Dean Smith

Demitri_C

45 minutes ago, blunther said:

He came in part way through a season to an out of form team. Then won ten on the bounce and got promotion. Don't know what more you want from the bloke last season really. 

I expect us to at least compete in games, which too often we just don't. And as I said, even when we do play well we frequently look extremely fragile.

To anyone doubting the integrity and passion of smith, I suggest to them to watch his interview with the official site.

He is absolutely gutted, beyond gutted, he's hiding anger and you can tell he could cry. He's clearly working his balls off and bleeds for the club. He has to hide as much as he can and be positive to the players. As Dion said on SkySports, it's all about the next game now. Not 1 second to dwell. He regularly gets our lot back up for things when it's needed.

I personally am not in favour of getting rid. It's failed as a strategy in the past for us. He is improving as a manager. He knows the Championship. He is developing some young players. He's made some mistakes and he's been let down massively by players and technology all season.

Sacking and replacing with another Bruce-type appointment would drain so much interest from me. 

• Like 4

Some of the posts on here you would think Everton bashed us 5-0 and not stole a late equaliser. I dont even think Reina made a save today.

Just for clarity Everton team today probably cost close to 300 million pounds not some plucky 3rd division team that people are making it out to be

• Like 2

Smith has adapted the team several times to accommodate the big injuries over the season. He’s kept us within a chance of staying up all season with a squad of players who on the whole don’t  deserve to be playing at this level

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

To anyone doubting the integrity and passion of smith, I suggest to them to watch his interview with the official site.

He is absolutely gutted, beyond gutted, he's hiding anger and you can tell he could cry. He's clearly working his balls off and bleeds for the club. He has to hide as much as he can and be positive to the players. As Dion said on SkySports, it's all about the next game now. Not 1 second to dwell. He regularly gets our lot back up for things when it's needed.

I personally am not in favour of getting rid. It's failed as a strategy in the past for us. He is improving as a manager. He knows the Championship. He is developing some young players. He's made some mistakes and he's been let down massively by players and technology all season.

Sacking and replacing with another Bruce-type appointment would drain so much interest from me. 

Shame his teams all too often don't play with any passion at all.

And for the record, I don't think many people who want him to go want another Bruce-type appointment.

7 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

I've been following villa and football for over 45 years. Organising a defence is either something you can do or you can't. I've never known a manager learn it. 

6 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Just pointing out those things. It happens all season. To different teams. The less quality you have, it happens more often. That's where we are at. 

See, I thought we've looked alot tighter at the back recent weeks. We're improving, players are improving (Konsa in particular), this is down to coaching no? Perhaps Terry's influence too, I'd hope.

We have looked a bit better at the back but its come at the cost of our attacking threat.Cross's we get into the box come from deeper positions , we don't get to the byline and get balls in very often as the fullbacks sit deeper now particularly Targett.

My issue is we are labouring , 10 mins to go and they have used 5 subs.We have 3 to make and he does nothing and yes I know he doesn't have a great degree of options but at that points it more about fresh legs to chase and win the ball than anything else.It's also about stopping the game..bring on 2 then wait a few mins bring on another break up the flow of the game.

This not a dig at Smith but we seem to be one of a only a few clubs who have zero talent at the 18-20 age group level.Everton tonight for example had Braithwaite and Gordon.Are they current crop so bad none of them are good enough to run around with some energy to win the ball back or chase balls down the line  ?

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Shame his teams all too often don't play with any passion at all.

And for the record, I don't think many people who want him to go want another Bruce-type appointment.

Tim Sherwood teams played with passion

Passion is the biggest load of bullshit in football. None of the top teams play with passion

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Passion is the biggest load of bullshit in football. None of the top teams play with passion

Obviously there's far more to football than passion, but you do expect at least expect the team to compete in most games and simply often don't under Smith.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

personally, after much thought, I think we should give him until Christmas at least to show he can get us back up.

I think this would be a bad move. I would much rather start with a clean slate than wait and see how he does, and risk spending another season in the Championship.

• Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

Obviously there's far more to football than passion, but you do expect at least expect the team to compete in most games and simply often don't under Smith.

of course they compete you make it sound like its Lescott and Richards part 2, just because the players arent good enough doesnt mean they dont care. How many games would Hause, Samatta, Nyland, Elmo or Davis play for other Premier League teams

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

We have looked a bit better at the back but its come at the cost of our attacking threat.Cross's we get into the box come from deeper positions , we don't get to the byline and get balls in very often as the fullbacks sit deeper now particularly Targett.

My issue is we are labouring , 10 mins to go and they have used 5 subs.We have 3 to make and he does nothing and yes I know he doesn't have a great degree of options but at that points it more about fresh legs to chase and win the ball than anything else.It's also about stopping the game..bring on 2 then wait a few mins bring on another break up the flow of the game.

This not a dig at Smith but we seem to be one of a only a few clubs who have zero talent at the 18-20 age group level.Everton tonight for example had Braithwaite and Gordon.Are they current crop so bad none of them are good enough to run around with some energy to win the ball back or chase balls down the line  ?

Is it? Smith brings on very poor quality players for the PL and they make a mistake and Smith gets Bollocked by VT. He trusts the players on the pitch, he doesn't trust his bench. This much is clear. 

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

personally, after much thought, I think we should give him until Christmas at least to show he can get us back up.

But then you are choosing youre replacement from a very small pool of managers. 

Smith has one promotion to his name - he's not some promotion magican. Lots of poor managers have a got a team out of the championship.

Chris Hughton - currently unemployed for example has 2 promotions - would such a candidate be available at Christmas ?

Just now, jim said:

I think this would be a bad move. I would much rather start with a clean slate than wait and see how he does, and risk spending another season in the Championship.

Who would you recommend as manager since you only criticise Smith?

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But they do play with determination and a will to win. Something we’ve severely lacked for much of this season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

of course they compete you make it sound like its Lescott and Richards part 2, just because the players arent good enough doesnt mean they dont care. How many games would Hause, Samatta, Nyland, Elmo or Davis play for other Premier League teams

No I'm not? Just because I think we've not competed in many games doesn't mean it's been as bad as 2015/16, which it obviously hasn't.

But I'm saying now, next season when we should be going for automatic promotion, I fully expect us to simply roll over in a hefty chunk of games if Smith remains in charge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Mings, Reinna, Target , Luiz, Grealish ?

Â