Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

There’s not being good enough, and then there’s being treated in a certain way to force a player to move on.

The same happened to AEG.

I can’t say that I agree with these tactics.

Although, contracts work both ways.  If the player doesn’t like it, then they should be having serious words with their agents about not inserting a ‘made to train with the kids’ clause.  Or ‘not named in the first team squad’ clause.

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

He played 25 games and Elmo 18, seems to be a myth on here he was Elmo backup

After the first half of the first season that Fred was at Villa wasn't Cash first choice RB and Elmo backup to Cash and Fred further down the pecking order? 

Is the removing of him from the website not just because we are only permitted to have a 25 man squad and there are only 25 players listed on the team. There is a list of players out on loan. We are hardly going to have another list of 'Players not in squad and not out on loan'

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

After the first half of the first season that Fred was at Villa wasn't Cash first choice RB and Elmo backup to Cash and Fred further down the pecking order? 

No, but he got loaned out rather than be backup to Cash. I think it was his decision just as much as the clubs.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No, but he got loaned out rather than be backup to Cash. I think it was his decision just as much as the clubs.

But surely that mean Elmo was back up to Cash for the 2nd half of that season? The fact that we sent him out on loan would suggest we preferred Elmo to Fred as backup RB. If we wanted him to stay as backup RB and he wanted to go out on loan instead, he should have been put up for sale then. Players can't be refusing to play as a backup

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

But surely that mean Elmo was back up to Cash for the 2nd half of that season? The fact that we sent him out on loan would suggest we preferred Elmo to Fred as backup RB. If we wanted him to stay as backup RB and he wanted to go out on loan instead, he should have been put up for sale then. Players can't be refusing to play as a backup

He probably was put up for sale. No club are going to pay his wages.  

4 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Is the removing of him from the website not just because we are only permitted to have a 25 man squad and there are only 25 players listed on the team. There is a list of players out on loan. We are hardly going to have another list of 'Players not in squad and not out on loan'

Archer and Ramsey don’t have to be registered so it’s not that. We’ve also got 14 out of 17 allowed non-Homegrown players by my rough count so I don’t think it’s that either unless I’m wrong on 3 of them.

• Like 1

On 10/09/2022 at 13:06, grantholtgolazo said:

Has to be the most extreme case of absence makes the heart grow fonder. The SG derangement syndrome is turning this guy into a folk hero.

Said it in a different thread, but it’s Salifou Syndrome. Same is happening with Sanson. The longer they don’t play the better they become in fans’ minds. 

Guilbert wasn’t good enough. If he’s being treated badly then that’s a shame, but it doesn’t suddenly mean Ed good enough to be playing

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Said it in a different thread, but it’s Salifou Syndrome. Same is happening with Sanson. The longer they don’t play the better they become in fans’ minds. 

Guilbert wasn’t good enough. If he’s being treated badly then that’s a shame, but it doesn’t suddenly mean Ed good enough to be playing

Not sure you can mention Sansom in this context - none of us have seen him play enough minutes to make this judgement - anyway sorry, back to this thread.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Guilbert was mostly first choice in his first season at villa, but then didn’t play as much during “project restart” for unknown reasons. That summer we then bought Cash who became first choice RB, Guilbert fell out of favour at that point.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

He should be in the list of 25 players as we don't actually have 25 senior players available. We've included Archer in that list even though he's eligible still for under 21s squad.

Pretty petty we've left 1-2 spots available just to de-list him. If we get in a new manager he won't be able to use him until January for instance.

Guess Gerrard just wanted to justify Young getting a new deal by including him in every single matchday squad.

Wouldn't shock me if we just terminated his deal in next few weeks, he only has 9 months left on it now.

• Like 1

When First he loan, Out. I was very angry and don't understand as he was better and good player he devilry us quiet good until cash move in, on book he is way better than Elmo. I thought best thing is sell Elmo for small money as his final year.  And Shock Loan and Keep him stay. I thought it is fine end of season, Elmo left ... and Cash won't got injuryed... few match later he is out of season, I thought damn, we should keep Fred there, as Elmo play poor wholes end of the season.

That we sign Ashley Young, i like mmmm right back and left back but will play more on left back as cover Targett and Fred Cover in end we play Ashley over him right back and sign Dinge i thought Targett and Dinge will great left back Ashley and Cash, I understand why loan him (in end Targett sold) and still loan him out, Understand due we out cup early.

that Kayler-Hayden "KH" promote i want him play over Fred, and sold him or loan early as we can, shock again, KH, he loan and Ashley sign extend, i thought oh no why we still keep Ashley when Fred play better that Ashley (minus that man city games which Ashley is performance superb) I feeling Harsh for Fred Gulibert, as I really like him as player and i think he is prefect system for Gerrard over Young as suit his style (beside KH) accord age of KH is right time sit Bench and learn high level and ready to challenge Cash, take slow. 

that extra insult to Fred, no sell or loan and remove him as first team and register. I feeling for him if i was him, Fred. I will fuel angry and heart sink heart same time because he is don't deserves this as he was superb at his loan club and best player in right back, high rate in french league , one of few top right back, and we luck have him at our book. But our Manager treat him harsh and unfair, undeserves.

Sanson was same victims as him. 

I’d have thought Guilbert would be a useful member if the squad. I understand if he’s not first choice, or even second choice but if we’ve de-registered him when there’s space in the squad it’s just bizarre, we’re still paying his wages regardless so we might as well have the option of using if it was ever required. I don’t follow French football but his stats suggest he’s done a good job over there on loan and last season was a first choice for a side that finished 6th and had one of the best defensive records from when he signed in January for the rest of the season which suggests he must be at least a fairly competent player, which coincides with what I’ve seen from him in a villa shirt.

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

Not sure you can mention Sansom in this context - none of us have seen him play enough minutes to make this judgement - anyway sorry, back to this thread.

Kind of my point. People have decided he’s good and he’s the answer to the midfield

It’s nothing to do with Guilbert or Sanson. It’s a consequence of the general feelings of both Gerrard and the club for standing by him. Anything to have a dig at the club is found.

Once he’s sacked both threads will soon drop to other pages.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s nothing to do with Guilbert or Sanson. It’s a consequence of the general feelings of both Gerrard and the club for standing by him. Anything to have a dig at the club is found.

Once he’s sacked both threads will soon drop to other pages.

Not only that, this bomb squad thing isn’t good for our reputation. New players will keep thinking they might end up like these. 

• Like 1

Â