest thing to do. 

I meant that significant spend would be needed to go up this season. I agree that the better thing to do is go back to the first iteration of building a squad for promotion. But I understand the temptation of trying to go back up immediately lest be lost in the midtable championship wilderness.

If Webber commits to it - they'll be back up soon, but has to grit his teeth and get on with it this season.

I don't even think a significant spend is needed in January. Ideally there would be some movement in the squad (I'd imagine we'll be sending Ramsey back here, full time and not just for his recovery, and recycling tha loan spot for instance) but It's a change in impetus that's needed. We need a manager to come in and light fires under players like Alex Neil did in 2014-15. Easier said than done of course but historically we are pretty good at getting out of this division.

Ramsey has been recalled by us, he won't be going back to Norwich this season, his loan at the fashionable East Anglian outfit has ended.

Tommi O'Reilly would be a good replacement, or if need more of a defensive midfielder but one that's also very comfortable on the ball then Bogarde could be a good option.

Edited by useless

I hadn't actually seen the Tweets from the clubs, certainly more definitive than the rumblings we'd heard earlier in the week. Decent player but it makes sense that he'd go back.

The most obvious gaps in our squad are DM (our other loanee Hayden is permanently injured it seems) and on the wing. I guess that really depends on the new manager's system though.

13 minutes ago, Naaaaarch said:

I hadn't actually seen the Tweets from the clubs, certainly more definitive than the rumblings we'd heard earlier in the week. Decent player but it makes sense that he'd go back.

The most obvious gaps in our squad are DM (our other loanee Hayden is permanently injured it seems) and on the wing. I guess that really depends on the new manager's system though.

Put wor boots on and roll up wor sleeves and give it a right good go if what I have been told is true, god help 

• Haha 1

Supposedly only 1 of the 3 or 4 we've been interviewing have actually been on the bookies' lists. That's almost certainly Wagner so we're at least safe from a majority of the nonsense candidates that you'll have seen mentioned.

Go on, get Brucie in. You know you want to. He's really very good, honest! In no way will he have Norwich plummeting down the league like a bosted sparrow.  Plus the increased sales in Kebab shops around Carrow Road will dramatically increase GDP.

• Haha 1

Wagner ouch. Dreadful at Schalke including 18 games without a win and an 8-0 loss and sacked by Young Boys recently

A German/American Steve Bruce getting jobs because of his best mate

All things considered it's pretty brave from Webber, an appointment that will naturally attract a lot of low hanging criticism from the fanbase. You can say it's lazy or he's appointing a mate but the reality is if this appointment fails it falls way harder on Webber than it would if he just appointed somebody new. Ironically he got a lot of criticism for hiring Farke when he got here too - 'he's just a 1 trick pony hiring the Dortmund 2 coach again'.

I can certainly see the logic of the appointment. They know each other's methodology inside out. He's had success in this division with far less resources. After 14 months of Smith and Shakey our players are unfit to the point where they're blowing after 30 mins, Wagner's German schooling will demand a lot more than that. Cult of personality, wish that was less important but the players, club and fans probably need somebody to rally around if they're going to do anything special this year. 

Even with the mitigating circumstances (Schalke were a basket case behind the scenes and Young Boys were apparently selling players from under his feet) his last 2 jobs will have gone down as failures. He probably needs to succeed in this job almost as much as Webber needs him to. 

A more interesting appointment than it appears at first glance.

Edited by Naaaaarch

• 2 weeks later...

Players in roles that fit their game. Tactically playing to the strengths of the best striker and pair of attacking wing backs in the division.   Playing with intensity and disrupting opponents high up the pitch. It would seem that it's only taken a week to fix most of our on field problems. He's even got Kieran Dowell running which something I never thought I'd see.

Dead cat bounce? Perhaps but probably not. I think common sense has just finally prevailed.

If Smith's reputation had already taken a kicking it will if Norwich fly to promotion.

Will then have to take some poor jobs with setups not half as good as Brentford Villa and Norwich.

Portsmouth??? God almighty.

The slide down the league's starts here.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, a-k said:

Not been in great form since Deano was sacked. Maybe he wasnt't doing too bad of a job after all

They won the previous two games before yesterday scoring 8 goals in total

They lost to the runaway league leaders yesterday, which is no disgrace. 

• Like 1

Â