Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

TBF only getting a point against that United side with no Bruno and Greenwood is practically a mullering. 

Not really. Greenwood will be back to being a below average striker next season. He is outperforming his xg+xa by more than anyone. It is then followed by Bruno Fernandes. That United team did what they always seem to do under ole. Hit a purple patch for long enough to keep him in a job. Next season I wouldn't be surprised if they finished 6th or 7th.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

The changes that Dean made during lockdown were almost like a change of manager. He got the equivalent of a new manager bounce and added to that a different focus on our tactics to suit the situation that we were in. It was a remarkable turn around, which he deserves enormous credit for. Thanks Deano! 

That's it, Dave. Spread the love. 

Long may he reign. 

In Deano we trust. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

TBF only getting a point against that United side with no Bruno and Greenwood is practically a mullering. 

Greenwood came off the bench and they beat City 2 games later with neither involved

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

The changes that Dean made during lockdown were almost like a change of manager. He got the equivalent of a new manager bounce and added to that a different focus on our tactics to suit the situation that we were in. It was a remarkable turn around, which he deserves enormous credit for. Thanks Deano! 

Knew he had to get us grinding results rather than play so much flash type football. I do think Smith made the wrong choice in having us playing fancy football so early in the season, he tried and fair play to him. Glad he changed to actually trying to get the job done and keep us up after the LD, we certainly looked better and looked very good. If wed of come out of LD playing the same way we did before it we would of certainly gone down.

• Like 2

On 13/08/2020 at 01:55, Dave-R said:

Knew he had to get us grinding results rather than play so much flash type football. I do think Smith made the wrong choice in having us playing fancy football so early in the season, he tried and fair play to him. Glad he changed to actually trying to get the job done and keep us up after the LD, we certainly looked better and looked very good. If wed of come out of LD playing the same way we did before it we would of certainly gone down.

I hope you get a better reaction to that, than i did, for saying the same thing.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I hope we get in a good group of decent signings this season. If we do, I think Dean will do a decent job and we will have a very good season this season.

What is a good season?

To me that's progression. 38-42 points this season and i'll be very happy.

Anything above 42 would be above what can be expected.

Edited by villalad21

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What is a good season?

If you missed your season due to being too focused on us then the Leeds season review 19/20 DVD will be a must see.

....Do you think you will actually reach 42 points this season?

• Like 1

On 12/08/2020 at 17:06, MotoMkali said:

Not really. Greenwood will be back to being a below average striker next season. He is outperforming his xg+xa by more than anyone. It is then followed by Bruno Fernandes. That United team did what they always seem to do under ole. Hit a purple patch for long enough to keep him in a job. Next season I wouldn't be surprised if they finished 6th or 7th.

Nah, Greenwood is the real deal I think.

A superstar in the making.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2020 at 03:55, Dave-R said:

Was indeed naive, however ideally it's what we and him would have "wanted" initially? STEEP learning curve.

I'm guessing changing his strategy in his head was almost like "accepting defeat", the kind of thing which would make you start to doubt yourself as a manager.

In hindsight, he probably should have/had realised earlier this was unrealistic in the PL without commensurate quality.

The flip side is, in the earlier part of the season, almost every commentator would say they have seen enough from us to suggest that we will be fine, and push on. Even when we were losing, because it was apparent we had an immense threat going forward.

The "Break" was actually a blessing in disguise for us.

As everyone, I'm hoping lessons have been learned and we can find a balance of how he ideally wants to play, and the solidity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Anyone thinking this season won't be another battle for survival need a reality check.

I’d agree if Jack is out. But if he stays and we got the signings needed there is no reason not look up the table!

with more actual in game support in Shakespeare I would be hoping our tactics will change depending on how each game we are performing.

I would be hoping for 4 to 6 more wins this season than last, be it swapping for draws or losses. A 10 to 14 point increase would be a significant improvement over last season for me.

I cant see so many teams around the drop zone this season either. Staying up with 37 points was statistically just enough at 18th average is 36 point's over the history of the Premier league.

47 to 51 points should be enough for 14th to 9th statistically.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

What is a good season?

Anything above 42 would be above what can be expected.

I'd go for 12th as a good season, 10 points clear of 18th so safe from relegation by early April. Finishing above established sides like Burnley and Palace which I don't think is unrealistic. Top half would be amazing as we were about 16 points off that this season.

Would require us to have a much stronger defensive base and take far more points off the top 7 so we'll soon see if last seasons good end was just a mirage. I do think beating Arsenal was a massive mental result for us and we should get a few more draws and wins v likes of Spurs Arsenal and Chelsea next season.

• Like 1

Â