Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

You can make as many excuses as you want, bt 1 nil up against title contenders , you don't give a goal away like that.

He gave 2 away against Leicester as well.

Carlos should be an improvement, but I don't trust Mings tbh

I'd keep a watch on that lad Bournemouth have just bought.

it was a poor goal to give away no question

but i'm still yet to understand why it's always this thread that gets bumped after a defeat. konsa had an absolute disaster today and has been bang average for a while. emery lost his shit at konsa when he **** up for nketieh to nearly score so don't expect mings to be going anywhere anytime soon.

• Like 2

He could have done better with the header but it came behind him at speed and got knocked back in the worst spot. Fair play - not the best clearance but it wasn’t an easy ball he kicked right to Saka. Not for the first of many times, the gap between Mings and the next closest Villa marker (in this case Buendia of all people) was too large. 

It’s easy to point to mistakes because of the result but defense, as a whole, is a chain reaction of errors. Saka took it first time in the corner. That ball on the other end, Bailey blazes over or Watkins hits it at the keeper. Those are the differences between first place and eleventh. 

A decent game aside, I think his most egregious error was getting done by Odegaard I think it was at the halfway line which led to the Nketiah chance. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

How many caps does Ty have for England again? He’s an international level defender and rightly so. Does he make mistakes? Sure? But he also made a lot of big tackles and clearances. 

He makes a fair few big mistakes though. He’s an “international level” defender solely because England are poor in that area (and even then he shouldn’t be first choice). 

It definitely was the wrong place to head the ball.

But the cross was smashed in from inside the area, and he didn't have much option but to get a firm head on it. I think a lot of decent CBs would have made the same mistake in that situation.

Other players should be reacting quicker to the second ball there.

Not saying Mings is the best CB in the world, but I don't think our defensive problems are going to be fixed by having better CBs. It's more the way the whole team defends as a unit, and tbh our full backs are a bigger concern than our CBs at the moment.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

He makes a fair few big mistakes though. He’s an “international level” defender solely because England are poor in that area (and even then he shouldn’t be first choice). 

Mings would have international caps for pretty much any country in the world. The defensive qualities of CBs have dropped in recent years because of the way the game has evolved. You still get the odd Rolls Royce type like Ramos, but most CBs are pretty flawed in one way or another.

Look at the starting CBs in the WC22 final... Romero, Otamendi, Upamecano, Varane. Ok Varane is (or at least has been) world class, but the other 3 are very mistake prone.

I think we give Mings too much of a hard time when he's clearly one of our best players.

• Like 1

That header today was almost as bad as the one to Mount against Chelsea. He'd have been altogether better just not heading it at all. Heading it back it into the middle of the penalty area rarely ends well.

Edited by Risso

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

You do know you’ll go up in flames if you criticise Mings here. It’s a stupid, poorly directed header, end of. It’s amazing - Eddie Howe was able to identify pretty quickly that mings wouldn’t be good enough to play CB. We revere him.

Post a few up from yours has 7 likes for saying his header was poor. 

Quit the nonsense about not being allowed to Criticise Mings. What you mean is I don't like him and think everyone else is wrong not to feel the same way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Ty alongside Diego is different gravy. He tries to do everything because Konsa isn’t very good. 

I must of missed that part where Konsa ran over to Mings, grabbed his head and motioned his head in the direction of the ball and sent it into Saka’s path. Mings is allowed to be called out on shite errors and you can still be of the opinion that you don’t rate Konsa. Those 2 things aren’t mutually exclusive. 

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

firstly, he had 18 months left, so not really out of contract. secondly, we wouldn't tie a player on to an increased salary and 3.5 more years of loyalty bonus' we'd then have to pay off when we decide to sell in the summer

clubs simply don't give new contracts to players they're planning on selling. maybe you're slow to get that

Am Delph to name u one.  A player going into his last year of contract is going to be near impossible to sell.  Villa now will get something if they choose to sell.  Maybe you’re slow

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

You do know you’ll go up in flames if you criticise Mings here. It’s a stupid, poorly directed header, end of. It’s amazing - Eddie Howe was able to identify pretty quickly that mings wouldn’t be good enough to play CB. We revere him.

Oh yeah Sir Eddie Howe who's got one decent half-season in the Premier League under his belt with Saudi oil money, now about to fall apart. Mings has been one of our best players for 4 seasons now. Howe was wrong.

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Oh yeah Sir Eddie Howe who's got one decent half-season in the Premier League under his belt with Saudi oil money, now about to fall apart. Mings has been one of our best players for 4 seasons now. Howe was wrong.

Your point is naff. He’s improved immeasurably Longstaff, Almiron, Joelinton. That’s coaching. They weren’t bought in with oil money. You think Mings takes us on mate to where we wanna go then pass that bong over on here. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Mings would have international caps for pretty much any country in the world. The defensive qualities of CBs have dropped in recent years because of the way the game has evolved. You still get the odd Rolls Royce type like Ramos, but most CBs are pretty flawed in one way or another.

Look at the starting CBs in the WC22 final... Romero, Otamendi, Upamecano, Varane. Ok Varane is (or at least has been) world class, but the other 3 are very mistake prone.

I think we give Mings too much of a hard time when he's clearly one of our best players.

Meh, I don't think he is.  Our defence is pretty weak generally.  He's a good player and I'm pleased he's signed an extension because he's (more importantly) a great guy too, but he's very replaceable in the first team.

• Like 1

I don’t see a world in which he doesn’t start for us. I do think the defence needs to be built around him as he is integral despite some errors. I’m hoping Mings + Carlos answers the problems to our defensive failings. 

• Like 1

Happy for him to get the new contract. He will make a good backup next season, but if he is starting next season then we really are not going to be moving in the right direction. It would be a massive mistake not to strengthen the defence come the summer. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Your point is naff. He’s improved immeasurably Longstaff, Almiron, Joelinton. That’s coaching. They weren’t bought in with oil money. You think Mings takes us on mate to where we wanna go then pass that bong over on here. 

Newcastle will finish mid table. It's hilarious how all these half season and one season wonders get lauded on here whenever we're pissed off with our own players.

Seen it all before with Wilder's Sheffield Utd, Moyes's West Ham, etc etc. It's just the usual grass is greener nonsense.

Eddie Howe's opinion on Mings means **** all. Mings has been one of our best signings of recent years.

• Like 3

Sorry but when did Howe say he didn't rate Mings as a centre back? I've not seen this! I'm pretty sure he was the one that converted Mings to a cb.

Also sure he said he would've liked to keep him, but Mings had his heart set on joining Villa. They had also just signed 2 centre backs the previous summer. And we got him on loan just after recovering from 2 serious knee injuries. 

• Like 1

Was a poor header but the goal sums up the leadership void in the rest of the defence. Havent seen it back but it looked like Martinez could have called it before Mings headed it away. I think if it's Konsa heading it away then Mings is telling him that Emi is behind him

Anyway Saka was also alone from an Arsenal attack and was alert to the header

At the match I thought it was a dreadful header. I thought it was deliberate, trying to be a bit too clever and knock it down to a defender. 

Looking at it again on the tellybox it came at him very fast at an awkward angle. I think it was probably physically impossible to put any kind of control or direction on it.  It was really just a matter of get your head in the way and where it ricochets is where it goes. 

As such I place much less blame on him now than I did walking away from the game yesterday. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Risso said:

That header today was almost as bad as the one to Mount against Chelsea. He'd have been altogether better just not heading it at all. Heading it back it into the middle of the penalty area rarely ends well.

I'd say he should have just headed it out for a corner but we're so bad at defending those that it would probably have been a goal anyway 

• Like 1

Â