Dean Smith

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I do too and I want Mings to be a little less risky in defense because he's been in similar situations before where we couldn't make the case for offside like against citeh. However, the Rodri Mings situation I blame squarily on the referees.

I think improving our ability to dispossess and not get dispossessed is defo something to work on.

Mings is not great on the ball, but he thinks he is......He is a bit gangly, but his height is a major advantage....but for some reason, he seems reluctant to use it as much as he should.

If he took a leaf out of Laursens book, he would be scoring more goals at set pieces. i.e corners.

However, I do worry, when he tries to emulate Beckenbaur.

There is no rule to be changed, or even clarify.

This rule about receiving the ball from a defender, whilst being stood in an offside position. So a poor backpass, or poor header back.

What they may do is add in a new rule that makes either Rodri onside or offside (depending which way they want to go) but by the current rules, Rodri was offside. They've conned everyone.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Agree. Also, think we need to be more clinical in front of goal and take those chances when they come.

Yeah, if we'd finished only a handful more of the chances we've made, we'd likely be top of the league. Some really bad misses/fluffed lines, too, not just your "could've done a bit better with that"s. Just missing that little bit of extra calmness and quality.

3 hours ago, Michelsen said:

Totally. It’s akin to the brainwashed masses of a totalitarian society, where critical thinking has long since been wiped out. My mind is just failing to understand this total acceptance of a reinventing of the offside rule that has no precedent and would change the game of football if it is followed. It’s completely bonkers. I get that non-Villa fans won’t be as emotionally invested in this as I am, but why aren’t people thinking over what this rule interpratation really means for the game of football? 

I think they call it the United Kingdom. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is the part they are using to justify it being onside.  It’s a complete and utter farce. 

It's also irrelevant because this is talking about the first touch by the teammate, not the defender. 

Farce.

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

My Liverpool supporting son-in-law was furious after the Manure debacle, but he was proper apoplectic after the City game. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

So he bloody well should be

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

There is no rule to be changed, or even clarify.

This rule about receiving the ball from a defender, whilst being stood in an offside position. So a poor backpass, or poor header back.

What they may do is add in a new rule that makes either Rodri onside or offside (depending which way they want to go) but by the current rules, Rodri was offside. They've conned everyone.

It's certainly how I read that ruling, but it is pretty vague - let's be honest.

I'm amazed that referees actually interpret it that way, though.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

It's certainly how I read that ruling, but it is pretty vague - let's be honest.

I'm amazed that referees actually interpret it that way, though.

It's certainly what the rule is supposed to be. But now PGMOL have said that it also means an offside player tackling a defender, we'll see if they stop their linos flagging for it.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's certainly what the rule is supposed to be. But now PGMOL have said that it also means an offside player tackling a defender, we'll see if they stop their linos flagging for it.

I don't know if it is, necessarily.

So, for example, how long is Mings able to hold onto that ball before the offside is actually reset?  Can he keep the ball indefinitely and Rodri isn't allowed to challenge?

Just now, bobzy said:

So, for example, how long is Mings able to hold onto that ball before the offside is actually reset?  Can he keep the ball indefinitely and Rodri isn't allowed to challenge?

It's my understanding that for Rodri to challenge, he needs to get himself reset and back onside. He never does this.

34 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's also irrelevant because this is talking about the first touch by the teammate, not the defender. 

Farce.

Oh yeh, I didn’t read it properly. Yeh there’s no rule to change. They just messed up and are trying to justify. Shame to see so many pundits falling for it too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I would also add that offsides should pass the eye test either way, the same as the drawing of the lines. If it looks wrong, it probably is.

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's my understanding that for Rodri to challenge, he needs to get himself reset and back onside. He never does this.

Well, you could argue that he does.  Mings chests it and it then bounces off his foot at roughly the same time that Rodri challenges him from an onside position (from memory).

For me, the issue is with receiving the ball.  But a lot of people have read this rule and agreed that the goal shouldn't stand so...

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Well, you could argue that he does.  Mings chests it and it then bounces off his foot at roughly the same time that Rodri challenges him from an onside position (from memory).

hmmmmm debatable! He's behind him as he chests it and the second touch he's already tackling him from behind.

I think the crux of the matter here is, that get flagged 100 times out of 100 and nobody bats an eyelid. 

It doesn't get flagged on one occasion (I've never seen it) and causes a tonne of controversy, yet apparently that's the normal and the rule and everyone is stupid for not knowing it.

Add to that, the eye test (it looks offside) and it doesn't add up in the slightest. 

I think if this was the first occasion we've had of the PGMOL being blatantly opaque and dishonest then there would be less anger. Unfortunately it isn't.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â