Norwich City

TRO

5 hours ago, Naaaaarch said:

Implosion is far too dramatic. It's been slow lead poisoning over the course of about 3 years.

We'll still be better off without Smith in the long run though.

And Dowell is better than Ramsey too. ;)

It’s a shame though, I always liked Norwich.  I loved how they always punched above their weight.  Loved the football they played.

But it seems their fans never appreciated that they were punching above their weight.  Even now, you go read some comments on their forums and they’re deluded.

Blaming their ?sporting director? Webber for not hiring better coaches than Smith or Wagner.

I mean seriously.  Who are they expecting there? Mourinho??

I bet they couldn’t even attract Gerrard.

Calling us a side step when we bought Buendia.  At the time I put up a graphic of owner wealth where we had NSWE worth a combined £8bn sitting around 3rd or 4th richest owners, and them worth £50m - bang bottom of the premier league.  But no! A huge side-step for Buendia.

They should never have sacked Farke.  He brought them up playing incredible football. When we came up we spent over £100m and stayed up by the skin of our teeth.  How on earth they expected him to keep them up was baffling.

When they went down, they had (and still have) a shit mid table squad.  They thought that squad was good enough for automatic promotion.  They think that because (wait for it) the bookies had them favourites for automatic promotion.  Did they check Chelsea’s odds for winning the league at the beginning of the season?

When Smith dropped down to 5th, they had their pitchforks out.  They got their way.  And now they’re 10th.

They really don’t belong in the premier league, they don’t have the financial muscle for it.  And each year more and more richer and richer owners join the ranks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

They rank probably bottom in owner wealth in the championship.  They’ll be lucky to be there in a season or two when they cut their parachute off.

Time for the fans to wake up.

No, you don’t belong in the premier league.  No, you can’t get better coaches than Smith/Wagner.

No, Villa are NOT a side-step for your stars.

/rant.

Edited by Thug

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Looks like they have finally run out of luck bouncing straight back up again. They could be down in the championship for a while. The fans are still backing them as I heard that they have sold 20,000 season tickets for next season, fair play to them.

Yup.

they have 3 seasons to get back up before their parachute falls off.  One down.  Two left before they disappear into the abyss.

The fans are still turning up, not so sure about backing them.  Toxic atmosphere affected their team, and with no manager bounce, they’ve already started on Wagner in the forum, not sure about the terraces.

Edited by Thug

10 hours ago, Thug said:

I’m thoroughly enjoying their implosion.

They couldn’t understand why Buendia would leave them and come to us.  I kid you not.

They didn’t like Smith even whilst he was top/second.

The didn’t like Aaron Ramsey, and accused him of being teachers pet.

It’s about time they were reminded that they’re a shit tiny club.

Buendia and Smith thing is a little understandable but the treatment of Ramsey a young kid was disgraceful

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Buendia and Smith thing is a little understandable but the treatment of Ramsey a young kid was disgraceful

Yh I know, at the time I ‘got it’ and let it go.

But add that to their comments now about how Webber should do better with hiring coaches…

Seriously? Who do they expect?

Smith had just got villa promoted, kept them up, finished 11th, and then was unfortunate to have lost his job after losing a superstar and gone on an unlucky run of losses.  Half their fan base had already made their mind up that they didn’t want him.  Like they could get Poch or something.

Now Wagner, who also got promotion previously is not good enough.  Farke wasn’t good enough.

Who do they expect?

Edited by Thug
  • Like 1

Let's be honest, it's been all downhill for Norwich ever since the ghoulish refurb of Captain America's Hamburger Heaven in 2021.  People should have been put up against the wall and shot for that.

• Haha 1

I still have my suspicion that something socially awkward and embarrassing happened in the director’s dining area or elsewhere when Norwich last played Fulham (over 5 years and counting). And ever since then the two clubs are essentially giving each other a wide berth at social functions. A sort of unspoken agreement to deliberately miss each other to avoid another awkward scene.

“What, go back to the Premier League again? Fulham won’t be there, will they? Oh they will? Actually, thanks for the offer, but, erm, I don’t think we can make it, looking at our diary we already have plans with Hull…”

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Thug said:

Yh I know, at the time I ‘got it’ and let it go.

But add that to their comments now about how Webber should do better with hiring coaches…

Seriously? Who do they expect?

Smith had just got villa promoted, kept them up, finished 11th, and then was unfortunate to have lost his job after losing a superstar and gone on an unlucky run of losses.  Half their fan base had already made their mind up that they didn’t want him.  Like they could get Poch or something.

Now Wagner, who also got promotion previously is not good enough.  Farke wasn’t good enough.

Who do they expect?

They should appoint a former player. A man with the most promotions in the championship. Hmmm, let me think who?

spacer.png

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Thug said:

/rant.

Nice rant, Deano.

On Webber , the vitriol towards him over the last couple of years has been for far more than just the managerial appointments. For most it's the fact we're clearly going backwards on the pitch despite record spending. For others it's his clash with fans last year and his perceived lack of interest (spends more time talking about mountaineering and f1 than Norwich City these days). For some it's the fact he's done a Fergie and is refusing to speak to local press despite building the club up based on transparency with fans. 

For me his lack of communication with fans probably a part of the reason fans lost patience with Smith so quickly. He was never given the 'this is a multi year project and it might take time to change our style....' sort of announcement. Whilst it's true most fans weren't bothered with Smith from the very beginning I believe the fanbase would have gotten behind him if they could see any genuine improvement.

Fans didn't not want Smith because he wasn't a big enough name (most didn't want Lampard either). Most wanted a continuation of the Farke 'philosophy' and that was clearly never going to be Smith.

On the Buendia/sidestep comments I feel like you've been had by Twitter. I'm not sure many genuinely believe the sentiment that it was a sideways move. Even if you'd just finished 16th and it wouldn't be mad to suggest it's 1 relegation battle for another you tripled his wages.

Our owners have been towards the bottom of the wealth league of the top 2 divisions since they got here. Since I've been a season ticket holder (around 20 years) we've only had 4 or 5 seasons below the Championship's top 10, I wouldn't be too worried about dropping too far even if we weren't almost certainly in the process of selling to somebody a lot wealthier.

When it comes to managers we do tend to do better when picking up those that are lesser known and on the up. Of the 3 more known managers I've seen us employ Smith was certainly far more Roeder than he was Hughton. Gave off the impression that he thought he was above the club whilst simultaneously producing nothing on the pitch.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Naaaaarch said:

Nice rant, Deano.

On Webber , the vitriol towards him over the last couple of years has been for far more than just the managerial appointments. For most it's the fact we're clearly going backwards on the pitch despite record spending. For others it's his clash with fans last year and his perceived lack of interest (spends more time talking about mountaineering and f1 than Norwich City these days). For some it's the fact he's done a Fergie and is refusing to speak to local press despite building the club up based on transparency with fans. 

For me his lack of communication with fans probably a part of the reason fans lost patience with Smith so quickly. He was never given the 'this is a multi year project and it might take time to change our style....' sort of announcement. Whilst it's true most fans weren't bothered with Smith from the very beginning I believe the fanbase would have gotten behind him if they could see any genuine improvement.

Fans didn't not want Smith because he wasn't a big enough name (most didn't want Lampard either). Most wanted a continuation of the Farke 'philosophy' and that was clearly never going to be Smith.

On the Buendia/sidestep comments I feel like you've been had by Twitter. I'm not sure many genuinely believe the sentiment that it was a sideways move. Even if you'd just finished 16th and it wouldn't be mad to suggest it's 1 relegation battle for another you tripled his wages.

Our owners have been towards the bottom of the wealth league of the top 2 divisions since they got here. Since I've been a season ticket holder (around 20 years) we've only had 4 or 5 seasons below the Championship's top 10, I wouldn't be too worried about dropping too far even if we weren't almost certainly in the process of selling to somebody a lot wealthier.

When it comes to managers we do tend to do better when picking up those that are lesser known and on the up. Of the 3 more known managers I've seen us employ Smith was certainly far more Roeder than he was Hughton. Gave off the impression that he thought he was above the club whilst simultaneously producing nothing on the pitch.

Who was the big enough name that would join a bottom team and continue play the Farke style and accept relegation?

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Who was the big enough name that would join a bottom team and continue play the Farke style and accept relegation?

Isn't the point he's making that they didn't care how big the name was, they wanted a manager who would play that style?

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I said that most Norwich fans weren't bothered about having a big name.

It was clear from pretty early on that even with a change in style (Farke tried it) we wouldn't have a chance with that squad. I think Webber knew he ****** up and then panicked. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Naaaaarch said:

I said that most Norwich fans weren't bothered about having a big name.

It was clear from pretty early on that even with a change in style (Farke tried it) we wouldn't have a chance with that squad. I think Webber knew he ****** up and then panicked. 

Yep i read it wrong. Sorry

Farke wasn't going to stick about for a 3rd promotion push so a change was coming anyway

37 minutes ago, Naaaaarch said:

Nice rant, Deano.

Don’t go on Twitter.

I went on pink un forums.

50 minutes ago, Naaaaarch said:

On Webber ,  it's his clash with fans last year and his perceived lack of interest (spends more time talking about mountaineering and f1 than Norwich City these days).

I don't blame him.

You shot yourselves in the foot the day you sacked Farke.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yep i read it wrong. Sorry

Farke wasn't going to stick about for a 3rd promotion push so a change was coming anyway

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/daniel-farke-pens-contract-extension

We'll never know but I don't think he was walking away. He seemed to be well on board with the long term plan at the club. Sadly the man running that long term plan changed course.

12 minutes ago, Thug said:

Don’t go on Twitter.

I went on pink un forums.

lol, I've been reading and posting on that forum for more than 15 years. Like all football forums it has it's characters and WUMs but it's a pretty balanced place overall. If you cherry pick hard enough you're going to prove any conclusion you've already come to.

15 minutes ago, Naaaaarch said:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/daniel-farke-pens-contract-extension

We'll never know but I don't think he was walking away. He seemed to be well on board with the long term plan at the club. Sadly the man running that long term plan changed course.

lol, I've been reading and posting on that forum for more than 15 years. Like all football forums it has it's characters and WUMs but it's a pretty balanced place overall. If you cherry pick hard enough you're going to prove any conclusion you've already come to.

No I do get that, we have our own ‘characters’ on here.

But the voices of reason when it came to Deano were few and far between.

I’m not saying he was great for you, he clearly wasn’t.  But I think your fans have too high an expectation of what is achievable with your resources.

Farke did an absolutely incredible job getting you up, playing superb football.  You were never going to get a better manager than him.  Sacking him shouldn’t even have been a consideration.

Â