Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 10/10/2021 at 09:41, HanoiVillan said:

Lovely video. A lot of happy memories to be fair!

Sometimes I get frustrated on our bad days, but it's healthy to look back at where we were, not just in the football pyramid, but as a squad and a culture before he came in.

The credit isn't all his, but he's certainly done his fair share to turn this club around. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with another 3 years.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I haven't seen any posts from folk happy to just survive...we all want to improve, is my understanding.

There is no ticking bomb.....Dean has shown incremental growth and in doing so the confidence of the owners.

sure we may have blips or wobbly moments, but we soon get back on track.....We have to trust the process and the outcome will arrive.

It seems to me everyone at Villa has bought in to the process, and singing off the same Hymn sheet is a major step in establishing a sound culture.

And so should he with the amount of resources he's been getting.

IMO the Newcastle takeover has completely changed the landscape for a lot of clubs, and it's vitally important that we keep up with the pack and don't get left behind. 

Otherwise we will keep losing our better players. The likes of Martinez and Watkins are driven guys. They won't sit around forever if we don't meet their ambitions.

If we keep losing our better players once they reach a certain level then there is no process. At that point we're just a stop gap. A development arena.

We all thought it was a "process" under MON too. But once it was a clear we never were going to reach that final step, key players eventually started to leave.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

I See a world of difference between MON'S tenure and Dean's, and a world of difference in the process.

So, the resources applies to Newcastle too, its only part of the process.....Money ,still has to be spent well, Martin O'Neill wasted a lot.

I think our Owners, Manager, coaching Staff are driven, to achieve what you are suggesting, but its not a light switch, its a slow burn.

You mention losing players, like its a sinking ship, and its the contrary, its emerging like the phoeinx from the ashes.....sure some players will be lost, to the midas touch, but others will stay and grow with an emerging force.

We are not exactly cheap skates, when it comes to wages, no food banks or soup kitchens at Bodymoor.

Aston Villa right now is a place to want to be....so many players can point to improving under the current regime, The academy is trail blazing, and the owners and staff appear to be thoroughly decent people, who try to do things morally right.

Sure, there will be brighter lights to attract weaker souls.....but overall, we could be the happier place to be.

put a price on happiness and contentment?

Alright… I’ll bite…

£100m…. And my dad has to be given a wedge as well 😆

• Haha 2

On 11/10/2021 at 10:27, Davkaus said:

Sometimes I get frustrated on our bad days, but it's healthy to look back at where we were, not just in the football pyramid, but as a squad and a culture before he came in.

The credit isn't all his, but he's certainly done his fair share to turn this club around. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with another 3 years.

Its passion,its 'cause you care.

I'm not good when we lose....but I don't want to be.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 13:01, villalad21 said:

And so should he with the amount of resources he's been getting.

IMO the Newcastle takeover has completely changed the landscape for a lot of clubs, and it's vitally important that we keep up with the pack and don't get left behind. 

Otherwise we will keep losing our better players. The likes of Martinez and Watkins are driven guys. They won't sit around forever if we don't meet their ambitions.

If we keep losing our better players once they reach a certain level then there is no process. At that point we're just a stop gap. A development arena.

We all thought it was a "process" under MON too. But once it was a clear we never were going to reach that final step, key players eventually started to leave.

getting money guarantee's nothing, its just raises the odds of getting it right.......Blending and coaching still has to be achieved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

getting money guarantee's nothing, its just raises the odds of getting it right.......Blending and coaching still has to be achieved.

Smith isn't solely responsible for player recruitment.

Suso and now Lange is. 

No doubt Smith has played the main role in the Championship market and I credit him for that. Cash, Watkins and Konsa are great additions. 

But point is everything is set up for the manager and players to flourish. I actually think the managerial position is very easily replaceable. 

Tactical set up against Watford and Spurs is an example to why he still isn't there yet as a manager. He is still making mistakes. 

And you've followed the game for far longer than I and should know how key consistency is. And we've never really had it under Smith. 

Went from 2 wins in 13 to 10 wins in a row in the championship. 

Went from a team in the course to comfortably finish top half last season to collapse and barely averaging above a point per game second half of the season. 

Smith is a manager that has given us moments but way too inconsistent to make me believe we can finish in Europe which ultimately is what the owners and fans want. 

I am still unconvinced of Smith. I think he is a culture builder but for me he isn't a winner. I hope I am wrong as that would obviously benefit the Villa. 

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Smith isn't solely responsible for player recruitment.

Suso and now Lange is. 

No doubt Smith has played the main role in the Championship market and I credit him for that. Cash, Watkins and Konsa are great additions. 

But point is everything is set up for the manager and players to flourish. I actually think the managerial position is very easily replaceable. 

Tactical set up against Watford and Spurs is an example to why he still isn't there yet as a manager. He is still making mistakes. 

And you've followed the game for far longer than I and should know how key consistency is. And we've never really had it under Smith. 

Went from 2 wins in 13 to 10 wins in a row in the championship. 

Went from a team in the course to comfortably finish top half last season to collapse and barely averaging above a point per game second half of the season. 

Smith is a manager that has given us moments but way too inconsistent to make me believe we can finish in Europe which ultimately is what the owners and fans want. 

I am still unconvinced of Smith. I think he is a culture builder but for me he isn't a winner. I hope I am wrong as that would obviously benefit the Villa. 

You’ve been unconvinced by him since the day he took over and have consistently been wrong so the part in bold is very hard to believe. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Consistent results largely come from having better players than the opponents (or worse players than the opponents). Until or unless that is the case at Villa, results will continue to be a bit inconsistent. Manchester City and Liverpool are consistent because they are able to put out stringer sides than all their opponents. Norwich are consistent because they have worse players than the vast majority of their opponents.

The notion you seem to have that our manager is let down by some kind of inherent flaw which leads to Villa results being “inconsistent” is, in my opinion, a load of nonsense.

Leicester seem to be pretty consistent. As well as West Ham.

I don't think their squads are vastly superior to our.

Moyes has managed to find consistency. You know what West Ham you're going to get most weeks. Can't say the same about Villa.

On 11/10/2021 at 13:16, TRO said:

I See a world of difference between MON'S tenure and Dean's, and a world of difference in the process.

So, the resources applies to Newcastle too, its only part of the process.....Money ,still has to be spent well, Martin O'Neill wasted a lot.

I think our Owners, Manager, coaching Staff are driven, to achieve what you are suggesting, but its not a light switch, its a slow burn.

You mention losing players, like its a sinking ship, and its the contrary, its emerging like the phoeinx from the ashes.....sure some players will be lost, to the midas touch, but others will stay and grow with an emerging force.

We are not exactly cheap skates, when it comes to wages, no food banks or soup kitchens at Bodymoor.

Aston Villa right now is a place to want to be....so many players can point to improving under the current regime, The academy is trail blazing, and the owners and staff appear to be thoroughly decent people, who try to do things morally right.

Sure, there will be brighter lights to attract weaker souls.....but overall, we could be the happier place to be.

This is why I think someone like Mings has found his home, we are a family and I think his intelligence sees that and values it. That’s why we should value him too despite his faults - we are getting the best out of him, perhaps more than anyone else could because of the culture and environment engendered by Smith et al. I think it’s important to have a culture of loyalty, and that works both ways.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 13:16, TRO said:

Spot on, TRO.

What we have now is a million miles from the MON era. We have a real sense of security with these owners and that makes a hell of a difference. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Moyes has managed to find consistency. You know what West Ham you're going to get most weeks. Can't say the same about Villa.

I think Smith is more adventurous and ambitious than Moyes, I think Smith hasn’t quite yet got the resources he needs to justify his ability and ambition for the club, but it’s not far away. I am not sure Moyes is anything like that, I think Moyes is in the solid, safety-first school of management and will only ever be solid, which has enormous merit, but I just think Smith aspires for more for and from the club. I really hope Smith is here in 5 years  time, statistics show 5 years+ helps settle and develop clubs and that is exactly what we need from where we have been this last 15 years.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Won 2, drawn 2, lost 3 this season, currently 13th in the table. Or do you mean consistent apart from this season? I’m sure Leicester fans don’t know what they’re getting most weeks this season so far.

• Like 2

Â