Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You think he’s better than MON was for us?

Yes.

but he hasn't achieved 6-6-6-.....but in time he will.

Martin presided over a team from 2006-2011  ......In the  13 seasons from 1995/6 to 2010/11 only dipped below 10th 3 times, 3 times out of 13 seasons......so stability to a degree was there.....His was a tweaking job, in the main.

I would Say Dean has had a much tougher job, taking Villa up on a very unstable back drop, has been stupendous. Its been a rebuild and thanks to the owners who have made it all possible for Dean and the backroom staff to shine.

I think Dean is only just getting started.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Yes.

but he hasn't achieved 6-6-6-.....but in time he will.

Martin presided over a team from 2006-2011  ......In the  13 seasons from 1995 to 2011 only dipped below 10th 3 times, 3 times out of 13 seasons......so stability to a degree was there.....His was a tweaking job.

I would Say Dean has had a much tougher job, taking Villa up on a very unstable back drop, has been stupendous. Its been a rebuild and thanks to the owners who have made it all possible for Dean and the backroom staff.

I think Dean is only just getting started.

MON was at Villa from 2006-2010, I agree entirely with the rest of your post

It's different time really. Back then Man. City were just another bang average mid table team. Spurs were decent but still lacked that something to finish in the top 4 and they were making odd decisions regarding managers and signings. Newcastle were on the comedown in the early stages of Ashley's ownership and Leeds who'd been very strong in the late 90s/early 00s e.g. usually finishing above us but they'd just got relegated.

Of course in that period we weren't great shakes ourselves (in the 4 years before MON came in I think we finished 16th twice and also 11th and even in the 6th place season under O'Leary we were in the relegation zone coming up to xmas) but it was certainly easier to finish 5th or 6th in those days imo.

Now the field at the top is much stronger with an incredible top 2. Ironically it's a shame we haven't been back at this level for longer as we could really have attacked top 6 this year with Arsenal, Spurs and Man. United all having transitional seasons and not great. Leicester have been building gradually last 2 years and have really attacked the league this year and are getting their rewards with a deserved high placing and I can see them staying in the top 4.

Anyway we're looking good to stay up and next season the target should be top half. After that europe otherwise likes of McGinn and Grealish will outgrow us as they'll want to play CL eventually. It's would be like summer 2010 again.

I think it's important we show real ambition in the transfer market next summer and go for a couple of top level players to really boost the club and get extra 5% our of existing squad. It's what Man. City did in their first few years after the takeover.

If DS establishes us back in top 6 and europe that to me will be a great achievement than MON days as ultimately we didn't win a trophy or make CL in those seasons despite all the hype and the way we're going about things now feels much more sustainable than our approach back then.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Congratulations boss. Huge statement from the board. He's in for the long haul.

Him and Purslow are such a great pair. Absolute respect and appreciation of what the other does. Dean has no interest in boardrooms and schmoozing agents. Give him some footballs, cones and players willing to learn.

At some point though...please giz a look at a back three and some alternates up front Deano.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

Milwaukee Bucks are are Basketball team, they thought about buying a US Soccer team but decided against it because that didn't offer the opportunity of champions league football.

Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you just meant a major league sport. 

4 years? For Dean Smith?! What is the board thinking?!

.... they are thinking to the future having found the man that will lead us there - something that was waaaaaay beyond the ability and foresight of previous boards.

Sensational news!

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think it's important we show real ambition in the transfer market next summer and go for a couple of top level players to really boost the club and get extra 5% our of existing squad. It's what Man. City did in their first few years after the takeover.

Agree with this, its the only way we can hope to keep our better players, showing them we have ambition.

12 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Wes Edens already owns the milwaukee bucks. 

milwaukee bucks play basketball not football?

Just seen someone has already pulled you up for that one.

Edited by zab6359
Added a bit.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I tend to disagree I don't think our owners have as deep pockets as the Arabs for a start, and we also won't be able to generate anything like the revenue Citeh do on a match day.

We need a long term plan, similar to how Leicester are doing it. Buy cheap sell at a premium and re-invest. Hopefully with the structure we now have in place we can do that.

Oh and sort the friggin academy out just not good enough!

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think this? I think it shows that he’s committed to the football club

Nothing do with DS I just don't think 4 yr contracts are good for managers, it's like here you are have 48 months pay at x amount and if you turn out shit well we'll just pay out the remainder of those 48 months and send you on your way.

Just now, zab6359 said:

Nothing do with DS I just don't think 4 yr contracts are good for managers, it's like here you are have 48 months pay at x amount and if you turn out shit well we'll just pay out the remainder of those 48 months and send you on your way.

What if he turns out good?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

milwaukee bucks play basketball not football?

Just seen someone has already pulled you up for that one.

What he said was a major league team not a team that plays in the mls. Major league refers to any of the 4 big sports in America football, baseball, basketball and crap rugby. MLS is major league soccer. 

Â