Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Was a bit surprised when it said one of his biggest strength is his team talks.

Considering no other team have lost more points from winning positions to us. Especially in the last part of games. That suggest to me his team talks aren't that great. Especially not the half time ones.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Maybe one for a speculation or the JT thread, but if/when JT does depart...

I think we should approach Thomas Frank as Deano's new right hand man!?  🤔

Unless he his content at Brentford, I would definately ask the question.

i think we should just change our name to Brentford Villa and be done with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Considering no other team have lost more points from winning positions to us. Especially in the last part of games. That suggest to me his team talks aren't that great. Especially not the half time ones.

spacer.png

• Thanks 2

Well I'll definitely take your word for it and not the players', who happen to be on the receiving end of said team talks for some weird reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

But his pre-match team talk must be good then if we’re regularly taking the lead...

Maybe us throwing away leads is not down to team talks at all.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Keyblade said:

First time in a long time, probably ever that I'm proud of a Villa manager. Like I actually beam with pride knowing Dean is our manager. And he's only going to get better.

Been undecided about paying for the athletic I think I will now. 

Also got a mate who writes regularly in it so should already have stumped up really. 

Often see what I imagine are interesting bits in Villa.

He get out of a very difficult situations, with the worst attacking force in the league (well it's not fully true as Jack is something else, but our strikers goals number is pathetic). We found ourselves in a relegation battle with 3 established teams, most have a very good squad. We all thought we'd be among Newcastle, Norwich, Sheff Utd, Palace and Brighton. But it turned out to be Bournemouth, Watford and West Ham. That alone was huge mentally to handle, the quality in those teams isn't bad at all. They had some experienced managers, while it was Dean's first season.

To come out of that situation is definitely something remarkable, same as last season in the Championship. Ok, some might say we've done much mistakes to be in this situation itself, but those 3 teams are even more in terms of that they shouldn't be down there. Things like that happens, but more importantly the character we saw! He's learning and that's much better than getting one of the boring managers which won't take us to the next level.

• Like 3

On 06/08/2020 at 01:13, villalad21 said:

Most of those games were against top teams which are expected. Yes he did some bad decisions tactically, but there was still some problems mentally. We needed atleast some two goals wins to secure wins and have more confidence. The team is young and new to the league and found themselves in a huge challenge. Smith is learning, and that's the most important part.

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Most of those games were against top teams which are expected. Yes he did some bad decisions tactically, but there was still some problems mentally. We needed atleast some two goals wins to secure wins and have more confidence. The team is young and new to the league and found themselves in a huge challenge. Smith is learning, and that's the most important part.

Some problems mentally?

An important job of a manager is to get his players mentally strong.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

You’ve been consistently wrong about Dean Smith for 2 years now.

“He can’t coach a defence”, “his teams leak goals” was a common theme, and yet post lockdown he pretty much fixed the defence. There were other weird attacks as well - unable to break down 10 men, get worse in the second half, as though these must flow directly from the coach.

At some point you just have to accept that a coach who can take a team from 14th in the Championship to Premier League survival in less than 2 years... is a half-decent coach.

And there hasn’t been a single point in his time here where we’ve seen a Villa player signal that he thinks Smith is out of his depth. He’s never lost the dressing room. There have been frustrating moments, and we cut it too fine this season, but all the signs are positive now.

The only reason he got the defense right is because he's gone away from his ways. We didn't play Smith ball post lock down.

Which proves his core philosophy has big flaws.

Edited by villalad21

On 06/08/2020 at 08:34, ferguson1 said:

He will have learnt a lot from his first season in the Premier League.   

Post lockdown we defended better and showed excellent togetherness. Some quality additions to a now settled squad should help. 

Very likeable character, so hope he continues to progress with us. 

Very likeable chap, completely agree, I wonder what he will have learnt from last season that he should already have know. When to use the subs, his strongest team, how to get the best out of people and what to do if they dont give their best. He needs to have a nasty streak too. I hope he continues to improve our play. But would not hesitate to move him on we find ourselves bottom 3 by Christmas 

• Like 1

Â