Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Even the Brentford fan confirms Smith defensively is woeful.

So how on earth is he the right choice long term? Any successful football team is build on a solid defensive foundation.

And you say aside from the last 3 games. So you are just gonna ignore those last 3 games? There is a possibility a bunch of the players has lost trust in Smith considering the lack of desire on the pitch.

it's funny that you imply that i am ignoring the last 3 games when you seem to be ignoring the 15 prior to that

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

We've literally just about crawled into the relegation zone. People need to chill out and not get OTT about a few bad results. 

I've seen more then enough this season to see that we've caused the best teams in this league big problems. 

If we sack Deano, and bring in another manager who loses 3 in a row, what then? You going to call for his head as well? 

Deano needs time. Only been in the job just over a year and has performed miracles. He's not going anywhere - even if we get relegated he'll be the man to bring us back up. You have to remember this is his first year in the PL as well as many of our players. 

This is rebuilding job - and we will be better in the second half of the season. 

I agree,we should keep playing Wesley as our main striker,Jack out wide instead of in the middle of the park and keep playing 433.Then we need to look at where we are in,say 3 years time.Im sure DS will have got it sorted by then. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

The 15 prior to that weren't great. We were conceding 20+ shots close to every game.

we're a newly promoted side...no one was expecting 'great'. we did as expected...competed in every game and picked up enough points to be above the relegation zone

and it wasnt close to every game of the 15...it was around 50% of them...and that that included spurs, arsenal, city, liverpool and chelsea. go back and check

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Dean lives and dies by the sword and I love that, however, he needs to tweak his thinking slightly and make us more difficult to beat vs the better teams...….. a point here and there will help come judgement day pal.

He needs to make us difficult to beat vs everyone.

It's  all well and good having narrow, hard fought, defeats and scarping the odd point against the top 8 sides, then playing open football against everyone else and getting battered.

At the moment, no team fears us. We need to score 3 or 4 just to get a point. Forget tweaks, he needs a massive overhaul IMO.

Not sure what the fascination is with moving Grealish back to midfield, three of our four wins this season have comes since he moved out wide,  he's scored five goals in twelve league games in that position and another two in the league cup, and has been getting widespread recognition for his performances.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

We've literally just about crawled into the relegation zone. People need to chill out and not get OTT about a few bad results. 

I've seen more then enough this season to see that we've caused the best teams in this league big problems. 

If we sack Deano, and bring in another manager who loses 3 in a row, what then? You going to call for his head as well? 

Deano needs time. Only been in the job just over a year and has performed miracles. He's not going anywhere - even if we get relegated he'll be the man to bring us back up. You have to remember this is his first year in the PL as well as many of our players. 

This is rebuilding job - and we will be better in the second half of the season. 

Results obviously matters, but the performances are alarming. Any and every team is tearing us to pieces and making us look open. Even Newcastle, as defensive and bad as they were, should've scored a couple despite rarely touching the ball for 90 minutes.

Right now we need organisation, Dean Smith simply doesn't give us that. He's better at getting the best out of a team who's generally expected to win. I have absolutely no faith he can sort out a team who's 50/50 at best in most games.

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'd rather us have a head coach who can have both attacking football and a good defensive structure.

Smith is not that coach. Wherever he's been he's had a piss poor defensive record

So you're basically saying Smith out? Lol ffs. 

• Haha 1

I agree, we need to be tougher to beat vs everyone, however, tearing it all up every window will not work in my option, I think most of them are good enough and a couple need more work,. I'd ship Trez and Wes in a heartbeat though and it wouldn't take much to get better in.

Had this weird thought just that Wesley's best position might be defensive mid but the big girl would need to toughen up a bit  🙂

• Haha 1

Looking the season to date I think we have been unfortunate to lose points in at least 6 matches. Some were obvious 3 pointers we threw away and some we got a draw. For instance Palace, Man Utd, West Ham and Liverpool. 

Now if you assume fortune averages itself out over a season, that's maybe 10 points at least we should have had, we don't have. We currently got 15 points. Assuming we draw Norwich, we got 16 points after half the season is done. Add some luck where we haven't had it and we are above 40 points. 

It's a lot of ifs and buts, but my point is simply it's a long season and we can still do this. It WILL be a scrap and relegation fight like nothing else, but the fight has to start in the stands as well by supporting the team no matter what. Booing helps **** all. 

Now some of you are more negative than me and that's fine. Everyone see's it differently, but hopefully you also can see that supporting the manager we got and that team is the only way forward. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The 15 prior to that weren't great. We were conceding 20+ shots close to every game.

Could really give two fcuks about that stat - could be misleading as well - give me stats from where the shots were taken from. I'm willing to bet money a big number of them would have been taken from outside the box.

Think some of us have to remember we are a newly promoted team who will concede shots. We still don't have the worst record in the league, btw. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I am saying Smith out and not scared to admit it.

Being 3-0 down at home to Southampton was the boiling point for me.

Yeah but you're wrong like 90% of the time. Look at all your posts from last season for example. You wanted Smith out this time last year and he went on to give us some of the best football we've played in a long time, a historic winning streak, feel good factor around the club and promotion - all this after he had a very bad patch at Xmas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jay.P.A said:

Yeah but you're wrong like 90% of the time. Look at all your posts from last season for example. You wanted Smith out this time last year and he went on to give us some of the best football we've played in a long time, a historic winning streak, feel good factor around the club and promotion - all this after he had a very bad patch at Xmas. 

This isn't the Championship mate.

Jack won't be able to bail him out of jail this time.

Regardless Smith has not shown wherever he's been that he is able to organize a defense. That alone makes him unfit for the task long term.

We do concede a lot of shots on goal (too many for my liking) but nobody outside of the top 8 teams in the division has scored more than us and that is with a poor (so far) striker in our team.

The key will (obviously) be getting better defensively but maintaining our ability to score at the other end.

Such a huge set of matches for us in the next few weeks. Let's hope Smith gets it right.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I am saying Smith out and not scared to admit it.

Being 3-0 down at home to Southampton was the boiling point for me.

No it wasnt. You said Smith Out for 12 months. Dont change your goalposts

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Could really give two fcuks about that stat - could be misleading as well - give me stats from where the shots were taken from. I'm willing to bet money a big number of them would have been taken from outside the box.

Think some of us have to remember we are a newly promoted team who will concede shots. We still don't have the worst record in the league, btw. 

XG conceded takes into account number of shots and the position of those shots. We are the worst in the league in terms of XG conceded. Yes, we arguably have a worse defence then Norwich.

Actually I thought we were 17th or something but the last 2 games have put us straight into last place. 

Mark my words people, we are due a hammering. We are eventually going to go up against a team who is absolutely on form and on fire, and we will be ripped apart. We are underscoring our expected goals conceded from free play by 8 goals, that's a massive difference and its suggesting that we have not conceded as many goals in free play that our defence should be conceding. Eventually, that shit catches up with you.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

39 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Because him, his team, and the top dogs at Villa are changing the whole culture of the club. I'd rather we have good attacking football  from the first team down to the youth team rather then defensive, dour crap. Don't want to sit back deep, win the ball and then hit it long to the channels or to our striker. That's not a long term strategy. Not for our club - not if we want to be back where we belong.

We are 'back where we belong' in the Premiership and that is where we should aspire to stay. Leicester are happy to play long balls to Vardy to run on to and they seem to be doing okay......I will grant you that our centre forward is not going to chase a through ball and crash the ball into the net, he's not going to 'hold it up 'either for that matter.

Â