Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I agree but Mings did look shaky when he played in pre season so I wasn’t massively surprised that SG dropped him as I think he’s been waiting for the opportunity. I just thought he’d go for Chambers who has looked good. Konsa was the oddest choice and backfired massively.

He made a couple of mistakes against Utd for sure but don’t remember much beyond that. 

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

He made a couple of mistakes against Utd for sure but don’t remember much beyond that. 

No massive clangers but looked below par to me in all the games he played, little mistakes, slow etc. Maybe all this captain stuff was already going on in the background or maybe his confidence was low after the England snub, or maybe just a simple pre season lack of fitness. 

In any case, some other players get away with it with SG, Mings doesn’t.

I thought last season was Mings' best in a Villa shirt to be honest. The captaincy seemed to have elevated him, made him play more seriously. Ironically it was Konsa's worst, which makes yesterday's selection even crazier.

• Like 2

Think there is a massive overreaction here. I don’t think dropping mings was all that bad of a decision. We lose that game whether mings plays or not and we’d have all been slating him in here after. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Remind us how Deano has been getting on since he left!

I'm not massively upset he wasn't picked - the reason for that being that Chambers hasn't put a foot wrong since joining us and has been consistently good not just at defending but also on the ball, and in my view he's done enough to earn the shirt ahead of Mings.

To pick Konsa ahead of either of them is what really baffles me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grobs said:

Think there is a massive overreaction here. I don’t think dropping mings was all that bad of a decision. We lose that game whether mings plays or not and we’d have all been slating him in here after. 

From a distance we knew they would play Solanke  Moore and Billing who are all shelf stackers. 

Apart from Lukaku i can never remember any other big striker getting the better of Ty. 

And we played two short centrebacks against them  , one making his debut and speaking little English , and the other a quieter player returning from injury after his poorest season since joining the Villa 

We might well have lost yesterday even with Mings , but the decision was crazy looking at the above. . 

It was too quiet out there. McGinn isnt a talker . Even at Sunday league level you would hear more talking . 

3 minutes ago, grobs said:

I’d agree. Two players that were on the bench that people are questioning Gerrard over most are Mings and Buendia, neither of them had trained much in the week and so that particular decision was probably correct. It’s who he replaced them with that seems to be the problem, particularly Konsa. If one of our 5 CBs is that poor then surely that’s the problem. People are choosing to make this a Mings captaincy issue as another stick to beat the manager with and it may be an issue that doesn’t exist. There are plenty of others after yesterday’s game. Given that for a long time Tyrone has been one of the go to scape goats it’s all a bit at least, dare I say fickle?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’d agree. Two players that were on the bench that people are questioning Gerrard over most are Mings and Buendia, neither of them had trained much in the week and so that particular decision was probably correct. It’s who he replaced them with that seems to be the problem, particularly Konsa. If one of our 5 CBs is that poor then surely that’s the problem. People are choosing to make this a Mings captaincy issue as another stick to beat the manager with and it may be an issue that doesn’t exist. There are plenty of others after yesterday’s game. Given that for a long time Tyrone has been one of the go to scape goats it’s all a bit at least, dare I say fickle?

The problem is not just about who he replaced them with, but the multiple comments about one in particular that clearly says there is an issue

18 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’d agree. Two players that were on the bench that people are questioning Gerrard over most are Mings and Buendia, neither of them had trained much in the week and so that particular decision was probably correct.

Mings was in training all week

I'm scratching my head, wandering what more Ty could of done as captain of this club? 

Yes, he has made a few mistakes but show me a flawless centre back in world football and I'll have 3lb of rocking horse shit delivered to your door. 

Off the pitch he's been a brilliant ambassador for this club. The way he conducts himself on social media is fantastic and I can imagine he's a popular character in the dressing room. 

Without him in the team, straight away we are weaker. He's better than Konsa and being left footed adds a balance at the back. 

Whatever Gerrards issue is, he needs to suck it up and realise he's made a massive error. Obviously he won't restore him as captain but Mings would be in my team everyday of the week. I'd bet most clubs outside the big 6 would have him and he'd start every game. 

• Like 2

Agree with all of that @Keyblade . It also strikes me as incredibly odd he let out drag on for as long as he did. Ever since he came in he's been publicly talking about dropping him as Captain, why does it take until a week before the season starts?

Ashley Young as club captain is just bizarre, frankly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobs said:

Possibly we would lose the game if Mings played though he would at least have provided some height to combat Bournemouth. Really though dropping Mings was one of several whopping great mistakes that led to such a poor performance and result.

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

He had a knock and was a doubt on Friday. 

If he did, it was presumably after this went out on Friday, I didn't hear about it if it was the case, he certainly didn't miss most of training during the week as you suggested though

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Depends. He'll still have hope of making world cup squad (Conor Coady was interestingly on the bench for Wolves today so not sure what's happening there) so he needs to be playing somewhere week in week out post August.

I get the feeling we'll put him back in the team next weekend as really don't think Konsa is right partner for Diego, yet another odd call from Gerrard. Will be like O'Leary dropping Mellberg for his first game at Portsmouth and then putting him straight back in.

West Ham and Everton are linked with Coady. Much like Tyrone, he wins the ball in the air for fun, organises those around him and their defence would be much weaker without him. Wouldn't say no to having Conor at Villa Park, alongside Tyrone, if they don't want him. 

I'm still hoping it was match fitness that led to Tyrone being on the bench, rather than on the pitch yesterday. There should be no question that he should start next week, after yesterday's shambolic start to the new season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

If he did, it was presumably after this went out on Friday, I didn't hear about it if it was the case, he certainly didn't miss most of training during the week as you suggested though

The missing training was admittedly recycled info from on here, so more fool me! The Mings injury doubt on Friday was from the SG presser so you can make what you like from that. I can probably guess roughly the line that will take. 

Â