Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I would try a 5-3-2. It would get more height in the team with the three centre backs, better suit Targett and Guilbert. It would also make us more compact in the middle whilst hopefully helping Wesley up front. 
Dean is just trying the same thing over and over and actually achieving very little. Earn your corn Deano and get the best out of what you have!

Smith needs to find a team and stick with it till the end of the season. This constant rotating just add confusion.

---------------------Heaton---------------------

Guilbert---Engels--Mings---------Targett

--------------------------Luiz------------------------------

-----------------McGinn--Hourihane----------------

El Ghazi--------Davis (until new striker)-Jack

Play this team in every Prem game. Get some consistency. It's our best chance of survival.

Optimally i would play 4-2-3-1 with Nakamba and Luiz as holding midfielders and play Jack as a 10. But we all know Smith won't change his formation so that's out of the picture.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

How about not playing him at all.

Players are clearly not trusting him. He needs to get out of the team, he's killing us.

We all get that you don’t like him. You don’t have to mention it in every post!

11 minutes ago, KHV said:

What would people genuinely think about Smith if we were to lose to Norwich,Southampton and Watford?

Would you still back him?

I've not backed Smith for a while, I just don't think he deserves to lose his job yet. I'm not sure a loss to all 3 would be enough for me to say that he does deserve to lose his job, but it would certainly bring me very close to it.

Like I said earlier in this thread, relegation is unacceptable. If we're a bit far from safety at any point in the season, he has to go. I'm not about to go watch another season of championship football with all our best players gone again, and ownership who will now very likely be more apprehensive about investing and a manager who''s just failed in his job the prior season. I think some people have fallen in the love with the idea of Dean Smith, boyhood Villa fan having helped us tremendously in bringing us up to the playoffs to be here in the long term and be a legend at the club, such that they are willing to let us go down with him just to give him another chance of fulfilling this fantasy.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Lets be honest. the pretty football is a myth. it was hit and hope yesturday. It has been for a while.

and so much for going to places and attacking. We were set up to contain and nick a point yesturday. No shots in the first half? He's turned cautious just like gregory did. The open expansive football well It's all PR spin. and most of the fans fall for it and refuse to question him cos "he supports Villa"

The subs are never genius tactical masterstrokes, it's always bottle job like for like winger for winger. shape never alters. If this winger can't beat his man I'll try another one. Yeah that'll work mate😀 the guy you left on the bench is so much better.

Compare this to rogers who picked a shape to destroy Villa one week then a different strategy for the next team. Brendan gets his ideas and gets players who can adapat weekily.

The only good thing that will come from this on a personal note is soon the people who have the away scheme locked down will soon decide to go to crazy golf on a saturday afternoon and I might be able to get a ticket to see Villa on the road.

Yes these so called "superfans"  who walked out after Grealish crashed his penalty against the bar. deserters.

9 aways last season not one this season. I'll never get to go to White heart lane at this rate. Ever!

13 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I wonder what the reaction would be from other "meaner" managers to our recruitment so far. Perhaps Smith is just too nice and willing to shoulder all the blame on himself for the recruitment, but its pretty clear to me that a significant amount of these players were not at all recruited to play Smith's system and Smith was instead forced to jam square pegs into round holes.

Its a point that can't be ignored.

22 minutes ago, KHV said:

What would people genuinely think about Smith if we were to lose to Norwich,Southampton and Watford?

As much as I love Smith I think a hypothetical run of defeats to those sides, or even 3 points from those fixtures, would make me seriously question him. Back him? Yes I still probably would but that would be based on sentiment I'd say.

I feel sorry for him in many someways, Wesley is a total lemon of a signing and very clearly not his. He clearly wanted Maupay but that was dissuaded by the club because of the fee and the fact we'd sign Wesley. With a more competent starting striker we'd be better off.

Then you have players like McGinn looking out of their depth and not delivering. It just underpins to me that we didn't quite get what was a monumental recruitment task right in the summer. 

2 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Lets be honest. the pretty football is a myth. it was hit and hope yesturday. It has been for a while.

and so much for going to places and attacking. We were set up to contain and nick a point yesturday. No shots in the first half? He's turned cautious just like gregory did. The open expansive football well It's all PR spin. and most of the fans fall for it and refuse to question him cos "he supports Villa"

The subs are never genius tactical masterstrokes, it's always bottle job like for like winger for winger. shape never alters. If this winger can't beat his man I'll try another one. Yeah that'll work mate😀 the guy you left on the bench is so much better.

Compare this to rogers who picked a shape to destroy Villa one week then a different strategy for the next team. Brendan gets his ideas and gets players who can adapat weekily.

The only good thing that will come from this on a personal note is soon the people who have the away scheme locked down will soon decide to go to crazy golf on a saturday afternoon and I might be able to get a ticket to see Villa on the road.

Yes these so called "superfans"  who walked out after Grealish crashed his penalty against the bar. deserters.

9 aways last season not one this season. I'll never get to go to White heart lane at this rate. Ever!

Hard to argue with any of that.....on your personal thing, those superfans might be doing you a favour right now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KHV said:

Not sure, depends on performances as it always does for me.

Lose those and we're down, Pep with Klopp as assistant isn't keeping us up.

Smith has shown he can get us out the championship. It was great to watch.

I don't know though, and I hope we don't have to find out.

His big weakness is refusing to ever change formation. The system isn't the worst ever but the front three are not good enough for what's being asked. It would protect the midfield if the ball would stick with them, they don't and the midfield gets overrun.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I've not backed Smith for a while, I just don't think he deserves to lose his job yet. I'm not sure a loss to all 3 would be enough for me to say that he does deserve to lose his job, but it would certainly bring me very close to it.

Like I said earlier in this thread, relegation is unacceptable. If we're a bit far from safety at any point in the season, he has to go. I'm not about to go watch another season of championship football with all our best players gone again, and ownership who will now very likely be more apprehensive about investing and a manager who''s just failed in his job the prior season. I think some people have fallen in the love with the idea of Dean Smith, boyhood Villa fan having helped us tremendously in bringing us up to the playoffs to be here in the long term and be a legend at the club, such that they are willing to let us go down with him just to give him another chance of fulfilling this fantasy.

I too am not in favour of letting all this slip away....its too hard to get out of the championship.

and I am not seduced by nepotism either......some of our best managers in the past, were not Villa fans.

I am not privvy to behind the scenes to know all the warts, but some serious conversations need to take place next week, between Dean, coaching staff and his players.....we are on a slippery slope, whether we want to admit it or not.

He will need to earn his 4 year contract now, more than before.

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I would try a 5-3-2. It would get more height in the team with the three centre backs, better suit Targett and Guilbert. It would also make us more compact in the middle whilst hopefully helping Wesley up front. 
Dean is just trying the same thing over and over and actually achieving very little. Earn your corn Deano and get the best out of what you have!

we haven't got the quality  midfield players to play 3 .....we need more.

suggest 3-5-2

Edited by TRO

17 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

You could always support Spurs if it bothers you so much! 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Not sure, depends on performances as it always does for me.

Lose those and we're down, Pep with Klopp as assistant isn't keeping us up.

Smith has shown he can get us out the championship. It was great to watch.

I don't know though, and I hope we don't have to find out.

His big weakness is refusing to ever change formation. The system isn't the worst ever but the front three are not good enough for what's being asked. It would protect the midfield if the ball would stick with them, they don't and the midfield gets overrun.

His unwillingness to change is what is starting to worry me. It’s like we are sleepwalking into trouble.

Hopefully he can get at least 5/6 points from the next 3.....

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

As much as I love Smith I think a hypothetical run of defeats to those sides, or even 3 points from those fixtures, would make me seriously question him. Back him? Yes I still probably would but that would be based on sentiment I'd say.

I feel sorry for him in many someways, Wesley is a total lemon of a signing and very clearly not his. He clearly wanted Maupay but that was dissuaded by the club because of the fee and the fact we'd sign Wesley. With a more competent starting striker we'd be better off.

Then you have players like McGinn looking out of their depth and not delivering. It just underpins to me that we didn't quite get what was a monumental recruitment task right in the summer. 

Not for the first time either.

The man manages Villa like I play FM. Which is probably why I'm super critical of him, because I know I'm gash at FM. 

Edit: Yeah. the recruitment strategy seems awfully similar to our relegation season where we brought in a lot of young players from foreign league to grow them as investments. That didn't work out too well for us obviously, the only real difference I feel is that this season our experienced PL signing is doing well for us which will probably keep us off the bottom but that doesn't mean it will keep us out of the relegation zone.

Edit 2: Now that I think about it, its probably a similar reason why I'm super critical of Mings too. I used to play as a defender a lot(of course no where near the pros) and the mistakes he was making were making my blood boil and giving me near heart attacks because I feel no decent defender especially at that level should be consistently caught like Mings was on the ball.

Now my criticisms of Wesley? No relation to anything my life, I just think he's **** terrible.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Haha 1

Â