Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

After looking at the rules it really is clear as mud and they seem to contradict themselves.

On one hand it says if the player challenges for the ball he's offside and on the other it says if the player receives the ball from an opponent who's deliberately played the ball he isn't offside.

Schrodinger's offside.

Vagueness of language. Laws should be concise and explicit in their language. What does ‘played‘ mean in this regard? Surely pass or clear deflection. He challenged Mings. Mings controls the ball and is challenged by the offside player. I’m dumbstruck.

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Let's put it this way.

If, under zero pressure from a ball coming towards him, Mings just hoofed it away, we'd all be saying 'TIME!!!' 'Don't just hoof it!' which is essentially what this situation is.

He has time, acres of space, aside from the quite obviously offside player behind. He either, reasonably, doesn't see Rodri, (because he's so far offside) or sees him and ignores him. (because he's so far offside)

The third option is 'safety first' but safety first doesn't come into consideration when there's no danger.

It isn't a mistake and those hounding him for it, either are just looking for a reason to do it, or don't understand the game.

Exactly! Even the law only allows it if he passes the ball to Rodri. He doesn't and is tackled. 

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Let's put it this way.

If, under zero pressure from a ball coming towards him, Mings just hoofed it away, we'd all be saying 'TIME!!!' 'Don't just hoof it!' which is essentially what this situation is.

He has time, acres of space, aside from the quite obviously offside player behind. He either, reasonably, doesn't see Rodri, (because he's so far offside) or sees him and ignores him. (because he's so far offside)

The third option is 'safety first' but safety first doesn't come into consideration when there's no danger.

It isn't a mistake and those hounding him for it, either are just looking for a reason to do it, or don't understand the game.

Yes on watching it again you are right. It wasn't a mistake. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Hause deserves a run of games

I love him, but he nowhere near the player Mings is.

Great in the air, but terrible at playing the ball forward, almost Clark esque in shit floated balls forward.

Mings stays and starts 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Mings is still one of the best we have but that goal was foolish and he’s got form for it. Especially those cutbacks when under pressure. You’re a central defender, just play the simple ball...

Bringing the ball here is literally the simplest option. What are the others? Heading it away? To who? City? Letting it run? That's more risky than bringing it down with nobody (legal) near him..

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's not because he didn't receive the ball - he took it by making the challenge, hence, offside. 

You're making an assumption on the interpretation of "received" though to not include from a challenge.

The fact the officials have doubled down on the position afterwards rather than admit a mistake just further muddies the water, they really need to produce a detailed explanation of why it wasn't offside.

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Let's put it this way.

Spot on mate and those who continue to criticise after such a great performance from Mings just shows how piss poor their football judgement is. They literally couldnt analyse a game of snakes and ladders. Simply ignore. 

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

You're making an assumption on the interpretation of "received" though to not include from a challenge.

The fact the officials have doubled down on the position afterwards rather than admit a mistake just further muddies the water, they really need to produce a detailed explanation of why it wasn't offside.

It's not an assumption - receiving is passive. If I go out and steal a car, I can't argue that I'm 'receiving' it, can I?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Bringing the ball here is literally the simplest option. What are the others? Heading it away? To who? City? Letting it run? That's more risky than bringing it down with nobody (legal) near him..

He looked over his shoulder before he chested it down. Instead of hacking it clear he tried to turn the player and we paid the price.

Just now, LondonLax said:

He looked over his shoulder before he chested it down. Instead of hacking it clear he tried to turn the player and we paid the price.

He looked over his shoulder at an offside player, knowing that if said player tackled him he would be called offside.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

You know what they say about assumptions...

To be fair, when that assumption is based on that situation getting called offside every other time it has ever happened, i can see why he made it...

23 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Let's put it this way.

Exactly , you even see Mings take a glance to his right before making the decision to control it as there isn’t a threat of a legit Man City player.

he can be sloppy at times but this isn’t one to pin on Mings , it’s solely on the ref and var officials 

9 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's not an assumption - receiving is passive. If I go out and steal a car, I can't argue that I'm 'receiving' it, can I?

No I agree with your logic. But it quite clearly is an assumption as the Premier League have interpreted it differently have they not?

Â