Dean Smith

Demitri_C

41 minutes ago, jim said:

Are our players any worse than Sheffield United’s who currently sit eighth?

God yes! Miles worse most of them.

You think Wes would score 25 goals in any league like Sharp did last season? And he's a bench warmer for Blades.

You think Hourihane can pass the ball like Norwood?

Elmo or Targett have the energy of Stevens and Baldock?

We've got players that have appeared in probably 15+ matches absolutely not good enough.

The summer was the chance to recruit well. Not only could we have bought better, we could have bought better for two thirds of what we spent.

Smith hasn't helped himself by only ever having one system to play with. This 4231 clearly isn't something they've been prepared for. It's been forced onto us because teams were flying through the middle of the pitch at us every match.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Keep in mind, I'm absolutely no Brentford fan so the context may make a world of difference.

But just from doing a bit of research, the year before Smith came in they finished 5th. The years he was there they finished 9th, 10th and 9th and 11th(if you were to count the season he left for us). And this season, they're now 3rd in the table so far.

It really does seem like he was holding them back at first glancce imo. I guess you could also interpret it as him leaving a good legacy for his successors too. Really depends on how you want to look at it. Makes me question this mythical Brentford system that so many praise.

I think it’s a bit harsh to say he was holding them back as they sold so many players each summer.

There is an argument though that a rigid system manager  works much better in a settled team eg Klopp adding one or two a year until he nailed it whereas if you’re chopping and changing players you probably need to be a bit more pragmatic and flexible with tactics.

Probably naive of me but I’m actually not worried about next year if he’s still manager and we stay up...it’s just the staying up this year that’s the issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

hypothetical time. Villa go down but win the Carabao Cup. I think that would be actually a good season. Cant think of many promoted teams winning silverware in first season in top flight

I remember when we got promoted from the old division2.We came up with Manchester United and Norwich.The following season we beat Norwich 1-0 in the League cup,Goal scored by Brian Little,I think

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Probably naive of me but I’m actually not worried about next year if he’s still manager and we stay up...it’s just the staying up this year that’s the issue.

Exactly how I feel I think. Given time I think we would/will have a good system with good players. The question is just what happens in the meantime.

37 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I think it’s a bit harsh to say he was holding them back as they sold so many players each summer.

There is an argument though that a rigid system manager  works much better in a settled team eg Klopp adding one or two a year until he nailed it whereas if you’re chopping and changing players you probably need to be a bit more pragmatic and flexible with tactics.

Yes it is.

I am not convinced Dean has the right skill set for a relegation battle.....I hear he says's he loves it, well what a statement of denial.....I think he is a top half of the table man, not a bottom half.

You have to be a very special manager to be able to do both......Deans teams lack all the ingredients for a scrap, oh they will play football all day long if you let them.....Deans teams lack conviction and Aggression.

I really don't know how he is going to get out of this, because right now we look the worst bunch in the league.

I am equally not convinced he will sign any players in January that are comfortable with this scenario either.....It will be the same types, where he  thinks we can score our way out of trouble.....We won't, trust me.

43 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I remember when we got promoted from the old division2.We came up with Manchester United and Norwich.The following season we beat Norwich 1-0 in the League cup,Goal scored by Brian Little,I think

Ray Graydon from penalty rebound 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yes it is.

I am not convinced Dean has the right skill set for a relegation battle.....I hear he says's he loves it, well what a statement of denial.....I think he is a top half of the table man, not a bottom half.

You have to be a very special manager to be able to do both......Deans teams lack all the ingredients for a scrap, oh they will play football all day long if you let them.....Deans teams lack conviction and Aggression.

I really don't know how he is going to get out of this, because right now we look the worst bunch in the league.

I am equally not convinced he will sign any players in January that are comfortable with this scenario either.....It will be the same types, where he  thinks we can score our way out of trouble.....We won't, trust me.

The more worrying thing for me, is that DS has stated they lack commitment. If he is staying, I think we will see a few loan players with PL experience and maybe a key signing. Whether he is or not we need to recruit PL players for the relegation fight ahead. This bunch will not get keep us up and hopefully the board realize that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Now there was a player, who just simplistically targeted the back post  during his time with us and scored loads of goals.

None of our front men have a pattern or an identity they can perfect, (jack of all trades and a master of none).....just a gaggle of geese.

just no intelligence, with our lot.

24 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I have a funny story about that very moment. A mate and I, planning to go the West End after the final, were dressed in our two tone suits. I had on a new pair of Italian shoes with Cuban heels (it was 1975!). When Grayson hit the post and then banged in the rebound, I jumped up, moving a couple of yards down the terrace and crashed down as one of the heels came off! Seconds later I saw someone pick it up and threw it God knows where! Despite looking for it after the game, I couldn’t find it, so had to limp back to the hotel and don a pair of white pumps. None of the clubs would let me in with them on! How times have changed, I was ahead on my time, flash suit and white trainers!! Met Ray some years later and he offered to buy me a new pair of shoes 😂😂

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

To understand tactical changes they need to know the language. Its not a computer game

How silly of me. It’s a good job there are hardly any foreign players in the league then, else everyone would have the same problem as us.

I can’t believe we’ve been so stupid in signing foreign players that can’t interpret Smith’s wonderball tactics. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

To understand tactical changes they need to know the language. Its not a computer game

*Double post*

Edited by jim

2 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

The more worrying thing for me, is that DS has stated they lack commitment. If he is staying, I think we will see a few loan players with PL experience and maybe a key signing. Whether he is or not we need to recruit PL players for the relegation fight ahead. This bunch will not get keep us up and hopefully the board realize that. 

Mike....I would love for someone to have a word in his ear......I really don't want him to be sacked, but I really don't want to go down either.

He reminds me of Theresa May, stubborn in thinking they are right, when in actual fact they are not.

Dean must have some Savvy....but he is NOT at Brentford now and he needs to find a skill set to rally this team and instil some spunk in them.....He must realise that Watfords and Sheff Utd's have something we don't , so do Brighton and Crystal Palace ,and work on it...Everton look like they have woke up too.

Personally, I fear, he hasn't got the right players for a scrap.....But the club bloody signed them......but he could at least show an appreciation of what is required, even if its out of his control......keep moaning about decisions is not the answer either.

I nearly laughed when Jack was shoved off the ball going for a header, but its not bloomin' funny and it happens with most of them.....this pussy play has to stop, but it has been going on unchecked for too long....it was still there under Bruce too, which really surprised me.

Our club needs to shape up in this window and bring players in WHO WILL make a difference......and a real difference in our approach......We can play attractive stuff, when we are safe.

It is still doable....but the people that matter have to recognise our failings and try to address them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jim said:

How silly of me. It’s a good job there are hardly any foreign players in the league then, else everyone would have the same problem as us.

I can’t believe we’ve been so stupid in signing foreign players that can’t interpret Smith’s wonderball tactics. 

Yes because all foreign players are automatically brilliant. Henry, Pires had poor 1st seasons with a French speaking manager. Tevez, Mascherano looked lije pub players at West Ham. Shevchenko was awesome at Chelsea I suppose. 

They are humans not AI

I'll repeat myself, Norwich ain't got the players, but look how they play, with organisation. Smith's team is a mess, even the commentator yesterday wondered what the hell our plan was second half. Bringing Kodj on at 3-0 was ludicrous. We will be better with few loans, but will look much better with a new manager.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Yes because all foreign players are automatically brilliant. Henry, Pires had poor 1st seasons with a French speaking manager. Tevez, Mascherano looked lije pub players at West Ham. Shevchenko was awesome at Chelsea I suppose. 

They are humans not AI

What are you blithering on about? 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

God yes! Miles worse most of them.

You think Wes would score 25 goals in any league like Sharp did last season? And he's a bench warmer for Blades.

You think Hourihane can pass the ball like Norwood?

Elmo or Targett have the energy of Stevens and Baldock?

We've got players that have appeared in probably 15+ matches absolutely not good enough.

The summer was the chance to recruit well. Not only could we have bought better, we could have bought better for two thirds of what we spent.

Smith hasn't helped himself by only ever having one system to play with. This 4231 clearly isn't something they've been prepared for. It's been forced onto us because teams were flying through the middle of the pitch at us every match.

but you are right.....How much did all SU players cost?

They just have a better idea of who and what they are looking for as a blend.

Target at 14 mill was an outrage.

Â