Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

McGinn and Barkley both bombing forward surely are instructions..

If Dean told McGinn to sit he would.

Just tell Luiz and McGinn to sit deep and we still have Grealish, Barkley, Watkins and Trezeguet to get us goals.

He’s not a dog 😂 

Maybe Mcginn isn’t following instructions. I don’t know. Something just isn’t right in the middle of the park.  The balance that seemed there in the Liverpool and Leicester game seemed lacking last 2 games. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Robbie Savage said during the Leeds game we have too many offensive players, I think he was right.

you could be forgiven for thinking that.

Yep. Our shape is all over the place.

If this doesn't change we'll have to consider bringing Nakamba into the team.

For all his faults he is a defensive minded player who will keep his position and wins tackles.

Don't think Dean will do that though. I think he look at players such as McGinn and Barkley as undroppable.

• Like 2

4 games we looked good, we seemed to play with balance and confidence.

It is hard to see what has suddenly gone wrong, but in the last two games a lot of players seem to have lost their confidence, fitness and positional sense.

But also we seem to have had zero luck also, I think the results flattered Leeds and Southampton respectively, certainly today I think we could have got a draw.

People thinking Arsenal are an easier opponent could be given a rude awakening.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yep. Our shape is all over the place.

If this doesn't change we'll have to consider bringing Nakamba into the team.

For all his faults he is a defensive minded player who will keep his position and wins tackles.

Don't think Dean will do that though. I think he look at players such as McGinn and Barkley as undroppable.

I think he has the nose for it.....but not good enough.

12 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

4 games we looked good, we seemed to play with balance and confidence.

It is hard to see what has suddenly gone wrong, but in the last two games a lot of players seem to have lost their confidence, fitness and positional sense.

But also we seem to have had zero luck also, I think the results flattered Leeds and Southampton respectively, certainly today I think we could have got a draw.

People thinking Arsenal are an easier opponent could be given a rude awakening.

I can clearly see whats gone wrong.....whether folks want to agree, is an entirely different proposition.

The approach of the teams in the first 4 games was in stark contrast to the approach from the last 2...that is clear to me.

I don't think the results flattered Leeds or Southampton, it was clear to me it was coming, by the play in both games.....Ward Prowse hit 2 world class strikes granted, and the first goal was a total mis match, when we had a 6'5 centreback who could/should have challenged Vestergard.....we have seen all this with Pontus Jansson playing for Leeds, they just bully their way in.....chris woods does the same, we are weak at defending it....and we don't learn.

They had a marginal goal disallowed by another panic stations attempt and hit the cross bar with another, so I don't think the score did flatter them.

when you get out fought, many things go astray and imo, thats what happened on the day.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I can clearly see whats gone wrong.....whether folks want to agree, is an entirely different proposition.

The approach of the teams in the first 4 games was in stark contrast to the approach from the last 2...that is clear to me.

I don't think the results flattered Leeds or Southampton, it was clear to me it was coming, by the play in both games.....Ward Prowse hit 2 world class strikes granted, and the first goal was a total mis match, when we had a 6'5 centreback who could/should have challenged Vestergard.....we have seen all this with Pontus Jansson playing for Leeds, they just bully their way in.....chris woods does the same, we are weak at defending it....and we don't learn.

They had a marginal goal disallowed by another panic stations attempt and hit the cross bar with another, so I don't think the score did flatter them.

when you get out fought, many things go astray and imo, thats what happened on the day.

so do you think Dean should have responded to the play in both games and changed players and tactics?

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

so do you think Dean should have responded to the play in both games and changed players and tactics?

I think the subject is broader than that.....but yes.

I think we need some power and pace in defensive positions mainly midfield.....and right now they are not in the squad.

My theory though is this, if you don't change things, despite having limited options, you are effectively condoning it.....it might be worse, but you have had a go.

Dean intimated against Leeds, instructions was not followed, the game plan was ignored.....we can't be having that.....if that is the case, players need to be hooked and his instructions adhered to.

He cannot just blindly play players who are not performing and lose by significant score lines, action has to be taken.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I agree with you on many things mate. 

I watched that game today and pretty much from the first attack you could see were were second best to the ball. Again, they attacked down our right side. Whether teams see Cash as a weakness or whether they want to keep it away from Grealish's side of the pitch who knows but it is a definite trait that's become apparent this season. 

McGinn was a passenger for most of the game and looked clueless to what was going on. 

Martinez did a couple of strange things today. There was one where both Cash and Trezeguet were free in our half for an easy pass out but he passed to Mings instead who was immediately put under pressure and he just hoofed it down the field to their player for them to have possession and go straight on the attack again. 

It seems to me like the defence set the tone for our performances. If they are "at it" from the start we seem to be better as a whole team but when they fanny about at the back we seem to get put under pressure and start to lose all our positional sense and get outplayed. 

I knew from the first 5 minutes today that we would not win that game. We were not at it from the start and you could sense what was going to happen. 

• Like 1

There was a lot of focus since the start of Project Restart right up til the Leeds game, about us being ‘hard to beat’. 

I’m confused by the last two matches, we have been completely blown away and just collapsed as soon as we conceded the first goal in each. 

Im trying to figure out what has changed here, and Im wondering if we have tried to revert back to how we started last season, trying to just go at teams, rather than continue with what worked for the first four games of this season and for project restart. 

It’s strange, I have no idea what to suggest as the reason for it, but it’s not good, whatever it is. Last two games have been woeful. 

Edited by Tayls

Just came onto this thread to say what a brilliant job our manager is doing.

We have played 6 teams this season and 4 of them are on red hot form. Even Fulham came from 4-1 down at "untouchable" Leeds to 4-3, just before we smashed them at a ground we never win at.

I've had my doubts about our 'head coach' but I have to say, he is doing a bloody good job with what he has to work with. As are our owners.

This is a man who is effectively re-building a club that was torn to shreds by a combination of terrible owners, dodgy deals, mercenary players and bad timing. 

He isn't perfect, (who is?) but I'd rather him in charge, going in the right direction, than a quick fix chancer taking us nowhere. 

Same for our owners. I haven't been as excited to be a Villa fan in years. And Dean is the man to thank for that. UTV

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

They only had four legitimate shots on target, we were unlucky on that front but our performance was very disjointed for the reason I posted above regardless, that’s what needs fixing.

Yes Of course, all very well fixing the situation when we've practically lost the game but the team needs to be setup right from the kick off. Can't repeat same mistakes going forward. Then there's silly things such as defensive mismatches putting Meatball on the big guy. These details are important and the players need to know what the crack is in those types of situations.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Zonal marking TRO, why are we back to playing it, this caused us enough errors before lock down and it's now starting to do it again, shouldnt we be man to man??

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I agree with you on many things mate. 

I watched that game today and pretty much from the first attack you could see were were second best to the ball. Again, they attacked down our right side. Whether teams see Cash as a weakness or whether they want to keep it away from Grealish's side of the pitch who knows but it is a definite trait that's become apparent this season. 

McGinn was a passenger for most of the game and looked clueless to what was going on. 

Martinez did a couple of strange things today. There was one where both Cash and Trezeguet were free in our half for an easy pass out but he passed to Mings instead who was immediately put under pressure and he just hoofed it down the field to their player for them to have possession and go straight on the attack again. 

It seems to me like the defence set the tone for our performances. If they are "at it" from the start we seem to be better as a whole team but when they fanny about at the back we seem to get put under pressure and start to lose all our positional sense and get outplayed. 

I knew from the first 5 minutes today that we would not win that game. We were not at it from the start and you could sense what was going to happen. 

I totally agree.....I felt exactly the same against Leeds......... and after the Leicester game, I had no real reason to feel that way, just so used to playing leeds and getting out fought.

It was just the same in the last season against Southampton and the season before against Leeds.....we can't play the press or high intensity closing down....they play little balls off us in close contact and win the second balls.

Dean has to take the criticism, when we give him the praise, for the first 4 games.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Zonal marking TRO, why are we back to playing it, this caused us enough errors before lock down and it's now starting to do it again, shouldnt we be man to man??

I think there is a case for both Dave....but when you are up against a big unit, at a set piece , you have to match it, physically.

• Thanks 1

For mine, he has to have the balls to drop players based on their performance after or during a game, not their name.

He dropped Trez for Traore, but Trez was good in the time he was on the pitch yesterday and good in all previous games bar Leeds (where we were all pretty bad).

He won't drop or substitute Barkley who, for mine, has been a liability in the last 2 games against Leeds and Southampton

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Just came onto this thread to say what a brilliant job our manager is doing.

We have played 6 teams this season and 4 of them are on red hot form. Even Fulham came from 4-1 down at "untouchable" Leeds to 4-3, just before we smashed them at a ground we never win at.

I've had my doubts about our 'head coach' but I have to say, he is doing a bloody good job with what he has to work with. As are our owners.

This is a man who is effectively re-building a club that was torn to shreds by a combination of terrible owners, dodgy deals, mercenary players and bad timing. 

He isn't perfect, (who is?) but I'd rather him in charge, going in the right direction, than a quick fix chancer taking us nowhere. 

Same for our owners. I haven't been as excited to be a Villa fan in years. And Dean is the man to thank for that. UTV

so what did you think of the game as opposed to the club as a whole?

2 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

For mine, he has to have the balls to drop players based on their performance after or during a game, not their name.

He dropped Trez for Traore, but Trez was good in the time he was on the pitch yesterday and good in all previous games bar Leeds (where we were all pretty bad).

He won't drop or substitute Barkley who, for mine, has been a liability in the last 2 games against Leeds and Southampton

I think the problem is you could finger quite a few and you can't drop them all......I think this is a team/balance issue, as opposed to individuals, albeit individuals are creating errors.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

so what did you think of the game as opposed to the club as a whole?

Well, thats maybe for another thread but I'll answer your question as its a valid one. 

First half, abysmal, really poor at set pieces and generally 2nd to everything. 

2nd half, we showed character, spirit, tactical awareness and pride.

Overall I'd say we were naieve, but beaten by a better team. The second half showed me more about our players than the win at Leicester did. We have the ability to fight. And that's gonna be crucial as the season goes on. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed but how often do teams get punished by them? We got punished twice in the same game. That isn't something that usually happens.  

That is true, they were really great free kicks. Both self inflicted though, it wasn't unlucky to concede ones, it was opened up in the middle and a DM left isolated and a full back completely out of position that pretty much stopped a goal scoring opportunity. It's more stupidly putting ourselves in the position where there is a chance of punishment was the problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I'm not sure where the risk is?.......we have been beaten 3-0 by a vibrant Leeds team and 0-4 down against a durable Southampton team......tell me who deserves to keep their place.?

what incentive is there on the bench ,to get in......what do they have to do to lose their place?

just being devils advocate.

Anyone who thinks we can just keep playing our regular 11 right through the season when the schedule is totally insane isn't seeing the bigger picture imo. They'll be totally dead on their feet by March which is the problems we had in the MON seasons e.g little trust in any player beyond the regular 13-14 starters so they all ran out of gas at same time.

I'm not hyping up our bench players to be amazing but I didn't imagine the good end to last season and start to this season with Hourihane starting all those 6-7 games? Nakamba started the odd good performance like Newcastle at home aswell IIRC.

What's odd is we're not even subbing much. As someone pointed out McGinn has started to flag again since starting all 3 Scotland games during the break and yet he's been kept on to the death in games for us.

I agree with TRO, no good the bench players starting to get demotivated and then we get injuries at same time and have to call for Engels and Davis to start v a Spurs or Chelsea when they haven't played a game in months.

• Like 3

Â