Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

How I have come to the conclusion that we probably will get a worse manager if he is sacked now? First, we do not have the pulling power over great managers, meaning it will be the usual suspects coming in. I think we should see where we are when the season is over. Was really really optimistic and hoping for Villa to finish the season between 14th and 17th this season, and still believe I have seen enough to suggest we migh get such great results and not go down, even with a dip in form as we have seen.

Here is our latest 10 managers, which suggest our problems with pulling in the great managers. Thw two great managers were O'Neill and Houllier, and that was quite some time ago, when we were competing for top 4!

Steve Bruce
Roberto Di Matteo
Remi Garde
Tim Sherwood
Paul Lambert
Alex McLeish
Gerard Houllier
Martin O’Neill
David O’Leary
Graham Taylor

Can someone else remind him Doug Ellis is dead, an we don't have Randy Lerner anymore.

As for the highlighted sentence....................................What have you seen, a scrappy win against a relegation rival, cause we didn't have win for 9 games before.

I'm so trying to stay positive, but lets not be delusional here.

• Like 1

The only difference from the Southampton game was Heaton had an absolute worldie and we won.

Although we can be happy we won. Relying on Heaton keeping up performances like this isn't realistic nor a sustainable strategy.

Play like this and we'll go down, 100 %.

Nakamba is miles off the pace. Targett is a poor left back. Centre back pairing is changing every week. Wesley spends more time in  midfield than being in striker areas.

We aren't organized and defensively a mess. It's so easy creating chances against us.

To sum it up we're all over the place at the moment and something needs to change.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Im not the biggest Smith fan, but he got the tactics spot on today. Our defensive midfield did the job of getting stuck in. He made the full backs narrow so they couldn’t play through us. 

El-Ghazi has got to play on the left though as he is much better from this side. 

Smiths tactics.....we played one of the worst teams in the division....they hit the woodwork twice and Heaton made a string of world class saves....he continues to play a centre forward who is just awful. Norwich will rightly consider themselves unlucky. Glad of the points but not kidding myself that our ' messiah' continues to rely on luck to get a win not tactics

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The only difference from the Southampton game was Heaton had an absolute worldie and we won.

Although we can be happy we won. Relying on Heaton keeping up performances like this isn't realistic nor a sustainable strategy.

Play like this and we'll go down, 100 %.

Nakamba is miles off the pace. Targett is a poor left back. Centre back pairing is changing every week. Wesley spends more time in  midfield than being in striker areas.

We aren't organized and defensively a mess. It's so easy creating chances against us.

To sum it up we're all over the place at the moment and something needs to change.

There are some not needed comments on here directed at you chap, an it's cause there's no sentiment like others have on here, you say what you see.

Just wanna tell you, you are bang on here with your comments chap, bang on, just a life line today for him. A wins a win, but still saw the same faults and hardly no improvements. Team bonded at the end on the pitch was nice to see, Smith not included speaks volumes.

• Thanks 2

On another day with those tactics, we'd have been 3 or 4 down. It was luck, not his tactics. Norwich certainly had an off day, and they still cut through us with ease but just couldn't finish.

I'm stunned that people are taking that game as a positive. Good result, for sure, but the performance was appalling. We nicked that 

44 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Can someone else remind him Doug Ellis is dead, an we don't have Randy Lerner anymore.

As for the highlighted sentence....................................What have you seen, a scrappy win against a relegation rival, cause we didn't have win for 9 games before.

I'm so trying to stay positive, but lets not be delusional here.

I was thinking we would have a great season if we managed 40 points. We are halfay and not too far behind the numbers needed. And I think we have had some poor luck/been too naive in a couple of matches.

But we will see how the second part of the season plays out.

• Like 3

It's ok boys...just keep ignoring the facts presented before ye! 

You professed that we should have competed better against a team beaten 9-0 by Leicester but ignore the fact that Norwich drew with the same team away only last week.  Methinks some love to pick facts apart to suit their, what I believe to be, ridiculous opinions!

I present the second piece of evidence.  Apparently we only beat a Norwich team with 9 players out injured last time, despite the fact that said Norwich team only had 2 different starting players from the side which beat Man City!  Well today, they were full strength no?

You say about us with rose tinted glasses....maybe you should take off your brown tinted glasses!!

Good night all....gonna get pissed whilst eating roast pork with my familam! Live you all xx

Edited by New_Hope

46 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There are some not needed comments on here directed at you chap, an it's cause there's no sentiment like others have on here, you say what you see.

Just wanna tell you, you are bang on here with your comments chap, bang on, just a life line today for him. A wins a win, but still saw the same faults and hardly no improvements. Team bonded at the end on the pitch was nice to see, Smith not included speaks volumes.

You know he wanted him sacked last season? That's the guy you're praising 

56 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Smiths tactics.....we played one of the worst teams in the division....they hit the woodwork twice and Heaton made a string of world class saves....he continues to play a centre forward who is just awful. Norwich will rightly consider themselves unlucky. Glad of the points but not kidding myself that our ' messiah' continues to rely on luck to get a win not tactics

If you look through the history of some my posts you will see I am very critical of Dean Smith as up until now he has stuck religiously to a system which unfortunately we don't have the players for and his Brentford and Walsall teams pressed high and dominated the ball. Also when we got promoted I thought we should bring in Marcelo Gallardo but that’s a personal preference as I believe he is going to be successful. 

Had we played the same 4-3-3 and with the high full backs we have played all season our GD would have taken a hit. We would have conceded a-lot more than the 3/4 chances they had. 

So why didn't this happen? Because Dean Smith decided to change his tactics. Of course they had a few chances but we had good chances too. El-Ghazi , El-Mohamady clean through only to totally muck up his cross. 

We stifled their players so we actually limited them because of our formation and we pressed them much better than we have done. Norwich like cutting teams up with threaded passes through the middle and in between the lines ( against Liverpool they should have won). And then he tactically bought on Hourihane which was a tactical move and in the interim 15-20 minutes we dominated them. So credit where credit is due. 

Criticism is justified when we lose but credit is also justified when we win, especially as Dean Smith changed formation and also allowed Jack the freedom to play wherever he wanted today.  

Also Dean Smith definitely isn’t the Messiah. We need reinforcements and Smith needs to be more flexible but a-lot of credit is due to him today as he changed things for the betterment of the team.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jim said:

There was a moment in the first half that I mentioned in the match thread that says it all to me. We lost possession in Norwich’s half and Grealish just had his head down and was jogging in the centre circle, same for luiz and Nakamba with nobody closing down the advancing Norwich players.

There is something very wrong at the moment, and I believe it is down to the coaching. Yet again there was no fighting spirit from a vast majority of the players. 

You know what, a quote Deano made after one of our matches really really stuck in my head, because I thought....."I wonder what that really means", cant remember exactly which game but it was after 6 or 8 games in to the season maybe.

The quote was something like "the result is good because it will give the players confidence in the tactics we use, and show them we are on the right track"......or something very similar.

Now, that could mean something as basic as they are getting used to the tactics as they are all new players, but as soon as I heard it I wondered if that actually implied that the players didn't agree with the tactics, formation or whatever, after the way some of them appear to not be trying or putting their bodies on the line, I seriously wonder now whether it was actually an insight in to the players questioning the way they are asked to play? (Formation and tactics etc)

That in kind (if true), may have led to what we are seeing a bit now, such as apparently not trying or giving up?

Not saying it is or isn't, but that quote from deano really jumped out at me at the time.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

You know what, a quote Deano made after one of our matches really really stuck in my head, because I though....."I wonder what that really means", cant remember exactly which game but it was after 6 or 8 games in to the season maybe.

The quote was something like "the result is good because it will give the players confidence in the tactics we use, and show them we are on the right track"......or something very similar.

Now, that could mean something as basic as they are getting used to the tactics as they are all new players, but as soon as I heard it I wondered if that acruallynimplied the players didn't agree with the tactics, formation or whatever, after the way some of them appear to not be trying or putting their bodies on the line, I seriously wonder now whether it was actually an insight in to the players questioning the way they are asked to play? (Formation and tactics etc)

That in kind (if true), may have led to what we are seeing a bit now, such as apparently not trying or giving up?

Not saying it is or isn't, but that quote from deano really jumped out at me at the time.

You also think they like playing with a striker who is never in a scoring position. Things like this give players excuses when they lose a game.

Â