Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not really rocket science. For a long time now the only straight up alternative has been Kodjia. Deano probably don't rate him. And I agree.

I dont rate Kodja very high either but he has probably scored more goals in the league cup games than Wes has all season.Not only that but how many more games do you think Wes should get before we start using him off the bench?

10 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Even so you must admit Dean hasn't had a whole load of other options with Davis being injured and Kodjia not always being fit or questions as to whether he works hard enough for the team.  For what it's worth I'd have started Kodjia against Southampton at least but Wes did put in a good shift yesterday imo.  The problem was not signing another striker which I don't really put the blame at Dean's door.

Tell you what.With the game time Kodja has been getting,I wouldent be suprised if he asked to go which means we will have to sign 2 strikers in January.

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I dont rate Kodja very high either but he has probably scored more goals in the league cup games than Wes has all season.

He hasn't. This is so easy to check

• Like 2

Dean needs to be clever today and set us up correctly, this will tell me if he’s the right man for us. We need to be hard to beat today if we can’t win then don’t lose. A point will be a good result considering. Keep us away from them and in touch with the pack.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2019 at 17:34, lexicon said:

The whole point of Brentford is being a club that doesn't live or die by the manager/head coach - it's more of a testament to their system than this d-bag cheapshot move at DS.

That’s correct,I would add we spent over 30 mill on new recruits this season loads more than Smith ever had.Our strongest starting line up this season only includes 4 players from Deans time at the club.Wish fans would just chill and give players and coaches time and support for example after Maupay was sold and Watkins replaced him a lot of our fans moaned”he’s not a centre forward”few months back some fans were chanting “sacked in the morning “towards Thomas Frank when we were 0 2 down a game we eventually won 3 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He hasn't. This is so easy to check

I must admit,I didnt check,I thought that as we are in the semi we must have scored a few goals.Tell you what I did check though.I see that Wesley has scored 4 goals in 19 starts ( 2 of them were in one game,Norwich) At this rate he might score another 4 between now and the end of the season.

Answer me one simple question.Why does DS keep starting him when he has only scored in 3 games out of 19 ?

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I must admit,I didnt check,I thought that as we are in the semi we must have scored a few goals.Tell you what I did check though.I see that Wesley has scored 4 goals in 19 starts ( 2 of them were in one game,Norwich) At this rate he might score another 4 between now and the end of the season.

Answer me one simple question.Why does DS keep starting him when he has only scored in 3 games out of 19 ?

Because we have nobody else

• Like 1

Hindsight and all that but it's a shame we turned down £9m or was it £7m for Kodjia a month or 2 back since we didn't intend to use him.

Those short little cameos and that cup game could have been done by any random midfielder or youth attacker. 

Having a guy on the bench on £45k/w who is obviously not rated is a waste, and that £7m would have been handy now in January.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Kodjia isn't good enough for the Prem either, despite your made up stats.

I think you're probably right. I really don't think he'd do much worse though, I'd at least be regularly giving him a run out as a sub for 20 minutes to see if he could prove people wrong. As it is, I expect we'll see Wes play 90 minutes again, I hope the crowd goes wild if he takes a shot this game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brentfordnylons said:

That’s correct,I would add we spent over 30 mill on new recruits this season loads more than Smith ever had.Our strongest starting line up this season only includes 4 players from Deans time at the club.Wish fans would just chill and give players and coaches time and support for example after Maupay was sold and Watkins replaced him a lot of our fans moaned”he’s not a centre forward”few months back some fans were chanting “sacked in the morning “towards Thomas Frank when we were 0 2 down a game we eventually won 3 2.

But you seem to have improved your defense a lot after Smith left.

Will give you a much better chance making it into the top 6.

43 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think you're probably right. I really don't think he'd do much worse though, I'd at least be regularly giving him a run out as a sub for 20 minutes to see if he could prove people wrong. As it is, I expect we'll see Wes play 90 minutes again, I hope the crowd goes wild if he takes a shot this game.

Maybe. I'm not averse to giving Kodjia a try. I don't rate Wesley at all.

My post wasn't really a defence of Wesley. It was just an attempt to not big up Kodjia who hasn't shown anything to suggest he's any better

• Like 1

On 27/12/2019 at 13:02, villabromsgrove said:

Dean said after the match that he felt the need to play a more defensive team against the team that are now bottom of the Premier League. We didn't deserve three points, but we got lucky and won against yet another team that dominated us. If it wasn't for Heaton's inspired performance we could easily have been thrashed by a bunch of very average players who are obviously well coached.

I'm starting to doubt whether Smith is going to be able to adapt to the demands of the Premier. He persists with a non existent striker, two defensive central midfielders and an almost total reliance on "give the ball to Jack".

We've been shown well coached football recently while playing against the likes of Wolves, Leicester, Sheffield United, Southampton and now Norwich all making us look like a Sunday league side. Santo, Rodgers, Wilder, Hasenhuttl and Farke are all clearly competent coaches who are working hard and effectively on their respective team systems, while on match day the Villa players look like they have a bit of a kick about during the week.  

I'm relieved that we got the three points yesterday, but very concerned that Dean Smith still hasn't got to grips with Premier football. His comments and the evidence of my own eyes are telling me that he may not be the coach I thought he could be. 

My thoughts entirely....but I want it to work with him.

I have concerns that Dean focuses too much on talent and not enough on workrate and commitment.

It was interesting hearing why Wolves get very few injuries and It was said the training is so vigorous and arduous......the players are so fit.

I think Dean has a blind spot on this side of his job, he seems all talent, even when wingers are just loafing around, as long as they are talented, they are on the pitch.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But you seem to have improved your defense a lot after Smith left.

Will give you a much better chance making it into the top 6.

"I would add we spent over 30 mill on new recruits this season loads more than Smith ever had"

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

My thoughts entirely....but I want it to work with him.

I have concerns that Dean focuses too much on talent and not enough on workrate and commitment.

It was interesting hearing why Wolves get very few injuries and It was said the training is so vigorous and arduous......the players are so fit.

I think Dean has a blind spot on this side of his job, he seems all talent, even when wingers are just loafing around, as long as they are talented, they are on the pitch.

I mean we've been playing with Grealish on the flank for most of the season, so just one winger rather than 2. Guess we could have played entirely without conventional wingers but not many clubs do. And I'm not sure looking at our squad what the option would have been. I know you are not suggesting we should have dropped Grealish.

Also who are these hard working guys left out from our squad for the "talented" ones? 

Â