Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

He needs better players to be certain of a safe campaign, but he doesn’t need better players to put up a decent fight against the other 10 sides in the bottom half.

Well I thought that too to begin with, but AEG, Jota, Lansbury, Hause, Taylor, Elmo, (dare I say Wes) - to name a few, are not up to scratch, and with injuries we're looking very bare - feels like we've lost 2 of our 3 captains with Mings and McGinn gone. 

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

horrible? more drama

We nearly didnt have a club 18 months ago or did your ego forget that

It would still be a poor season. If you're comparing everything to the fact that we almost didn't have a club 18 months ago then finishing rock bottom wouldn't be considered that bad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Well I thought that too to begin with, but AEG, Jota, Lansbury, Hause, Taylor, Elmo, (dare I say Wes) - to name a few, are not up to scratch, and with injuries we're looking very bare - feels like we've lost 2 of our 3 captains with Mings and McGinn gone. 

TBF Mings and McGinn were both struggling before the recent fixtures

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

It would still be a poor season. If you're comparing everything to the fact that we almost didn't have a club 18 months ago then finishing rock bottom wouldn't be considered that bad.

Would be disappointing season yes but 18 months ago I expected us to go like Sunderland. This is a **** bonus season

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Well some of those players are cover, and not many sides around us have plenty quality in their second 11 either.

And the ball players in that list need a base.

2 of our 3 Captains out, yes....it’s relevant......but...I used to captain sides, there is definitely a big difference being a good captain, a leader, than being a foot soldier.....but being a foot soldier doesn’t mean you are absolved from showing the same traits as a captain. Those in the side need to contribute more.

I didn't expect to be promoted last season but we did.

We needed to spend last year and rebuild sensibly and wisely . This hasn't happened, not sure what say DS  has on signings but it hasn't been good enough.

The issue is how we utilise coach the players he has at his disposal , this is where we are falling down, Relegation would be a massive blow again to this club and not one the fans should want for the sake of loyalty to the manger who got us promoted . Strategy i don't see one , our strategy should be stay in the league at all  reasonable cost . I don't think (IMO) DS is capable of achieving this so any more money placed in his lap would be a backward step

100% hope I'm wrong !!!   

27 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think he needs better players for this league. 

Are our players any worse than Sheffield United’s who currently sit eighth?

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

I don't blame Watford at all for playing on, it was a bit of a freak. I hope Targett's injury really was bad enough for him to stay down at a crucial moment like that though.

I saw Targett go off injured at Crewe when he was having a lousy game. It was a hamstring injury, apparently, but cleared up,relatively quickly.

Recall him going off at Wolves when we were struggling. It was concussion.

I’m resisting putting 2 and 2 together....

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Yeah, but our relegation rivals got 6 points in return. Its not really the same as if it were just 3 draws, because then we would only have gifted them 3 points, not that getting 3 draws was all that acceptable either considering they were pretty much the 3 easiest teams to beat in the league.

Norwich and Bournemouth got 1 point from the last 3 , Southampton and Watford 6, Brighton and West Ham 3 . 

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

Norwich and Bournemouth got 1 point from the last 3 , Southampton and Watford 6, Brighton and West Ham 3 . 

I reckon none of those teams were facing the bottom 3 of the premier league at the time of the match were they?

Edited by Laughable Chimp

4 minutes ago, jim said:

probably they also have a system they build up with a manager now in his 4th season which people are also ignoring

6 minutes ago, jim said:

I don't believe they are, but they have a ridged style of play .

they defend as a team from back to front , people will no doubt say the manager has had more time to develop the team, but how long do you need to ask midfielders to run back and support the defence. Basics basics  that's not what were doing !!  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jim said:

Wilder has been at Sheffield United three and a half years. It’s entirely his team, coached over multiple seasons to play in his way. Last season they were promoted at a canter, 13 points ahead of us.

Whether or not you think Smith is capable of developing that, it’s an entirely different scenario to taking over Steve Bruce’s team halfway through a season, scrapping to get them up against the odds then having one transfer window to turn over a big chunk of the squad.

I am sure the board, like all clubs these days, are looking around at options. If they find one they think will do better than Smith they may well try to bring them in. That’s the game. But if anyone is seeing his time at the club so far as unsuccessful because Sheffield United have a better team right now I just don’t get that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

They all have good and bad form , were in the worst form and we are still not bottom, it's not the time to be weak willed. Pull together support the management team and the players and have a winge on Villa Talk . UTV 

• Like 1

Â