Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

29 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Don’t know if anyone else noticed but in the first half Gerrard had a massive go at Mings. We had a freekick just inside our half, which Mings passed side/backwards. Gerrard went ballistic at him for not playing forward. A few minutes later when play stopped for an injury, Mings went straight to Gerrard and appeared to be saying whats the problem and ‘having words’?

In view of the fact that Gerrard publicly raised the question of who should be captain next year, I don’t think he rates Mings and that he will move him on in the summer.

Yeah. It really wouldn't surprise me to see him move on in the summer.

I really don't see us getting anyone better. Despite his errors he does more good than bad imo.

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Nakamba won the second ball but the deflection hit Matip - so it’s just a horrid slice of luck 

Nope. This here was piss poor defending. The ball should have been cleared but they end up turning their backs to it. I know there was a high tackle but got to be braver.

Screenshot_20220511-115150_Twitter.jpg

10 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Love this guy, he's been absolutely amazing for us and is probably the best and most important defender we've had since probably Martin Laursen. 

Fans are looking for mistakes from this guy, people are full of confirmation bias. Mistakes happen, every defender makes them, even Van Dijk and Diaz have made plenty of mistakes this season. 

Granted, he isn't a great passer, but analysing his passing game against Liverpool, the best pressing team in the world, is hardly fair. Just about every other defender in the league and champions league, has struggled to stay composed against Liverpool this season. 

Mings deserves way more respect from our fanbase. 

he deserves to go somewhere he's appreciated IMO. any team outside the scum 6 would snap him up in a heartbeat and yet the slightest hint of an error and it's "move him on in the summer", totally ignoring all the great games he's had this season (which have far, far outweighed the bad) and as recently as the 3 games prior to last night he was one of the best players on the pitch

careful what you wish for folks...we can't attract better than him right now

do we need better if we want to get top 4? that's a debate for another day, when we're remotely close to it.

• Like 1

Definitely an error for the goal which was unfortunate but he has more than enough credit in the bank given his performances in recent months.

I appreciate what people are saying about if we're to reach "the next level" than his spot in the side should come under scrutiny, but to be honest there are extremely few players in the squad that does not apply to, and he certainly isn't a priority to upgrade on in that sense. He's been the best CB at the club since he's arrived, feels like there's a lot more pressing issues to address before replacing the guy that's largely held the defence together given how they've gotten on when he's not been there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Most goals come from a mistake somewhere in the process. Even our goal was essentially their defenders colliding and Alisson not pushing it away.

To get a centre half who doesn't make mistakes you're paying over £80m and even then you might get Harry Maguire.

Van Dijk, Rudiger, Dias, anyone else?

The list of CBs in the Prem who don't make mistakes is very, very short.

Dias has been very average in the champions league though. And in the euro’s he looked like Bambi, not the rock he is at Man City.

• Like 1

One thing with Mings (and this maybe is not a 'Mings thing')... I get frustrated watching us play the long 'out ball' which invariably gifts possession back to the opposition. My perception is that when Mings goes long (which more often than not he does), it tends to be either onto the defender's head or pretty aimless.

Like I say, that could be a coaching thing more than something for Mings to improve per se. Martinez's distribution also you could look at. But last night felt like we gave the ball back to them far too easily at times. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

One thing with Mings (and this maybe is not a 'Mings thing')... I get frustrated watching us play the long 'out ball' which invariably gifts possession back to the opposition. My perception is that when Mings goes long (which more often than not he does), it tends to be either onto the defender's head or pretty aimless.

Like I say, that could be a coaching thing more than something for Mings to improve per se. Martinez's distribution also you could look at. But last night felt like we gave the ball back to them far too easily at times. 

Especially noticeable last night, as Matip and VVD are two of the tallest defenders in the league, they won every hoof ball.

2 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

my hope would be that a better number 6 changes that, if there's a DMC stood 5 yards in front of him wide open and able to turn then it becomes a bigger problem, its part of the argument as to why we have luiz in there though, his defensive qualities arent the best but he should be taking the ball of the CBs, we have to get better at it and it starts the number 6s movement IMO

as it is its almost like mings can boot it further up the field than martinez so we play it short and let mings boot it rather than just take a goal kick

At first i blamed him for the goal.

However, if you rewatch the highlights, he's actually terribly unlucky.

The ball happened to land and trap right UNDER his foot at the worst time in the worst place ffs.

He's still frustratingly poor in the air for such a big, powerful lad though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He's still frustratingly poor in the air for such a big, powerful lad though.

If mane had scored that header I think I'd be more pissed off about that than the matip goal

He tries to play the man with his body rather than trying to play the ball, sometimes it works sometimes it goes badly wrong (vs Lukaku) 

1 hour ago, birdman said:

Nope. This here was piss poor defending. The ball should have been cleared but they end up turning their backs to it. I know there was a high tackle but got to be braver.

Screenshot_20220511-115150_Twitter.jpg

Yes that part is after the fluke deflection onto Matip and before Jota flies into Konsa. 

I've always been a Mings fan, and think Konsa needs to go first. However Mings, even if I think is a good player, is just so unlucky persistently that we cannot afford to keep him. Every time he makes a mistake it's a goal. It's better for him and us that he leaves in the summer. Sorry Tyrone.

56 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

I think it's an issue with the majority of the spine of the team not being hugely comfortable in terms of ball retention etc rather than any one specific player. As great as Martinez is, as you allude to his distribution is an aspect of his game that is probably a bit lacking at the highest level, then in terms of the centre backs Konsa is statistically among the worst in Europe in possession while both Chambers and Mings are to varying degrees in the middling range (Chambers more consistent, Mings more erratic at times but also more versatile in terms of being able to carry the ball I'd say). In midfield Luiz is probably the only one that's a natural at this as both McGinn and Ramsey are more so ball carriers that don't make many passes over the course of a game, and we all know the story with Nakamba.

Coaching can obviously help but I think it's also just a reality of our personnel that they aren't a group of players particularly suited to being a possession-based team that can easily play out from the back, so you end up in situations where Konsa is playing teammates into trouble or Mings has a lack of options so hits it into the channels for Watkins to chase down etc.

I like Mings and was so nice when I met him the night before the Burnley game (ended up staying at the same hotel as the team 😀).  He is also a competent defender as this level.

There is no world in which I want to see him moved on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I think it's an issue with the majority of the spine of the team not being hugely comfortable in terms of ball retention etc rather than any one specific player. As great as Martinez is, as you allude to his distribution is an aspect of his game that is probably a bit lacking at the highest level, then in terms of the centre backs Konsa is statistically among the worst in Europe in possession while both Chambers and Mings are to varying degrees in the middling range (Chambers more consistent, Mings more erratic at times but also more versatile in terms of being able to carry the ball I'd say). In midfield Luiz is probably the only one that's a natural at this as both McGinn and Ramsey are more so ball carriers that don't make many passes over the course of a game, and we all know the story with Nakamba.

Coaching can obviously help but I think it's also just a reality of our personnel that they aren't a group of players particularly suited to being a possession-based team that can easily play out from the back, so you end up in situations where Konsa is playing teammates into trouble or Mings has a lack of options so hits it into the channels for Watkins to chase down etc.

Don't play out from the back then.

Or at least not the extent that we try too.

2 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Don’t know if anyone else noticed but in the first half Gerrard had a massive go at Mings. We had a freekick just inside our half, which Mings passed side/backwards. Gerrard went ballistic at him for not playing forward. A few minutes later when play stopped for an injury, Mings went straight to Gerrard and appeared to be saying whats the problem and ‘having words’?

In view of the fact that Gerrard publicly raised the question of who should be captain next year, I don’t think he rates Mings and that he will move him on in the summer.

I think it would be a massive statement of intent if he does move him on.  For me he's just doesn't have a proper defenders instinct.  Spends too much time standing off and dropping deep.  Yes, he's vocal, but there's more to defending than organizing and barking orders when the game is in front of you.  

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

I think it would be a massive statement of intent if he does move him on.  For me he's just doesn't have a proper defenders instinct.  Spends too much time standing off and dropping deep.  Yes, he's vocal, but there's more to defending than organizing and barking orders when the game is in front of you.  

Well he's a defender, where do you want him to be?

• Like 1

Â