Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Don't get the Mings hate. If he is a liability then why is he a virtual England squad automatic? Plus has good leadership qualities. Ok he makes an occasional mistake but so does most defenders. Especially in a side that rarely gets over 50% of the ball  and for most of the time does not have a functioning midfield.

• Like 2

Interesting how people see the game.

Mings error? Yep, tripped on the ball. In the scramble, they score. Unlucky

Alison error? Yep, kicked the ball into Watkins and the deflection off both Watkin's legs returns the ball in a favourable position to gather back in. Lucky.

Very few remember the latter, though - even though it was the bigger mistake.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Don't get the Mings hate. If he is a liability then why is he a virtual England squad automatic? Plus has good leadership qualities. Ok he makes an occasional mistake but so does most defenders. Especially in a side that rarely gets over 50% of the ball  and for most of the time does not have a functioning midfield.

I’d much rather have Ty than Slabhead or the others that start for England 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

one thing i will say - 

Slow-mo-of-foul-on-Konsa-Imgur

look how quick he reacts to his mistake and gets back in to the game, nakamba stops

would be interesting if martinez's (great) save inadvertently stops mings from clearing it

I’ll be devils advocate here: if Emi didn’t save it, it was going straight to Mane who was offside by a mile. Or at least he was, until Mings charged back and actually played him on. If Emi doesn’t save it and Mane scores you can easily argue that it would be Mings’ fault for charging back and allowing him to be back inside.

Naturally we see emotion and passion or a bursting run and we think positively, but in my opinion it’s Mings’ emotions that hold him back from further progression. 

FWIW, Nakamba covered Mings brilliantly in the build up for the goal. He was just unlucky that his clearance rebounded kindly for Matip. It was just one of those things. On a different day Ty clears his lines or Nakamba gets it away.  

44 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

I’ll be devils advocate here: if Emi didn’t save it, it was going straight to Mane who was offside by a mile. Or at least he was, until Mings charged back and actually played him on. If Emi doesn’t save it and Mane scores you can easily argue that it would be Mings’ fault for charging back and allowing him to be back inside.

Naturally we see emotion and passion or a bursting run and we think positively, but in my opinion it’s Mings’ emotions that hold him back from further progression. 

the offside rule is between the last 2 players so would switch emi and mings so he would still be offside

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Top class defenders don't as often as he has let's be perfectly honest for us to move forward either he cuts them out or eventually be replaced.

Nakamba had him covered - the rebound was lucky to hit Matip 

22 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Top class defenders don't as often as he has let's be perfectly honest for us to move forward either he cuts them out or eventually be replaced.

In the last 3 seasons he has made 4 mistakes that have led directly to a goal.  Official stats from the PL website.

We're talking really, really fine margins here.

• Like 1

Don’t know if anyone else noticed but in the first half Gerrard had a massive go at Mings. We had a freekick just inside our half, which Mings passed side/backwards. Gerrard went ballistic at him for not playing forward. A few minutes later when play stopped for an injury, Mings went straight to Gerrard and appeared to be saying whats the problem and ‘having words’?

In view of the fact that Gerrard publicly raised the question of who should be captain next year, I don’t think he rates Mings and that he will move him on in the summer.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

For me it wasn't Mings tripping over the ball. The main issue was the second ball/phase and the fact it wasn't cleared when it dropped, which looked a relatively simple thing to do! Half the time our players seem to fall asleep in the box when we need to be super aggressive and alert.

18 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

The list of CBs in the Prem who don't make mistakes is very, very short.

You might even say that there is no one on that list.

4 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Don’t know if anyone else noticed but in the first half Gerrard had a massive go at Mings. We had a freekick just inside our half, which Mings passed side/backwards. Gerrard went ballistic at him. A few minutes later when play stopped for an injury, Mings went straight to Gerrard and appeared to be saying whats the problem?

In view of the fact that Gerrard publicly raised the question of who should be captain next year, Irrespective of

Think a similar thing happened when Mings refused to play the ball forward for some reason and then had to knock it out for a throw or corner. Martinez had a go at him and rightly so. Both Mings and Konsa were inexplicably hesitating with simple passes actually. 

20 minutes ago, birdman said:

For me it wasn't Mings tripping over the ball. The main issue was the second ball/phase and the fact it wasn't cleared when it dropped, which looked a relatively simple thing to do! Half the time our players seem to fall asleep in the box when we need to be super aggressive and alert.

Nakamba won the second ball but the deflection hit Matip - so it’s just a horrid slice of luck 

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Interesting how people see the game.

Mings error? Yep, tripped on the ball. In the scramble, they score. Unlucky

Alison error? Yep, kicked the ball into Watkins and the deflection off both Watkin's legs returns the ball in a favourable position to gather back in. Lucky.

Very few remember the latter, though - even though it was the bigger mistake.

Doesn’t that sum up our season? It feels like all our mistakes are punished and our opponents get lucky breaks regularly.  

• Like 2

Love this guy, he's been absolutely amazing for us and is probably the best and most important defender we've had since probably Martin Laursen. 

Fans are looking for mistakes from this guy, people are full of confirmation bias. Mistakes happen, every defender makes them, even Van Dijk and Diaz have made plenty of mistakes this season. 

Granted, he isn't a great passer, but analysing his passing game against Liverpool, the best pressing team in the world, is hardly fair. Just about every other defender in the league and champions league, has struggled to stay composed against Liverpool this season. 

Mings deserves way more respect from our fanbase. 

• Like 2

He’s a warrior and our captain and we have and are still getting incredible value out of him (on and off the pitch).

I’ve joked in the last 24 hours on here but he’s still England’s best centre half right now. 

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Doesn’t that sum up our season? It feels like all our mistakes are punished and our opponents get lucky breaks regularly.  

Possibly although any lucky bounce of the ball we get is inevitably met with poor finishing!

Â