Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Smith got 140 mill in the summer, still can't sort out the defense.

And he only had to bring in 1 keeper 4 CB's, a RB and a LB as well as a bunch of midfielders, wingers and a attacker.

The squad we were left with going into the summer was ace!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

And he only had to bring in 1 keeper 4 CB's, a RB and a LB as well as a bunch of midfielders, wingers and a attacker.

Don't waste your time mate....every reasonable fan knows what had to be done in the summer except those who just look at £140m and think this should equal top half! 😒😒

I wish people would stop saying play Kodjia just because he is not Wesley. Is it beyond the comprehension of peoples minds to understand that given the same set of circumstances, things could actually be worse if Kodjia replaces Wesley? If anybody can provide a single reason, based upon 12 months of evidence, why Kodjia should start I will be amazed.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

He didn't have to.

Could have kept players like Elphick and Hutton. He choose not to.

Even players like Whelan and Adomah could have done a job for us this season. 

In hindsight we brought in way too many players. The rebuild should have happened slower.

• Haha 2

Lets not pretend that £140m isn't a reasonable amount of money, if Bruce was still here and he had spend that money on the same players and was doing the same job that Smith is doing now, people would be moaning about how he should be doing better with the money he's had.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

He didn't have to.

In hindsight we brought in way too many players. The rebuild should have happened slower.

You're truly jumping the shark now mate.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He didn't have to.

Image result for cant be serious meme

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

You're truly jumping the shark now mate.

Why? From what you've seen from Nakamba is he really that much better than Whelan? I would say no.

Would you say Trezeguet look better than Adomah? I'd say no.

Considering we are the team who concedes the most amount of goals on defensive set pieces would Jedinak not be a useful squad player?

Heck, i'd even take Hogan ahead of Wesley.

You really think i'm just taking the piss? I'm really not. Most of the players we brought in i think been truly awful.

It's all a matter of opinions of course.

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Lets not pretend that £140m isn't a reasonable amount of money, if Bruce was still here and he had spend that money on the same players and was doing the same job that Smith is doing now, people would be moaning about how he should be doing better with the money he's had.

Oh absolutely.

The money could and should have been better spent. Said from the start that the money we spent on Wesley, Targett and Trez seemed too much for example. Remains to be seen I guess.

But the short amount of time it had to be done in and the Herculean size of the task at hand likely forced their hand and gave them less time to properly scout certain players.

I absolutely do not feel that keeping Elphick, Hutton, Jedi, Adomah or Whelan was ever an option. 

9 minutes ago, useless said:

That’s true, 140m is a fairly sizeable amount to spend in 1 summer, but I think we are a year ahead of where our ‘plans’ thought we would be. By that I mean I presume we expected to push for promotion this year and some of the players we brought were planned for a year in championship to bed in and settle down, others were brought at ‘risk’ to try and keep us up with a slightly increased budget.

was always going to be tough, I think we are there or there abouts on where we can reasonably expect to be, but there is a lot to be said for the way a manager sets out his team and gets best out of what he has, Smith IMO has still to do that.

Edited by MattVillaPortsmouth
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

I absolutely do not feel that keeping Elphick, Hutton, Jedi, Adomah or Whelan was ever an option. 

They were all a part of the team that got promoted in the first place. Weren't they?

Considering Sheff Utd first eleven mainly contains of the eleven from last season it shows it's possible with desire and commitment.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They were all a part of the team that got promoted in the first place. Weren't they?

Considering Sheff Utd first eleven mainly contains of the eleven from last season it shows it's possible with desire and commitment.

Comparing our elderly fringe players to the core players from the squad that finished 13 points ahead of us in the table last season.

Bildresultat för not sure if serious

Just now, sne said:

Comparing our elderly fringe players to the core players from the squad that finished 13 points ahead of us in the table last season.

Bildresultat för not sure if serious

Did Whelan, Adomah and even Jedinak not play during our 10 game winning run?

I respect your opinion mate but i truly don't think some of the players we brought in are any better.

I wouldn't have kept any of the players that we let go, but to be fair since the time that Smith came in and until to the end of the season Sheffield United only gained three more points than us and that was with us resting the whole first eleven on the last day of the season. We were just as good as them once Smith came in, they've just benefitted this season from the fact that most of their players weren't old or on loan. In many ways we're still paying for the bad transfer policey under Round, Wyness and Bruce.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Did Whelan, Adomah and even Jedinak not play during our 10 game winning run?

I respect your opinion mate but i truly don't think some of the players we brought in are any better.

Fair enough. I think it would have been cruel on the to expose them to the PL at the current point of their careers. 

20 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I wish people would stop saying play Kodjia just because he is not Wesley. Is it beyond the comprehension of peoples minds to understand that given the same set of circumstances, things could actually be worse if Kodjia replaces Wesley? If anybody can provide a single reason, based upon 12 months of evidence, why Kodjia should start I will be amazed.

I thought Kodjia looked sharp albeit against Liverpool youths and Wes himself just looks like he could do with a break to me.  He's on a bit of a hiding to nothing playing up top on his own all the time.  It could be Kodjia and Wes up front if we went 3-5-2.

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But you have watched Sheffield Utd play this year haven’t you?

There success is based on a hard working physically intensive style of play.

Elphick,Hutton,Jedi,Whelan or Uncle Albert couldn’t have helped us in that regard.

The players we really needed to keep were Axel and Tammy.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Fair enough. I think it would have been cruel on the to expose them to the PL at the current point of their careers. 

Jedinak has played many games in PL. Never been quick. Same can be said about Whelan.

Adomah would have been a better option than Trezeguet imo.

Hutton i agree is straight out shit. But i think he was an important influence in the dressing room.

Â