Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think Marvelous is 100% or he would have played a part the last 2 games. There was no one else to really bring one. 

edit: a point at old Trafford and some bash him for his subs. Unbelievable. 

Well us winning that point had nothing to do with his subs this game mind you. Just thought he could've done much better in that department this game, perhaps even allowing us to win the game.

All in all....I think the subs situation just highlights how far we have to go with the squad. 

Everyone was waxing lyrical about Lansbury after the cup performances against weak opposition and calling for his inclusion....he was put on and was ineffectual and IMO I don't think he is premier league quality.

We still have about 5 signings to make in the midfield and attacking areas for our subs to be effective and game changing when they come on!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Well us winning that point had nothing to do with his subs this game mind you. Just thought he could've done much better in that department this game, perhaps even allowing us to win the game.

Like what? Bring on a defensive midfielder to help us the win the game?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bottom line is that Dean Smith is doing a great job here.

This. 

I hope he is here for a long long time. 

I love him. A point at Old Trafford and playing like we do, well it's huge progress, but the lack of subs is a god damn problem. I can't fathom what makes him think we don't need subs when everyone are breathing out their arse at 70 minutes. And considering we needed legs to close down defensively, subbing on Lansbury instead of Nakamba is just bonkers. **** if I know what he's thinking when it comes to subs. 

He's learning with us, he'll make mistakes as the players do. However we wouldn't be here without him and we've showed something in 90% of the games we've played this season. Bar Palace (robbed of a point) and Wolves. Every other game we have competed and given a real good account of ourselves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Watch the liverpool game - his subs cost us. Since then he has held back with the subs - and we have hung on both times

Exactly. People seem to think you have to make subs. Marvelous aside to sure things up apart from Lansbury I would not have wanted to see any other player from our bench on the pitch. If you cant  find something to have a go at the manager about subs is always an easy one. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I love him. A point at Old Trafford and playing like we do, well it's huge progress, but the lack of subs is a god damn problem. I can't fathom what makes him think we don't need subs when everyone are breathing out their arse at 70 minutes. And considering we needed legs to close down defensively, subbing on Lansbury instead of Nakamba is just bonkers. **** if I know what he's thinking when it comes to subs. 

He clearly rates Nakamba so for us to not see him in the last 2 games can only mean he is not 100%.  I don’t think he rates the rest of the players. To be honest I don’t either. 

• Like 1

If we do stay up (and we are looking a decent bet to do so) then next summer will be a case of evolution rather than revolution, where we could have a couple of game changing players on the bench to bring on. We don’t really have that at the moment, mostly just ‘like for like’ substitutions. 

The new contract.

Well if I have read that he had declined a new contract I would have been more worried - But I must admit I was surprised , for the following reasons:-

1. His existing contract had a good whack to run

2.There seemed no obvious opening for him elsewhere - He wasn't about to be poached (so far as I know)

3.This season could still go horribly wrong.

That said with all the shite headlines that have come out of VP in recent years - this isn't the worst move the club have made. DS still learning at this level, but I think he recognises that - He hasn't got stuck into a dogmatic approach - and has subtly changed things as the season has gone on

Â