Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

I would definitely be giving him a contract extension. Like many he didn't have his best game at the weekend but has been arguably our best player this season and is clearly a good person to have around the squad. 

I'd have no issue if he's starting next season either - though suspect we may make one more signing there so he'll have to fight for the shirt. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Should have looked behind him for their 2nd. Cleared the ball well, then no awareness where the attacker was. Never once looked over his shoulder.

2nd goal, either play offside , or follow the runner , he did neither.

He has been ok this season, but he was at fault for 2 goals yday

I don't think we have taken care of the back post, for years.....far too open.......a player positioned there, might have got that header before Iheanacho, of put in a challenge.

They say he always scores against us.....is there any surprise, playing like that.

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

He is bound to leave in the summer. To last 4 years is an eternity at Villa. I can barely remember the last time a non-home grown player has stayed with us for 5 plus seasons. Hutton (though on loan for a 18 month  spell in the middle), or maybe Petrov.

Be interesting where he could end up if he did leave. Also the angry fanbases that hate him might have to swallow some pride and accept him

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Be interesting where he could end up if he did leave. Also the angry fanbases that hate him might have to swallow some pride and accept him

Brentford maybe but they might not want to do business with his fee. Fulham would love to have him as Ream is 38? almost and would slot in perfectly as a left sided CB. Leeds fans hate him but he would be a massive improvement on their back line. 

6 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Brentford maybe but they might not want to do business with his fee. Fulham would love to have him as Ream is 38? almost and would slot in perfectly as a left sided CB. Leeds fans hate him but he would be a massive improvement on their back line. 

He would definitely go higher than that. West Ham, Everton he would improve also even a team like Spurs

Liverpool centre backs are phoning it in this season that they are considering starting Nat Phillips again

West Ham have invested a decent amount on their CB's but Mings is still probably better than most of them. Everton agreed though I'm not sure how much higher than the other clubs they'll remain.

Joe Gomez is a disaster class every other week so Mings would better them too but I don't think Liverpool would do business even after new owners.

Fulham does seem like a natural landing spot for him. But look around and I would probably take Mings over Davies and Dier at Spurs too.

Villa fans are a bit deluded in thinking we could immediately upgrade Mings over some flashy overseas prospect. Konsa I would quicker ship out if Diego's achilles holds up and we'll eventually have to replace Mings but we need him even for rotation if we ever wish to compete for Europe otherwise we're back to Chambers and...checks notes...Dendoncker as our depth. There's also a lack of left sided CB's with his profile as well so we'll be struggling to replace him.

Unai rates him a little bit I think, but I would be surprised if Mings suddenly made this big jump into the ball playing CB that Unai needs.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 2

Mings gets so much stick and for some games rightly so but we are miles worse defending set pieces without him.

Would be curious to see how often in last 12 months we've conceded directly from a corner with him on the pitch.

Short sample but just recently we got knocked out of the cup because no one could be bothered to tell Ollie to run a bit faster to close down the short corner. And today all attention was on Haaland and no foresight to realise a guy who scored in the cup final v us could do the same.

People talk about building from the back and all that which is crucial in modern game but we also need another CB in the squad who relishes heading the ball away from set pieces. Bournemouth on opening day we were also vulnerable to them and lost a goal early from a corner.

• Like 2

In a way, if Mings or our other more important players (whomever you think that is) does miss a game, it’s a game like Man City away where I’m of the opinion a defeat is quite likely.

I know that is somewhat defeatist, but it’s also kinda realistic. If you gave me the choice of Mings or Kamara or Martinez or whomever missing a match we’re likely going to lose regardless or a match that is more in the balance and their presence might make the difference between 1 point and 3, I’d rather they take part in the latter match.

Â