Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Smith had the same formation week on week out at Walsall, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt, Smith had the same formation week in week out at Brentford, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn’t, Smith has had the same formation here, sometimes it has worked sometimes it hasn’t 

Problem he has now is he is in the Premier league and winging it by hook or crook doesn’t work anymore.

Busted flush with no plan B 

Time to go back to work he championship/league 1 where he belongs, he has no clue what so ever 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I think it’s a bit harsh to say he was holding them back as they sold so many players each summer.

There is an argument though that a rigid system manager  works much better in a settled team eg Klopp adding one or two a year until he nailed it whereas if you’re chopping and changing players you probably need to be a bit more pragmatic and flexible with tactics.

Probably naive of me but I’m actually not worried about next year if he’s still manager and we stay up...it’s just the staying up this year that’s the issue.

but what Nous....He sells Coutinho and buys Van Dijk......how many on here would be happy with that? If it was us.

Total Savvy.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

Smith had the same formation week on week out at Walsall, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt, Smith had the same formation week in week out at Brentford, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn’t, Smith has had the same formation here, sometimes it has worked sometimes it hasn’t 

Problem he has now is he is in the Premier league and winging it by hook or crook doesn’t work anymore.

Busted flush with no plan B 

Time to go back to work he championship/league 1 where he belongs, he has no clue what so ever 

Its a worrying claim....that can't be ignored.

sadly, the last bit might be his plan, in a convoluted way.

It will be interesting to see how the owners react......I think this is a watershed moment.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Mike....I would love for someone to have a word in his ear......I really don't want him to be sacked, but I really don't want to go down either.

He reminds me of Theresa May, stubborn in thinking they are right, when in actual fact they are not.

Dean must have some Savvy....but he is NOT at Brentford now and he needs to find a skill set to rally this team and instil some spunk in them.....He must realise that Watfords and Sheff Utd's have something we don't , so do Brighton and Crystal Palace ,and work on it...Everton look like they have woke up too.

Personally, I fear, he hasn't got the right players for a scrap.....But the club bloody signed them......but he could at least show an appreciation of what is required, even if its out of his control......keep moaning about decisions is not the answer either.

I nearly laughed when Jack was shoved off the ball going for a header, but its not bloomin' funny and it happens with most of them.....this pussy play has to stop, but it has been going on unchecked for too long....it was still there under Bruce too, which really surprised me.

Our club needs to shape up in this window and bring players in WHO WILL make a difference......and a real difference in our approach......We can play attractive stuff, when we are safe.

It is still doable....but the people that matter have to recognise our failings and try to address them.

It is hard to disagree with much of what you say but ultimately if the board stick with him (obviously we have no say in it) someone at the club must recognize that we need 2/3 more players who up for the fight. If DS is still here over the next 7 days they must get players in. Haven’t got a clue who, but, imho we need as a minimum a striker, a DM, and a LB

• Like 1

If he's lost the players then there's no turning back and nothing that can be done about it unfortunately 🧐. Hopefully they show against Burnley that that's not the case and come away with a good win.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

It is hard to disagree with much of what you say but ultimately if the board stick with him (obviously we have no say in it) someone at the club must recognize that we need 2/3 more players who up for the fight. If DS is still here over the next 7 days they must get players in. Haven’t got a clue who, but, imho we need as a minimum a striker, a DM, and a LB

I also think we need a winger, who can do what it says on the tin.

I can only see this being Loans in the main

4 minutes ago, useless said:

If he's lost the players then there's no turning back and nothing that can be done about it unfortunately 🧐. Hopefully they show against Burnley that that's not the case and come away with a good win.

I hope its not the case, but I just can't see where he is suddenly going get this conviction and aggression from them.

Burnley away is just about one of the worst tests for us in this present plight.

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thats how you want to debate. Exactly the response i was expecting if honest 

No, you completely went off on a tangent. You appear to be blaming Smith’s managerial inability on the fact we have signed foreign players which quite frankly is a lame excuse. He’s not up to the task at hand  plain and simple. 

7 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Would you have Andre Green back? 

No.

I just can't see what he offers and yet I had high hopes for him to succeed.... a perfect physical specimen, like Wes, not far off what Traore is, poorly coached, or injuries have just curtailed him i suspect.....too many chances to carve out a career that is now a damp squib....I really don't know what his problem is, Self Belief, I would suspect.

But we need players with Heart and desire and character to impose themselves like Ings and Vardy.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, jim said:

No, you completely went off on a tangent. You appear to be blaming Smith’s managerial inability on the fact we have signed foreign players which quite frankly is a lame excuse. He’s not up to the task at hand  plain and simple. 

Nope i never said that. I said its easier for Sheff United players to understand tactical instructions than us signing 5/6 players from abroad. Makes it harder when dont know the language. 

Look at 2015/16 we did the same though if we mixed our British players now with the foreign signings that season we would have a cracking team

7 minutes ago, useless said:

We must fight them with skill, pace, power and whole lot of believe, if we do that we can get a win, and January can herald a new beginning.

We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in Burnley, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender

:D

Edited by sne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Would you have Andre Green back? 

Not on ability but I think he offers bit more tactical intelligence compared Trezeguet and a good work rate. 

Look at his cross vs Sheff Wednesday in April for I think a Tammy goal. I dont see any of our wingers doing that

If anyone thinks green would improve us.

The green who was pretty tosh in the championship.

The green who cant get in the PNE side.

The green who people complained couldn't beat a post.

Then......ok.......

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not on ability but I think he offers bit more tactical intelligence compared Trezeguet and a good work rate. 

Look at his cross vs Sheff Wednesday in April for I think a Tammy goal. I dont see any of our wingers doing that

No, He can't be much worse....but i think we are clutching at straws, when Preston see no value.

I think we are blinded by the light, at times.

3 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Scandalous, it’s Mike Bassett numbers. I didn’t think he was out of his depth more just in panic mode himself but you can’t defend that sort out statistical output. 

In fairness, and this is coming from one of the more vocal Anti-Smith guys, we probably had the worst away run of games in the first half of the PL of any team in the league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Scandalous, it’s Mike Bassett numbers. I didn’t think he was out of his depth more just in panic mode himself but you can’t defend that sort out statistical output. 

In those 10 we've played Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Man City and Wolves. I honestly didn't expect us to win any of those.

Of the other 4 we were cheated out of a point against Palace, we beat Norwich 5-1, we lost to an inform Sheffield United  and then we had yesterday's woeful performance.

It's clearly poor overall but it should be looked at in the context of who we have played. No doubt we need to improve big time though!

Despite everything, we're still well in touch, not even close to being cut adrift.

I have more faith in Smith than the players. However we're going to be stuck with these crap players for the next 2/3/4 years FFS.

Smith having a go at then in public is just trying to raise something I think. Some effort.

Â