Dean Smith

Demitri_C

45 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Piggybacking off this - tactically Dean obviously got it right after the lockdown, but we really looked rock solid once:

• Luiz took ownership of that deep lying CDM role.  He has great instincts and pace to break up play, is comfortable on the ball and in distribution.  Before lockdown he was shuffled around, played in the more forward CM slots where Hourihane and McGinn were.  
  • Konsa paired with Mings. Both have bundles of pace and moving forward should be able to cover our overlapping wing backs the way Dean likes to have them push forward.

Getting the tactics right is one thing, but how often have we seen villa managers play players out of position... getting the personnel right is the other half of the equation.  Both Luiz and Konsa looked comfortable in their roles and with their instruction - it made all the difference.

all true.

but we need some pace up front now.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TRO said:

I'm touched.

Look, He has delivered in both seasons, by the skin of our teeth, but hey .....He has delivered, fair play to him.

Now we need to support him with some quality signings and see how he continues the Journey.

Yes agreed.

It's in our best interest now to buy who Smith actually asks for, not no second or third on the list players, give Smith exactly who he wants and just let's see how he truly does then.

Only then if we buy him who he exactly needs can he be judged properly and fairly, if we buy more of the same were just going to ask for another relegation battle one we may not win and one that will be just as gruelling.

We need to start gathering the best players now.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, A'Villan said:

"Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard"

@TRO oftentimes talks about fight and winning the contested plays.

Defense is all about tenacity and stamina, anticipating and winning a contest that you're behind in.

If you can do that better than your opponents, more often than not, you're certainly in good stead.

another little pearler......yes it does and Wilder has proved it.

The paradox for me is....if we can turn the ball over higher up the pitch ( you need the players to do it) there is less distance to travel with the ball to attack.....Man City are pass masters at it.

I would target a top class ball winner, to help us with that.

Edited by TRO

On 29/07/2020 at 22:37, Keener window-cleaner said:

I wonder if we would benefit by adding an experienced name to the management team, someone like Craig Shakespeare with loads of Premier League experience and a proven track record? Perhaps it's best not to disrupt the group as it is, but I feel we lack some PL know how. Terry obviously has it from a players point of view, but is new to the management side of it. ROK seems to be a lovly man and is for sure excellent, but is unproven and unknown. Or perhaps it would undermine DS if we added an experienced name? 

I think we do, I still think we need someone as captain who really as El Capitan experience. Nothing bad to Grealish but he's not a captain and I'd much prefer he were to play his game how he knows best. Alot of the time you hardly see Jack making captain decision because alot of the time hes on the floor from opposition because he draws fouls, hes left frustrated and has to then gather himself quick and get back into the game and carry on. Grealish is all about putting pressure on opposition and is head is into that, we really do need an experienced midfielder or defender next to Mings who can captain us properly. It also would be best would it not that our captain is in Midfield or Defence and shouting orders alot easier from those positions, it has to be easier than shouting orders from the Wing, right??

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

The paradox for me is....if we can turn the ball over higher up the pitch ( you need the players to do it) there is less distance to travel with the ball to attack.....Man City are pass masters at it.

I've often thought all season long that until we improve up front at keeping the ball and shutting them out of keeping the ball then the opposition would reign over our defence. Restart proved it I think, we had seen much more of the ball up front and Luiz especially shone at cutting balls out that it freed up pressure on our defenders. Thing is our defenders looked alot less stressed in our games after restart because of the work from some frontline players and in turn could make vital defensive blocks rather than defensive blunders.

So yes I think you are right that we need not just one but two top class ball winners who excel in relieving the ball from opposition  Stick a couple of ball interceptors in midfield in front of Luiz and Jeez I think wed have a midfield capable of controlling games for very long periods much like when we were having it done to us up u till corona hit.

Very much in the way of Wingers to, our new Wingers will need to move up and down the flanks and cover defensively rather than just attack attack. Our Wingers need to be able to take on opposition Wing backs especially, theres alot of exceptional Wing backs causing grief to teams especially us  Even after restart these WBs sent alot of crosses in that could of been cut out by our Wingers as we got backed up in defence.

Edited by Dave-R

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

The reason why Wilder was able to obtain a top half finish with only 39 goals scored is because he was able to implement and instill in his players a system that not only frustrated and nullified opposition but also allowed his players to make the most of their strengths and assets. They won the second most aerial duels of any club, whilst playing the most long balls of any club. They used width to supply their two front men with more crosses than most teams in the division. I would be surprised if they are as successful next season tbh. They had the least shots on goal, least shots on target, and least goals scored in the division. Even with their organisation and cohesion, I think they have enjoyed their peak with things as they are.

I think Liverpool are the past masters of the high press, just look at the match in which Manchester City trounced Liverpool (on the scoreboard) recently. Liverpool were all over them and looked like the only team in the game for the main until City executed an efficient counter attack and scored, before that you would've thought it was going to be Liverpool's way because the ball didn't get too far from Liverpool's final third, and certainly only rarely if at all towards the half way line and on towards City's attacking half. Firminho, Mane and Salah all relentlessly close down the man and immediate outlets, as the midfield set traps for the opposition to play into. They say attack is the best form of defense and Liverpool are a case in point this season. Instead of absorbing pressure through layers of men behind the ball, they actively seek to swarm opponents at an alarming rate and frequency, and force them into errors by making them play at a pace and timing that can't be executed and maintained.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, A'Villan said:

The reason why Wilder was able to obtain a top half finish with only 39 goals scored is because he was able to implement and instill in his players a system that not only frustrated and nullified opposition but also allowed his players to make the most of their strengths and assets. They won the second most aerial duels of any club, whilst playing the most long balls of any club. They used width to supply their two front men with more crosses than most teams in the division. I would be surprised if they are as successful next season tbh. They had the least shots on goal, least shots on target, and least goals scored in the division. Even with their organisation and cohesion, I think they have enjoyed their peak with things as they are.

I think Liverpool are the past masters of the high press, just look at the match in which Manchester City trounced Liverpool (on the scoreboard) recently. Liverpool were all over them and looked like the only team in the game for the main until City executed an efficient counter attack and scored, before that you would've thought it was going to be Liverpool's way because the ball didn't get too far from Liverpool's final third, and certainly only rarely if at all towards the half way line and on towards City's attacking half. Firminho, Mane and Salah all relentlessly close down the man and immediate outlets, as the midfield set traps for the opposition to play into. They say attack is the best form of defense and Liverpool are a case in point this season. Instead of absorbing pressure through layers of men behind the ball, they actively seek to swarm opponents at an alarming rate and frequency, and force them into errors by making them play at a pace and timing that can't be executed and maintained.

• Yep, Agree with that.

but we can all get close to the ideal team, if we have the ideal players.....if not, you have to compromise, like he did.

• The second point is interesting too, because winning aerial balls gives you territorial advantage and sets the bar for physical challenge, it lets team know they are in a game.
  • I agree with you in as much you can't keep relying on defence, they do need to score more goals, I don't see them struggling, but maybe not do quite so well.
  • They do say attack is the best form of defence, but it is so difficult to sustain, and you need the best forwards around and that can be expensive.......In truth, you need both......half a team will always struggle.
  • Your final point has been one of my frustrations.....only since lockdown, have i seen an improvement......The early exploits of John McGinn was brilliant at doing that and subsequently turning the ball over.....turning defence in to attack.

For me, our fate lies in the ability to sign effective players, if we do that, anything can happen.

If we do sign some quality and Jack stays, it will be interesting to see him develop even more....he has had to focus in too many area's, to do a job for the team.....He could get even better.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I think we do, I still think we need someone as captain who really as El Capitan experience. Nothing bad to Grealish but he's not a captain and I'd much prefer he were to play his game how he knows best. Alot of the time you hardly see Jack making captain decision because alot of the time hes on the floor from opposition because he draws fouls, hes left frustrated and has to then gather himself quick and get back into the game and carry on. Grealish is all about putting pressure on opposition and is head is into that, we really do need an experienced midfielder or defender next to Mings who can captain us properly. It also would be best would it not that our captain is in Midfield or Defence and shouting orders alot easier from those positions, it has to be easier than shouting orders from the Wing, right??

Ideally, where you can see all the game....CDM's make good captains or Centre Halves, from a positional sense.

Good captains usually stand out in terms of Loyalty and leadership qualities.....Jack certainly leads by example, but at times we need a steadying influence, who can impose composure and a will to win...a "never say die" character who can rally the troups.

• Like 1

On 30/07/2020 at 07:47, ciggiesnbeer said:

Great point. I would add the work rate and sustained intensity of the average premier league player is a shock as well.  

Quote from Max Aarons >>

“This season, I’ll be dribbling with the ball and someone will track me the whole way; someone that’s probably as quick as me. Last season, I remember one of my assists for Teemu (Pukki). I was running up the pitch at Sheffield Wednesday and there was no one with me. I just thought, ‘How easy was that?’.”

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Smith at the play iff final hopefully scouting benrama and not onomah

Onomah's been outshining him thus far to be fair. VillaTalk will implode if that keeps up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Onomah's been outshining him thus far to be fair. VillaTalk will implode if that keeps up.

Glad to see him doing well. He always had the ingredients to be a player and now looks like he's found the right club to play for 

Really want him to succeed. Feel he will succeed. Such a unique proposition. Local and a Villa fan. Intertwined with the club. Local rivals are so jealous of this. Him and Jack together. I know I’m setting myself up for heartbreak but I’m a romantic.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but a piece from The Athletic on Dean is free for everyone to read today because it's their one year anniversary or some shizzle... it was written just before the restart

https://theathletic.com/1839092/

Was an interesting read I thought

Enjoyed this - thanks for posting.

• Like 2

Â