Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

And yet we frequently got battered ourselves last season under Smith when Grealish was out, despite still having better players.

He came in part way through a season to an out of form team. Then won ten on the bounce and got promotion. Don't know what more you want from the bloke last season really. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nabby said:

The MF where out on their legs magnified when Everton freshened that area up.He did nothing again 

exactly GIF

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

And yet we frequently got battered ourselves last season under Smith when Grealish was out, despite still having better players.

Frequently battered. Do you have many examples of these batterings? 

I remember Wigan and maybe West Brom. Hardly frequent

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Frequently battered. Do you have many examples of these batterings? 

I remember Wigan and maybe West Brom. Hardly frequent

We weren’t battered but we looked awful. I seem to remember it was the players’ that weren’t good enough then as well. 

• Like 2

To me, keeping Smith and expecting a cake walk next season is niave in the extreme.

Fantastic as that play off run was it did open up for us - I mean we came up against derby in the final.

Keeping Smith would smack of the easy option - which might come home to roost in October/November .

I still think he will go at the season's end.

• Like 2

Smith is a decent manager squeezing a lot  out of this team. 

He’s not perfect but we has had us competitive in most games all season. It’s not like Lambert days when we weren’t creating chances. We are creating a few chances a game. It’s a shame we have had dreadful fire power all season.

Our downfall was defending set pieces and earlier in the season (and today) closing results out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

How do you know he did not so this? I saw him and heard him shouting numerous times. 

I suppose guardiola struggled last night with his game management when Bournemouth so very nearly scored 2 goals to bring it level. 

I suppose Klopp struggled with his game management when Liverpool conceded 2 quick goals not long before half time against arsenal? 

It's football, better teams will peg you back at some stage in the game. It's not like they bought on any £50m superstars off the bench is it? Oh, they did. 

When you shop for £8-10m attacking players, you get that quality. Samatta, trez, el ghazi. We defended well, broke well and had **** all up front. We were the better side, but if you were to read this thread in isolation then you'd think we'd just lost 4-0 barely having a shot.

Just because we didn't get the result we needed, it doesn't mean we didn't play well. Any other time in the season, a 1-1 draw away at a side who haven't lost at home with their current manager is a great result. Because it us, no, it's **** terrible. Grealish is shit. They're all bottle jobs and Smith is a terrible manager.

Going down won't be as a result of tonight, it's as a result of earlier results in the season. Earlier falterings, falterings which seem to have phased out (much better defensively). I know Smith won't get any credit from many for this, he does from me. 

It's not a question of credit. Can he win enough games in the top flight - can he coach his players to hold on to a narrow lead.

Much as I like the bloke the answer is "no" from me.

Without a fresh start (IE new head coach) I don't see us roaring out of the blocks next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa_shere said:

Smith is a decent manager squeezing a lot  out of this team. 

He’s not perfect but we has had us competitive in most games all season. It’s not like Lambert days when we weren’t creating chances. We are creating a few chances a game. It’s a shame we have had dreadful fire power all season.

Our downfall was defending set pieces and earlier in the season (and today) closing results out. 

Quite big drawbacks for a PL manager.

57 minutes ago, hippo said:

Everyone on here would do something different.

Its the very fine margins at this level. Lets not forget we got away with some slack defending a few minutes earlier presenting Everton with a guilt edged chance. 

Yes and that should've twigged DS to realise even though we had men behind the ball defending we were still getting carved out too easily so should've done something about it straight away.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, blunther said:

He came in part way through a season to an out of form team. Then won ten on the bounce and got promotion. Don't know what more you want from the bloke last season really. 

You do realise he won 2 in about 12 in the championship? That is unacceptable for any side, fortunately grealish came back to save him. 

5 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

How do you know he did not so this? I saw him and heard him shouting numerous times. 

I suppose guardiola struggled last night with his game management when Bournemouth so very nearly scored 2 goals to bring it level. 

I suppose Klopp struggled with his game management when Liverpool conceded 2 quick goals not long before half time against arsenal? 

It's football, better teams will peg you back at some stage in the game. It's not like they bought on any £50m superstars off the bench is it? Oh, they did. 

When you shop for £8-10m attacking players, you get that quality. Samatta, trez, el ghazi. We defended well, broke well and had **** all up front. We were the better side, but if you were to read this thread in isolation then you'd think we'd just lost 4-0 barely having a shot.

Just because we didn't get the result we needed, it doesn't mean we didn't play well. Any other time in the season, a 1-1 draw away at a side who haven't lost at home with their current manager is a great result. Because it us, no, it's **** terrible. Grealish is shit. They're all bottle jobs and Smith is a terrible manager.

Going down won't be as a result of tonight, it's as a result of earlier results in the season. Earlier falterings, falterings which seem to have phased out (much better defensively). I know Smith won't get any credit from many for this, he does from me. 

So in the entire season you are going to use 2 games in which Pep and Klopps teams had nothing to play for .In particular Liverpool conceded 2 goals from 2 huge errors from Allison and Van Dyke who in a game of any importance would never have made those errors.

We where decent , we where the better side but we let it slip because this team and IMO this manager is unable to coach/manage a side to be tight at the back.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

So in the entire season you are going to use 2 games in which Pep and Klopps teams had nothing to play for .In particular Liverpool conceded 2 goals from 2 huge errors from Allison and Van Dyke who in a game of any importance would never have made those errors.

We where decent , we where the better side but we let it slip because this team and IMO this manager is unable to coach/manage a side to be tight at the back.

Just pointing out those things. It happens all season. To different teams. The less quality you have, it happens more often. That's where we are at. 

See, I thought we've looked alot tighter at the back recent weeks. We're improving, players are improving (Konsa in particular), this is down to coaching no? Perhaps Terry's influence too, I'd hope.

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yes and that should've twigged DS to realise even though we had men behind the ball defending we were still getting carved out too easily so should've done something about it straight away.

Dean Smith only makes changes over wr concede. We all know that.

Didnt even do that today. Woeful manager. Absolutely out of his depth 

Just don’t think he is a very good coach and his CV backs that up... It’s a job too big for him which is sad in many ways but can’t be sentimental. He is an attack minded coach without ideas on how to attack if plan a) doesn’t work. To be a top level attack minded coach/manager  you need more in your locker than just the ethos to attack, you need patterns of play, set moves to work and create space, and most of all triangles... We don’t seem to do much triangular moving of the ball. 

Edited by thabucks

38 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Frequently? I think we only lost 3 times in that spell of like 15 games. We just didn't win enough.

7 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Just pointing out those things. It happens all season. To different teams. The less quality you have, it happens more often. That's where we are at. 

See, I thought we've looked alot tighter at the back recent weeks. We're improving, players are improving (Konsa in particular), this is down to coaching no? Perhaps Terry's influence too, I'd hope.

The problem is it happens to us more often than not. 17 times we’ve conceded in the last 15. 

That has to sit on the managers shoulders. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mantis said:

That's a bit of a myth. We had more expensive players. For some reason people thought the club spending stupid money on them with, no regards to style of football, ment they were better than the rest of the league. Never was the case. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jim said:

The problem is it happens to us more often than not. 17 times we’ve conceded in the last 15. 

That has to sit on the managers shoulders. 

Of course the manager will have to shoulder some responsibility. but like I said, the less quality you have, the more it happens to you.

• Like 1

Â