January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

With quality a given, I would like to see some grit, pace & energy and graft, some dogged determination. More McGinn/Milner/Delph types. Maupay for me is like this, Leeds had a few. In fairness to Barry in the recent Baggies match, he still had that 100% fight in him.

How did Leroy Fer do today?  (missed penalty aside). 

Still a decent age - though assume his stock might have fallen, as you'd think he'd have been one of the few Swansea players to attract bids last summer. 

Was very highly rated in Holland and almost joined Everton for a decent fee a few years back until a medical scuppered that one.  Ended up making moves to Norwich and QPR and looked decent in the top flight any time I have seen him. 

Would give us more of a physical presence in the centre of the park and his height would be welcome defending set pieces. Which has been a weakness for us this year. I'd sooner see him doing the legwork in midfield rather than Whelan or Hourihane anyroad. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

Still a decent age - though assume his stock might have fallen, as you'd think he'd have been one of the few Swansea players to attract bids last summer. 

Was very highly rated in Holland and almost joined Everton for a decent fee a few years back until a medical scuppered that one.  Ended up making moves to Norwich and QPR and looked decent in the top flight any time I have seen him. 

Would give us more of a physical presence in the centre of the park and his height would be welcome defending set pieces. Which has been a weakness for us this year. I'd sooner see him doing the legwork in midfield rather than Whelan or Hourihane anyroad. 

Good shout, I’d take him definitely, always rated him

59 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’d love to see Ezri Konsa come in from Brentford, he’s a centre back. Smith signed him for Brentford from Charlton, I was very impressed by Konsa at Villa Park earlier this season, he has all the attributesj

Yeah he is a player I like the look of, a lot of potential.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yeah he is a player I like the look of, a lot of potential.

Konsa has been linked with a move to Arsenal, I know nowt about him, but he does seem to be attracting attention. Smith should know all about him and what makes him tick. He’s 21, so fits the profile of what I think we’re trying to build. 

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Konsa would cost too much. We need to be a step ahead of the game and get players like this before they become 'well known'. 

The good thing is smith found him so I'm hopefulhe can find some more. He did say he likes to bargain shop so is would not be suprised if we look at the lower leagues

42 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Konsa would cost too much. We need to be a step ahead of the game and get players like this before they become 'well known'. 

I think in the current market it is impossible to know how much a player would cost.

I also think it is hard to know what we would or wouldn’t spend on a player under the new owners.

They just spent a pretty large amount on a keeper but it remains to be seen if that is the bulk of the budget and seen as a special requirement or if it is a sign of things to come.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I think in the current market it is impossible to know how much a player would cost.

I also think it is hard to know what we would or wouldn’t spend on a player under the new owners.

They just spent a pretty large amount on a keeper but it remains to be seen if that is the bulk of the budget and seen as a special requirement or if it is a sign of things to come.

If they can hold out fr £12m+ for Hogan, I'd imagine Konsa, who is younger, a much better talent and courted by bigger clubs than those who looked at Hogan would be at least £15m. I'd be utterly amazed if we signed a player for that sort of fee again whilst we're at this level.

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If they can hold out fr £12m+ for Hogan, I'd imagine Konsa, who is younger, a much better talent and courted by bigger clubs than those who looked at Hogan would be at least £15m. I'd be utterly amazed if we signed a player for that sort of fee again whilst we're at this level.

Re: 12m for Hogan, I think the saying goes along the lines of "a player is worth whatever some mug will pay for them".

• Like 1

It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility to see Jack leave in January, Levy will have to spend a few quid in an effort to convince his manager not to head up to Manchester. 

In which case we could have a fair few ££ to spend in January. 

33 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Goal scorers come at a premium and the price for Hogan was driven by Premier League interest from West Ham.

I’m not saying they would sell him cheap, that they would sell him at all or that we are even in for him. Im just saying it’s impossible to say he would be out of our price range.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility to see Jack leave in January, Levy will have to spend a few quid in an effort to convince his manager not to head up to Manchester. 

No chance in my humble opinion.

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I agree, I don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility to lose Jack, but I do feel it is unlikely. I should imagine that he'll be quite expensive. He has signed a new contract recently which I think is a sign that he is committed until at least the end of the season. 

It wouldn't be a particularly good time for us to sell, unless we had planned to do it all along. Maybe that is where the Kalinic money has come from.

We've seen it many times before, a team sells their biggest asset/'best player' and then go on to improve their team by strengthening several key areas. 

If we could attract players of Kalinic's calibre in other positions to replace Jack and strengthen the  squad then I wouldn't be against selling him for a big fee. 

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No chance in my humble opinion.

Good. I know it's a very small sample size but the last few weeks have demonstrated how important Jack is. He's the glue that holds it all together. 

As i said yesterday both Konsa & Mepham would cost over £15million each. That's how highly rated they are by Brentford

Bournemouth & Leicester both bid in August for Mepham. Bournemouth bid £10mil which was turned down

Konsa is being eyed up by Arsenal and they will want big money for him as they paid around £2.8million for him in the summer from Charlton.

5 hours ago, HolteExile said:

Wilfred Bony missed the penalty so should have no bearing on Fer's performance........

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Wilfred Bony missed the penalty so should have no bearing on Fer's performance........

Going to Man City ruined Bony. Suppose he can't complain on £100k a week at Swansea and done diddy-squat this season

An Aussie team i know are interested in him but doubt they will be paying him £100k a week. Not sustainable 

Shame as was a good player at one point (specially in Czech, Holland and when he went to Swansea)

Bet Swansea can't wait get rid of him

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1