Dean Smith

Demitri_C

59 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Very likeable chap, completely agree, I wonder what he will have learnt from last season that he should already have know. When to use the subs, his strongest team, how to get the best out of people and what to do if they dont give their best. He needs to have a nasty streak too. I hope he continues to improve our play. But would not hesitate to move him on we find ourselves bottom 3 by Christmas 

All of these are really speculative bar the subs and perhaps 'his best team'. And with the subs we didn't really have the greatest bench. As for the best team, we have had a lot of injuries to key players (mainly McGinn) and who would ever have imagined that our 'best team' featured one of our worst players. Don't forget the utter mare that two of those attackers had against Everton. It's not as if it's black and white.

You don't really know what goes on behind the scenes, but you seem very confident! Anyway, here's hoping we see a step up next year. And, yes, ultimatley I'm sure there is a learning curve when managing in the Prem for the first time. And you might have been right—I'm not saying the opposite, just that we don't really know.

EDIT: Actually, I don't think he does know his best team still. How Samatta was playing over Davis I'll never know. There must have been a reason (maybe Davis needed to be treated with a bit of care after his injuries). Maybe he just got it wrong, for me, because I just don't see it with Samatta.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The problem with picking Davis was/is that he just doesn’t score goals. It’s not that he doesn’t score many goals, he just doesn’t score any goals. His overall play is very good, but a striker needs to find the net. There are probably goal keepers with more PL goals than Davis. I hope we can find a way to get that sorted and of course to keep him fit but time waits for no man, he needs to find some goals soon. 

I'd agree if the alternative also didn't score goals and also gave the ball away more and was much less effective! 

Anyway, yeah as Rob says above—clean slate for all. Hopefully Dean and his many assistants can improve us this year.

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I'd agree if the alternative also didn't score goals and also gave the ball away more and was much less effective! 

Anyway, yeah as Rob says above—clean slate for all. Hopefully Dean and his many assistants can improve us this year.

Yes you’re right. Samatha scored a couple in his first few matches but he looked about as likely to score as Davis after lockdown. With our set of forwards how the hell have we stayed up?!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

You’ve been consistently wrong about Dean Smith for 2 years now.

“He can’t coach a defence”, “his teams leak goals” was a common theme, and yet post lockdown he pretty much fixed the defence. There were other weird attacks as well - unable to break down 10 men, get worse in the second half, as though these must flow directly from the coach.

At some point you just have to accept that a coach who can take a team from 14th in the Championship to Premier League survival in less than 2 years... is a half-decent coach.

And there hasn’t been a single point in his time here where we’ve seen a Villa player signal that he thinks Smith is out of his depth. He’s never lost the dressing room. There have been frustrating moments, and we cut it too fine this season, but all the signs are positive now.

And don’t forget got us to a cup final as well.

• Like 1

On 30/07/2020 at 06:44, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I agree, and we played similarly in the championship, but couldn't maintain it in the premier league against better opposition. Players are allowed so much more time on the ball in the championship, defending and pressing is much worse. For all of Brentford's great attacking football their first two goals from last night would have never happened in the premier league. Completely naive from Swansea. 

I loved how Villa tried to play at the start of the season, way more attacking and trying to keep possession, but it all came to an end after the Man U away game. Smith will have to find the balance between that way and the more defensively sound football from after the break in order for the team to progress because sitting back, absorbing pressure and counter attacking clearly isn't his preferred way and isn't exactly fitting for the players we now have. 

A very measured post....spot on.

i am hoping he signs players to help us with that.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Very likeable chap, completely agree, I wonder what he will have learnt from last season that he should already have know. When to use the subs, his strongest team, how to get the best out of people and what to do if they dont give their best. He needs to have a nasty streak too. I hope he continues to improve our play. But would not hesitate to move him on we find ourselves bottom 3 by Christmas 

Not sure nasty is the right word, but what you imply is correct.

Fortitude and a ruthless streak is what he wants to develop a tad....it will come with confidence as we win more games.

Soft on the outside, steel like on the inside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Yes you’re right. Samatha scored a couple in his first few matches but he looked about as likely to score as Davis after lockdown. With our set of forwards how the hell have we stayed up?!

Because securing points is a balanced combination of scoring and not conceding, with game management thrown in.

in a ridiculous scenario you could secure 38 points without scoring a goal, if you draw 0-0 in every game......whilst that statement is totally hypothetical, there is a message that can't be ignored.....if you concede too many goals in this league, you are dead meat.

getting that balance right is crucial to us and I hope he can...but we do need some good players to help do it.

I've doubted him from day 1 and to an extent still do. However mid table in the championship - constructing a premier league team on the fly - surviving the first season back.

.....we've had worse managers !!!!

Very likeable guy - really hope he keeps proving me wrong.

• Like 4

When you lose, some folk say, "we will learn from that"

Dean has just delivered back to back results.....Promotion and avoided relegation....yes it was a struggle and nip and tuck at times......but he will learn far more from  that and winning games, than losing.

It will be a major boost to his confidence and a major boost the the confidence his bosses have in him.

I think it was a watershed moment, where you sink or swim and it would not surprise me to see him develop from here.

its not a case of me changing my tune.....its more a case of HIM changing the perception of my tune.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

I've doubted him from day 1 and to an extent still do. However mid table in the championship - constructing a premier league team on the fly - surviving the first season back.

.....we've had worse managers !!!!

Very likeable guy - really hope he keeps proving me wrong.

Thats a fair declaration.

51 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m still not convinced he can take us to the next level (whatever that is). But he 100% deserves a crack at it.

Managers develop just like players.....this last season and particularly lockdown, he has learnt a lot...and I am delighted.

However,There is no sentiment in football and you have to pass the tests, he has.....i want him to go on now and develop in to the manager, we all want him to be.....Ron Saunders, did it, Brian Little, did it and so did John Gregory.....and he can.

The club is in good shape, so the platform is there, to kick on.

If he carries on and is fortunate enough to get the right players, he can achieve a much different profile....much like Chris Wilder has.......the pundits will warm to him and we will have the manager we crave.

No one has ever doubted, he is a good bloke.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Some problems mentally?

An important job of a manager is to get his players mentally strong.

Can’t argue that they weren’t mentally strong in the final ten games especially the final four games.  To get through all that pressure, all those doubters and survive against the odds....there had to be mental strength and he got them strong to survive.  You aren’t a fan of his but he got them right and they mentally held on against the odds and arguably  pushed through that barrier to get 8 points in the final 4 games....that’s strength.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can’t argue that they weren’t mentally strong in the final ten games especially the final four games.  To get through all that pressure, all those doubters and survive against the odds....there had to be mental strength and he got them strong to survive.  You aren’t a fan of his but he got them right and they mentally held on against the odds and arguably  pushed through that barrier to get 8 points in the final 4 games....that’s strength.

Its ok to delve in to constructive criticism.....but that has to be balanced with giving credit, where credit is due......that is the essence of it all....as you have touched on.

Edited by TRO

My take on Deano.

Positive: Great guy! Players love him, always defends and supports them. Villa fan. His philosophy is attacking creative football. Looks at how to improve Villa all round not just the first team. Trying to build an ethos that will benefit the whole club. Always tries to be positive. Always looking to learn and improve.

Negative: Tactically found out of his depth at times this season. Didn't get the best out of his players on numerous occasions this season gone. El-Ghazi who we all know is very talented grossly under performed but he almost always picked him when he was available and clearly hasn't found how to get the best out of him.

Average team building at best last summer. Can't put it all on Suso. Built a team that is supposed to be attacking but didn't have one attacker with genuine pace in the squad. You need pace in attack to make opponents defend a bit deeper. That way their press has to cover more space meaning more gaps. Easier to move the ball up the pitch and maintain pressure. Chose Engels (his signing) and put him in the same defence as Targett meaning 2 out of 4 defenders were slow, and Guilbert while not slow is hardly a pacey player. This meant we ended up having to defend deeper than we should have, but we still tried to commit bodies forward. When you throw in the his philosophy relies on a high press this creates acres of space in the middle of the park to exploit.

The defensive improvement after the restart was due to:

1. Playing  the most familiar system.

2. Changing to a counter attacking system making us more compact as a unit.

3. Only using 2 of the forwards to press high, and only pressing as a unit when in our own half with men behind the ball.

4. Douglas Luiz being the defensive screen that Nakamba on a good day offers, while rarely give the ball away and using it intelligently.

Overall I gave him a C for his job last season as he did the minimum (for a pass) and kept us up. But lots to work on. Not convinced he has what it takes at this level. Based on the season gone performance we should be extremely sceptical. However this season was his first experience with this standard of football. So I'm sure he will have learnt loads.

So what he needs to address:

1. Improve the front line. Firstly injecting a pacy winger / inside forward has to be priority. Without pace in our attack teams will push up against us which nullifies the target man, as he ends up holding the ball in the middle third near the half way line instead of 20 yards closer to goal. Means our creative players particularly those in the middle of the park find difficultly getting possession in the final third. Secondly by finding someone to score 15 plus goals a season.

2. Injecting more pace into defence. 

3. Signing a player that can play both alongside Jack Grealish, and in place of Jack offering similar levels of creativity. Next season Jack will need to be rested at times, and he does get injured from time to time. If you get a back up he probably won't be good enough so instead get someone good enough for the first team and put him in the team alongside Jack and alternate when you rest them.

4. Using the first 2 points plus quality coaching to develop aneffective high press. We saw in the 5-1 against Norwich how effective a good high press can be, and most of the goals came from pressuring and winning the ball in the opponents half.

5. Improve the options coming off the bench so he can make better substitutions.

6. Be more tactically nuanced, and make quick tactical decisions to counter opponents tactical tweeks, and adjustments. 

7. Be confident in himself, we saw him steadily deflate as the season went on. After the Everton game he looked devastated, but still held it together. In the end he showed strong character, went back to his core beliefs and never stopped  believing. This should be used to give him the confidence to really believe in what he is doing.

I'm wishing, hoping, and willing Deano to succeed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

My take on Deano.

Positive: Great guy! Players love him, always defends and supports them. Villa fan. His philosophy is attacking creative football. Looks at how to improve Villa all round not just the first team. Trying to build an ethos that will benefit the whole club. Always tries to be positive. Always looking to learn and improve.

Negative: Tactically found out of his depth at times this season. Didn't get the best out of his players on numerous occasions this season gone. El-Ghazi who we all know is very talented grossly under performed but he almost always picked him when he was available and clearly hasn't found how to get the best out of him.

Average team building at best last summer. Can't put it all on Suso. Built a team that is supposed to be attacking but didn't have one attacker with genuine pace in the squad. You need pace in attack to make opponents defend a bit deeper. That way their press has to cover more space meaning more gaps. Easier to move the ball up the pitch and maintain pressure. Chose Engels (his signing) and put him in the same defence as Targett meaning 2 out of 4 defenders were slow, and Guilbert while not slow is hardly a pacey player. This meant we ended up having to defend deeper than we should have, but we still tried to commit bodies forward. When you throw in the his philosophy relies on a high press this creates acres of space in the middle of the park to exploit.

The defensive improvement after the restart was due to:

1. Playing  the most familiar system.

2. Changing to a counter attacking system making us more compact as a unit.

3. Only using 2 of the forwards to press high, and only pressing as a unit when in our own half with men behind the ball.

4. Douglas Luiz being the defensive screen that Nakamba on a good day offers, while rarely give the ball away and using it intelligently.

Overall I gave him a C for his job last season as he did the minimum (for a pass) and kept us up. But lots to work on. Not convinced he has what it takes at this level. Based on the season gone performance we should be extremely sceptical. However this season was his first experience with this standard of football. So I'm sure he will have learnt loads.

So what he needs to address:

1. Improve the front line. Firstly injecting a pacy winger / inside forward has to be priority. Without pace in our attack teams will push up against us which nullifies the target man, as he ends up holding the ball in the middle third near the half way line instead of 20 yards closer to goal. Means our creative players particularly those in the middle of the park find difficultly getting possession in the final third. Secondly by finding someone to score 15 plus goals a season.

2. Injecting more pace into defence. 

3. Signing a player that can play both alongside Jack Grealish, and in place of Jack offering similar levels of creativity. Next season Jack will need to be rested at times, and he does get injured from time to time. If you get a back up he probably won't be good enough so instead get someone good enough for the first team and put him in the team alongside Jack and alternate when you rest them.

4. Using the first 2 points plus quality coaching to develop aneffective high press. We saw in the 5-1 against Norwich how effective a good high press can be, and most of the goals came from pressuring and winning the ball in the opponents half.

5. Improve the options coming off the bench so he can make better substitutions.

6. Be more tactically nuanced, and make quick tactical decisions to counter opponents tactical tweeks, and adjustments. 

7. Be confident in himself, we saw him steadily deflate as the season went on. After the Everton game he looked devastated, but still held it together. In the end he showed strong character, went back to his core beliefs and never stopped  believing. This should be used to give him the confidence to really believe in what he is doing.

I'm wishing, hoping, and willing Deano to succeed. 

Good post.

I think you are spot on about the high press, but players need to read the game better and their touch on the ball needs to improve.....hope he gets the players to help.

but you are right an injection of pace is paramount too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â