Dean Smith

Demitri_C

My tuppence on Leeds. The team is no better than ours, Bielsa just demands 110% out of every player and he gets it. They are no doubt the fittest team in the league no other manager manages like him. I'm not sure he could manage a big team, as there ego's probably wouldn't put up with him, but be very interesting to see him manage a team like Tottenham.

43 minutes ago, useless said:

Probably worth pointing out that this season Leeds have lost six of their eight games that Phillips has missed.

and what position does he play?

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Some managers are doing it

Bielsa spent just a hair less than £100 million in transfer fees alone this year. So it can't be him. Who is this mystery manager?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

My tuppence on Leeds. The team is no better than ours, Bielsa just demands 110% out of every player and he gets it. They are no doubt the fittest team in the league no other manager manages like him. I'm not sure he could manage a big team, as there ego's probably wouldn't put up with him, but be very interesting to see him manage a team like Tottenham.

Was great when we beat them wasn't it.

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Was great when we beat them wasn't it.

Interestingly about the time we beat them Leeds fans were commenting on how hard we worked defensively compared to them. It wasn’t comments just about the Leeds game either. 

I do think Leeds are a very hard working team and that is one of their strengths but sometimes these perceptions become over blown and almost mythical. 

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Troll or no Troll. He has been against Smith from day 1 and has down played every one of his achievements since taking over.

10 game run and promotion - any manager should be doing that with the players we had. 

League cup final - we lost embarrassingly in the final. 

No relegation - covid saved us and he spent loads of money. 

Third best defence in the league - it’s because of Emi Martinez. 

I could go on. 

So even when he is probably making some fair points. It’s hard to take seriously. 

He wanted Dean Smith sacked after about 10 games. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And whenever he does leave, probably after a bad run of results, he'll claim he was right all along.

It must be so much fun to live life like that.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Proof is in the pudding.

We are showing relegation form without Jack and Emi is being overworked.

In my view Dean isn't getting enough out of his players. 

People won't like to hear it but we are a bottom 5 team without Grealish. You cannot hide behind it.

Agree totally. The facts back this up. Important few games coming up for Smith I reckon.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Having a read through old posts and came across this gem

On 19/12/2018 at 19:41, villalad21 said:

I refuse to judge him until he's got a core of "his" players.

2-3 months later he was predicting Smith would be sacked end of season and we'd finish lower than blues.  

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Risso said:

Agree totally. The facts back this up. Important few games coming up for Smith I reckon.

I dunno if it's that black and white.

We looked absolutely superb at the start of the season. After getting hit my injuries to key players and having the squad wiped by covid, we don't.

A lot of average/poor teams look lost without their best players. If you take teams from the 8th position and down, remove the best player and look at their form, I bet they all struggle.

So does that mean Deano does a poor job? Nah I don't think so.

Do we need to work on playing football without Jack? For sure.

Ultimately the season is 38 matches long. Where you pick up your wins does not matter. Right now we've improved from nearly being relegated to flirting with European qualification. I'll take that ANY day.

We improved season by season. Every single year.

It's simply a case of moaning brummies. You just can't accept we're on the right path for once. Whoever we have as a manager, you will hound out unless he wins us back to back PL titles, and then our football is probably dull or something. And that's not a post aimed and you spesifically M. It's aimed at all of you miserable bastards. Just accept we're moving in the right direction and our path will be like the graph of an stock market index. Some months we will struggle, others we will look splendid.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

19 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

People know that Smith coached Luiz, Konsa, Cash, Targett, ElGhazi and Barkley for the excellent run of for at the start of the season right?

So by the same dint he coached them for this very poor end to the season. If he gets credit for the good he takes responsibility for the bad. (Not that I see this rule applied very much in this thread.)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I feel that if we are to have another season like this one next season, our kind and generous owners will possibly show a ruthless side that we have yet to see, but while we are comfortable in mid-table there is no chance of Dean not being manager going into the new season, even if we don’t pick up another win this season imo.

19 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So by the same dint he coached them for this very poor end to the season. If he gets credit for the good he takes responsibility for the bad. (Not that I see this rule applied very much in this thread.)

Absolutely - but to say he can't coach or get good results from this bunch of players (or that those players are not good enough to get these results) is stupid.

I was one calling for Smith to go last season, just before the first lockdown. Thankfully he didn’t as he did a great job keeping us up.

This season has been better, with some great football and well deserved excellent results. Smith has earned the right to take us in to the new season and continue to build the squad.

However, I genuinely think that his position will come under a bit more scrutiny from Purslow and the owners if next season goes like this one, regardless of what happens to Grealish.

Â